corrupted library in iTunes?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Derek70

First off, i do not have a mac i have a hewlet Packerd, (sorry can not spell) and Windows 7 (i think, the one with the icon fences) but my problem is with my itunes i keep getting an error message saying "the itunes library can not be saved the disc structure is corrupted and unreadable" What does that mean and should i be worried and most importantly WHY? :confused::confused::(

cjmnews

Staff member
That means that your hard drive is really dying hard.

You need to replace it or attempt to fix it. I used a program called SpinRite to fix my son's hard drive that was giving me similar errors.

Derek70

I'm using avast. I cleaned out some infected files, i do not know how much are in there. it takes forever to do a ful system scan, i think maybe 5 hours. i restarted my com. it did a "boot time scan, The itunes doesn't do that now. so MAYBE....

cjmnews

Staff member
Infections and hard drive issues are separate problems.

Hard Drive issues means that ALL of your information that is in your computer is at risk of being lost.

You need to either attempt to repair the hard drive (SpinRite) or replace the hard drive, copying everything that you can get off of it to the new drive.

The boot scan could help the drive see some of the errors, but without a thorough scan, the drive may still have errors, and that may cause you to lose files.

Derek70

I'm running a full system scan now using avast. i already did it once using the quick scan, now i'm uisng the full scan which may take about 5 hours...UGGH! During that boot time scan from the first time i dleted 5 or 6 infected file, but lost count. i just turned my computer back on, it was slow starting so something could still be in there. :(
But i did back everything up on CDs and portable drive. so, that parts OK. its just i will have to retag some of my music. thats OK.

cjmnews

Staff member
Slow start up can also be a sign of a dying hard drive. Don't ignore it. (Avast does nothing for your hard drive health). Either get a tool like SpinRite, or image (copy) the drive to a new drive.

Slow start up can also be attributed to not enough free space, as well as adware or virus infections.

You can get free space from emptying the files from:
C:\Users\<login>\AppData\Local\Temp
C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files
C:\Temp
C:\Windows\Temp
The Recycle Bin

Derek70

i have 243GB free of 572GB on my Local Disc (C), 3.35GB free of 23.0GB on Recovery (D), 89.1MB free of 99.3MB of HP_TOOLS (F).
To speed the scan up. which folderss do you think would have infected files? I tried to go to C:\Users\<login>\AppData\Local\Temp, i got up the "/users" but could not find<login> in the folder. only 3 folders "derek", "fbwuser" and "Public"

Last edited:

alice04

@cjmnews is correct. It either your hardware is failing or you did not update your iTunes on your computer. Try to uninstall unnecessary software as well.

cjmnews

Staff member
Sorry, I forget that not everyone knows that you substitute data that is inside of <> in your case you would use derek.

Derek70

OK, this is late news. but i scanned there were only a couple of "low-risk" adwares but i deleted them. everything seems OK. but i do not know how deep the scan went into those folders. :/

cjmnews

Staff member
The scan you need is one that looks at the internal structure of your file system on your hard drive. No piece of free software that I am aware of, can do this type of scan.

Your description makes it sound like your hard drive is dying. You need to scan and fix it or replace it.

Get technical help if this is unclear. Your entire computer sounds like it is at risk of losing all your data. Hope you have backups of everything you want to keep that is on that hard drive.