• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Copying or Moving?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

eqblues

Blue since the 70's
Didnt know what forum this question should go in, so I put it here. Mods, feel free to move it if you consider it more appropiate for another forum. Anyway, heres it is:

When moving a large amount of files (namely, all my songs. About 20.000 of them), from my PC, to an external HD, should I use the COPY option (instead of "Move to"), and only after Im sure they didnt somehow get corrupted during the copy process, delete the originals.

OR

Just highlight them all and hit "Move to"?

I figured copying them would be safer, but if theres some reason why I should do it the other way, Id like to know. (Which would be more reliable?). Any thoughts?

Sparkee

It would definitely better to copy them first then to delete them. Even though the Move command works 99% of the time you are at risk. There has been reports of both recent versions of Mac and Windows (now all fixed I believe) that would delete the originals if there was a problem with the "Move" transfer.

The move command was supposed to do the same as a copy/delete, but I believe it copied them to the clipboard then deleted the originals then went on with the rest of the copying. Once in the clipboard if the system crashed you would lose all your files not copied over yet.

Cold Irons

I'll 2nd that opinion. Copy, double-check (and triple check) that the copy worked, then delete. Worth a little more time just for the peace of mind.

electrozoid

Apple Pie Eater
There is a difference between COPY and MOVE with regards to permissions. If you MOVE the files the permissions are kept as they were from the original folders. If you COPY the permissions are inherited from the destination folder. If you are on a system with multiple accounts you might want to take this into consideration.

MOVE has always been coded as a COPY and DELETE in succession. To have it done otherwise is just dumb programing, I really find it hard to believe any idiot changed this. Specially since internally these are DOS commands which have been around for ages unchanged.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Move should be fine.

if yer really anal though, open a DOS box and manually issue the COPY /V commnad (copy with verify or read-back). Is gonna take 2x as long but if it makes u happier....

ThisisCraigP

down for whatever
eqblues said:
Didnt know what forum this question should go in, so I put it here. Mods, feel free to move it if you consider it more appropiate for another forum. Anyway, heres it is:

When moving a large amount of files (namely, all my songs. About 20.000 of them), from my PC, to an external HD, should I use the COPY option (instead of "Move to"), and only after Im sure they didnt somehow get corrupted during the copy process, delete the originals.

OR

Just highlight them all and hit "Move to"?

I figured copying them would be safer, but if theres some reason why I should do it the other way, Id like to know. (Which would be more reliable?). Any thoughts?
i moved my parents iTunes to an external drive a long time ago and long story short never drag and drop on a PC. because all of the songs after the transfer wouldn't play anymore.
dragging and dropping has never failed me on OS X.