• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Cover Flow on 5-5.5G iPods?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

L33tG4m3r

iPod, therefore I am
Do you think there will be an update that lets you use cover flow on older iPods, such as the 5G and 5.5G? Or is Apple going to drop all firmware support for us and just let the rest of us who can't afford the new iPods stay with the old menus and w/out Cover Flow? Opinions?

a113524c

L33tG4m3r said:
Do you think there will be an update that lets you use cover flow on older iPods, such as the 5G and 5.5G? Or is Apple going to drop all firmware support for us and just let the rest of us who can't afford the new iPods stay with the old menus and w/out Cover Flow? Opinions?
No apple wants to make money, they are not going to release a free upgrade with cover flow and new menu for the 5.5G when they want you to buy the iPod classic with cover flow and new menu

iPod Dance

They gave us gapless playback through an update, which is all I ever wanted.

paranoidxe

I don't understand is there something I'm not getting..is there anything to coverflow other than a good visual? Why is everyone creaming their pants about it? Seriously, I saw it on the keynote and it wasn't that neat.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
paranoidxe said:
I don't understand is there something I'm not getting..is there anything to coverflow other than a good visual? Why is everyone creaming their pants about it? Seriously, I saw it on the keynote and it wasn't that neat.

I said this in another thread. Though Coverflow is over rated as a music browsing method, just wait until you see it as part of the Leopard file browser. That's the future of the application.

kylo4

I'm not so hyped about coverflow that I'd buy a new iPod for it, but paranoid, I think people like it so much because it gives them the feeling of thumbing through their records instead of file names and digital music. It makes it feel more real to them. Thats all I can think of.

phillytim

No update for coverflow on the 5.x Gen. Are you kidding? Apple releases new products and never ever looks back. What financial incentive would there be to give the old gen features of the new? Absolutely none.

mjmoonwalker

Website
eminemjamesuk.com
L33tG4m3r said:
I don't think Apple is going to be guilt tripped into adding Cover Flow for older iPods just because a minority of people who already have iPods can't afford new ones...

Money is money!

Sprawl

I'd like to see it. I saw the video rumour circulating about it and was excited.

However, their could just simply be a hardware limitation. If thats the case, So be it. Cover flow is not going to make me toss away a perfectly working 5G to go buy a Classic. Nor is going from the 60gb to the 120gb when i've only got about 30gb of music.

Apple wouldn't lose anything buy making it available for the 5g's. How many owners of a 5g are going to go out and buy a classic? I expect this move is to get more 4g and older users to move to a newer ipod as well as the people who havnt got one yet. And since the 5g wont be sold anymore, giving the software upgrade to it wouldn't harm sales of new Classics. (which are probably just 5g's with a new "shiny" look)

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
This happens every time there's an iPod update. Lots and lots of people cry for a backward compatible software upgrade. It never happens. Why? because Apple wants you to buy new hardware to get the new software features. Simple as that.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
We get this everytime there is a new update to iPods.

Generally you aren't going to see a firmware update seeing the new features of an iPod in an old model. The best example of this is when the third gen (classic :p) came out with on-the-go playlists. The 1st and 2nd gen "classics" (there you go kylo :p) were really ####ed on this. They went a long time without, but eventually it was brought to these older models, as was the "shuffle songs" on the main menu of 4G's was brought to previous models as well.

So, don't hold your breath people, but if it's "possible" one day we might see an update to older firmware. Apple won't completely leave the other firmware behind, but it is time to move on.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Surf Monkey said:
This happens every time there's an iPod update. Lots and lots of people cry for a backward compatible software upgrade. It never happens. Why? because Apple wants you to buy new hardware to get the new software features. Simple as that.
Yes, it really is as simple as that when it comes right down to it, but it's not born merely out of a desire to force people into new iPods, but also from a desire to not expend revenue on discontinued models.

It is never as simple of a matter as just releasing the same firmware for the older-model iPods. Even if it were 100% compatible (which is frequently is not), Apple would still have to actually go through some proper R&D to test it, and be able to support it on an ongoing basis (for instance, who is responsible if a new firmware update breaks your out-of-warranty iPod?).

The point is that there is effort and expense involved, and any amount of effort or expense is simply not justifiable on Apple's part from a business point of view when they'd rather you buy a new one outright.

mbarry

Pictureflow somewhat works on Rockbox. Check it out at Rockbox.org. There is absolutly no risk in adding Rockbox.

hyroboarder

mbarry said:
Pictureflow somewhat works on Rockbox. Check it out at Rockbox.org. There is absolutly no risk in adding Rockbox.
Barely, I had it a while ago. All it shows is the album art of the song you're listening to and then 5 or so covers to the left and right that are already preset and never change.. It's basically just a background.

For example if you click "next song" the previous album art you werel looking at won't go back one in the flow, it just disappears.

Kurodono

I found something

Aparently, there already is a hack for the Ipod to give it cover flow and the classic's menu. <a href="www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M21nVSZuvQ">Take a look</a>

Kaspar 15

The Cover Flow and split-screen UI really make you think, that it's a Classic. But, only in my opinion, it's a 5G, because
a) it looks like one - the white shell with grey Click Wheel;
b) the screen font doesn't look like the one used in Classic;
c) the split-screen is out of proportions. After looking at iLounge's review of Classic, the split-screen in Classic divides the screen in half, but in the YouTube video, the left side is wider than the right side.
But that's only my opinion, as already beforementioned.