Copy & Backup: iPhone XR music library to iPhone 13 Mini (512GB) - How?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Riddlick51PB

I know this is the place for the answers I seek. ok, i have an iphone XR and my iPhone 13 Mini 512GB will be here in a week. I want to emphasize to you that I have a 32GB library of music on my iPhone XR. I do NOT want to lose this music that I have toiled and toiled to put on my iPhone XR. I do have a subscription to "Apple Music". I have no idea whether that is helpful. I'm prepared to spend a little bit of money to ensure that I do not lose this 32GB of music. I know that 32GB of music is hardly worth bothering with, but I assure you, I toiled over each and every track, putting in album/artist data on every track.

1. How do I back up this 32GB of music? iCloud ?
  2. How do I get this iPhone XR music library onto my new iPhone 13 Mini ?

cjmnews

Staff member
It sounds like this 32 GB of music is your personal library from iTunes. Not from Apple Music. You had this music on your phone before you signed up for Apple Music. You use Apple Music on another device like Sonos not the iPhone XR.

Is that correct?

Then you should have iTunes set up with this music. Hopefully backed up elsewhere too.
The iPhone XR is currently syncing this music from iTunes.

The procedure would be:
  1. setup the iPhone 13 from the iPhone XR backup.
  2. in iTunes, turn on syncing Music for the iPhone 13, click apply. Apple Music will turn that off by default.
  3. when the message about replacing media from another library appears, allow it to do that.
  4. After this completes, the music will be on the iPhone 13.
If you don’t have a copy of the music in iTunes, you will need to purchase 3rd party software to back it up to iTunes. Hopefully it is all m4a (AAC) format to guarantee all your work is not lost. If some are MP3, then you may lose any metadata that is not embedded in the tags. You may also lose playlists. A lot of these solutions don’t do playlists.

3rd party options:
copytrans, easeus, wondershare, leawo, syncios

In the past, CopyTrans was the go to software.
In the past, Leawo was a partner of ilounge.
I currently use the free version of Syncios to get photos off my iPhone since Apple, Adobe and Microsoft can’t seem to work nicely together. Never tried to do music.

Let me know if my assumptions are incorrect. I can figure out other options.

Riddlick51PB

From Syncios website: Two ways to migrate data from old iPhone to iPhone 13

I should be good with either of those solutions above to copy data from old iPhone to new iPhone 13 Mini, right? Of course, I understand that I might lose some data as you suggested. Just one other thing: I really would like to have a "Backup" of my iPhone music on another source. That I'm really interested in. Once all the music is on the iPhone 13 Mini, can I back up the music to, say, a 256 GB USB flash drive? Just so that I have a backup of the music.

The following addresses your assumptions:
  • I had an iPod Video which I lent to my friend. He, unfortunately, passed away and of course, I didn't feel like I should lay claim to my iPod. This iPod I managed with iTunes on PC.
  • I currently do not have iTunes installed on my reset PC. iTunes Store is on my iPhone XR - but I cannot see any of my music there.
  • If I select "Apple Music" from the iPhone XR homescreen, I then select "Library", then select "Downloaded" I can see all my music there.
  • Correct, this music was on my phone before I signed up for "Apple Music." I just signed up for the 3 months free of "Apple Music," thinking it would have a "Backup" feature. of course, i probly did not research Apple Music very well.

cjmnews

Staff member
I am glad to see that the tracks are in Downloaded. That means they have not been corrupted by Apple Music Service or iCloud Music Library.

I try to tell people not to use these services if they want to keep their CD rips, or other downloaded music and their playlists.
The Apple Music service assumes all music will be streamed to your device.

You should have iTunes on a computer and backup (preferably encrypted) the iPhone to that computer.
  • No backup means if the phone dies, everything is lost.
  • iCloud backup means if the phone dies, the photos and music are lost.
  • iTunes backup without encryption means if the phone dies, passwords, health data and some Authenticator codes are lost.
  • iTunes backup with encryption means if the phone dies, nothing is lost.
You can see why I say you need to migrate the data to iTunes. Unfortunately, you can't sync the music from the iPhone to iTunes directly which is why you need the 3rd party application.

The typical advice for people that want to have their original music and sign up for the Apple Music service is to have an offline backup especially if they plan on using iCloud Music Library too. Then when they quit the free trial, they will still have their music to restore from the backup.

Apple Music service tracks can be downloaded to iTunes and your iPhone for offline playback, but they are removed when you quit the service. If you happen to download a track that you already own, it will be overwritten with the Apple Music Service version and it will be gone when the service is ended.

Sure you can have a backup elsewhere. I backup my iTunes to a removable drive that I store in a fire box so a house fire will not wipe me out.
If you get a 3rd party application that can back up your music, it should be able to put it anywhere even a flash drive. You'll need to keep the 3rd party software to be able to restore the music to a new device if you lose the current iPhone.

If you have it in iTunes, all you need is is iTunes to restore the backup to the new device.

Riddlick51PB

For anyone knowledgeable: Ok, the software I bought is "Syncios Mobile Manager." If I bought the wrong software, please advise and I'll buy the one required for the task.

I ran Syncios, then i ran iTunes. Probly ill to do that. Then I disconnected my old iPhone XR. If I open iTunes on my PC, I don't see any music under the "Downloaded" section - that is with both of my phones disconnected from the computer.

I don't suppose I could prod you into something akin to the exact steps I need to copy the downloaded music in my iPhone XR to my computer's iTunes?

I've probly got 48 hours before I have to send in my old phone for credit against my new one. So I guess you could say "time is of the essence."

cjmnews

Staff member
Where did the music go when Syncios copied it? Is it in a folder? If so you can import the folder into iTunes, which will add all the music from that folder structure.

The easiest way is to drag for folder from File Explorer and drop onto iTunes in the upper left side just under the Music section. This works even if you moved it into the ITunes music folder. Just add the Music folder and all the new music will be added.

As mentioned before, people had luck in the past using CopyTrans.

Riddlick51PB

turns out i found where the music got backed up to. then it was just moving those mp3/mp4's into iTunes. crisis averted.