Copytrans questions (I have several!)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

a7dk

Hi everyone. It finally happened (it was bound to, eventually) - my hard drive crashed. Fortunately, all my music and other media files were backed up onto an external drive, so the files are fine. However, when I reimported the files into iTunes after getting a new hard drive, all my ratings & playcounts, etc. were gone. So I am thinking of getting Copytrans to copy the files back with all the metadata since that is a major component of how my music is organized. So now I have a couple of questions.

1. My iTunes library is currently populated like a brand-new library, with all my songs but no metadata. My ipod, on the other hand, is still fine since I have yet to sync it. If I use Copytrans to copy the files back, do I first need to empty iTunes or will the program know to replace the files with the ones from the ipod?

2. Once I copy all the files back into iTunes, will iTunes still recognize these files as the same ones currently housed in my external hard drive? Will it still sync properly?

I've never had to do this before so please feel free to add any other advice you think is prudent.

Thank you!

a7dk

thank you! I didn't think anyone would ever respond so I just went ahead and did it. I didn't empty the library and I also didn't empty my music folder, so I guess I'll have to deal with the duplicates unfortunately. The first time something went wrong and it only copied about 30 of 7000 or so songs. I'm on the second try now. It's already copied the files and is working on importing them into ITunes, but itunes keeps getting frozen so this may take awhile.

IpodRocks7

I have the same exact question as a7dk.

Musika, to do a repopulation of Itunes from scratch, is it necessary to delete the contents of the Itunes folder? Or can you merely move the contents of the folder into another folder and leave the Itunes folder empty? I assume that has the same effect.

a7dk - do you have any insights about using Copytrans for this process two months later? Last night, I used Copytrans (after my external hard drive failed and I bought another one) to transfer my 160 gb Ipod Classic contents to the new external drive (the Ipod to folder backup option on Copytrans). I have not yet repopulated Itunes, which, like your situation back in January, is still full of data.