Cover Artists

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dedelstein

I'd like to create a playlist that has all of the songs sung by different artists, that is, songs covered by different artists. I think I can do it the hard way - sorting my library by song name and then manually adding songs to a playlist. I'm looking for an automated way to do this.

Any ideas? Thanks!

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
If you know how to use MS Excel you can copy what you see in your library and paste into a worksheet, then use Excel to find duplicates of song names, then use the results to (manually) build the playlist. I don't know of any automated process within iTunes, unless there is a 3rd party script out there for this purpose.

dedelstein

I had the same idea and created a spreadsheet as you suggest. I was hoping there'd be some script someplace that would automate what will be several hours of effort. Thanks!

ScoobZ

You'll always need human intervention. Just because two songs have the same name doesn't mean they are the same song.

dedelstein

Thanks ScoobZ. I'm creating the playlist manually. It will take some time but it is probably the best way to go, especially given your comment. By the way, I back up my library using Time Machine. Works great.

ScoobZ

Cool. I have a similar cover list, but I break it into two different lists under one folder. One list is the original artist, the other list is/are the cover version(s). And yep, it's a manual effort for me too, but I don't mind.

My backup message is my signature rather than directed at you personally. I'm glad you have a system in place though. When you need it, you'll be very glad you have it. [Notice I said when, not if. ;) ]