converting to Audiobook Itunes 11.04

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

pursuant

I have seen this issue discussed before for Itunes 11. I have read the solutions, turning off Itunes match ( not relevant because it is not turned on) and in the "get info" selecting genre as audiobook as well as under options to audiobook. Neither of these worked. It used to work fine. In fact I loaded one book in and then it just quit converting them. They show up as music files still. If I sort thru my music artists, I can find the files. The individual files will not allow me to change anything, only of I do all the files together will it give me the options to change to audiobook. When I do this, it does nothing. It won't even allow me to "skip while shuffling". Is this a bug is it some kind of corruption in the program?

cjmnews

Staff member
It is there.

Select all the tracks from the book (click, scroll to other end then hold Shift and then click)
Right click one of the tracks, choose Get Info
Click on the Options Tab
Change the drop down for Media Kind to Audiobook and click OK.

That will automatically set the skip on shuffle and remember playback position.

No conversion needed.

Individual tracks work exactly the same way.

pursuant

converting to audiobook

Thanks
Yes that is the procedure I have used for years in converting mp3 files to audio books. But the result is that nothing happens, no conversion , its as if I hadn't alter the files at all. Whats funny is that I added a book in mp3 form and converted it to audiobook just before this happened. All subsequent books have had the problem described. Its almost as if something got altered. Another issue that has been coming up that may be related is that every time I start Itunes I get this message saying the library can't be found. I cancel this then restart and it works fine. I am beginning to think the program is corrupted?

cjmnews

Staff member
This process does not alter the files at all. It just tells iTunes and iPods to treat this file differently than a normal music file. Doing this should remove them from the music section. So it seems you may have a library problem.

There can be a number of causes of that. The no library, then restart and library is there hints that a virus scanner is locking the file when iTunes is accessing it. You can either try telling the program to only check files that are written to the drive rot exclude the iTunes folder.

This behavior combined with the audiobook behavior hints that you my have a read only iTunes folder or lack of ownership on the folder structure. I put a post on how to fix this http://forums.ilounge.com/itunes-related-mac-pc-applications/78628-cant-change-info-itunes-2.html#post1429016

You can always uninstall and reinstall if you think the software is the problem.

pursuant

converting to audiobook

Thanks so much for the assistance.
Yes , the Itune folder is read only . I went into permissions and every user has full control. I did go to back to properties and undid the read only but it had no effect on changing files to audiobooks. I also went to my virus program and excluded the itunes folder. Still negative results. Any other advice besides uninstalling? By the way when I do that there won't be any problems with finding the library again. It is set at the default setting.

Thanks

cjmnews

Staff member
Did you check the Ownership? That could be the problem.

Usually uninstall/reinstall causes no issues. I always have a backup of my iTunes Library.itl file just in case.

cjmnews

Staff member
If you read that post, it goes through the ownership section as well as permissions. Yes Ownership is different than permissions.

pursuant

I found ownership and the user information corresponds to it so I am the owner.

cjmnews

Staff member

pursuant

Thanks,
yes it points to the correct location.And there has not been a re-occurrence of the missing library file.
And no its not on an external drive.
Still this issue with audio files is there. Could there be something in the files themselves? They are files I had sent to me by a friend who has the book .

pursuant

heres some additional information. I downloaded a couple of audio book off the web. They were in mp3 format. I transferred them to itunes. Then re designated them audio books. Nothing happened. I went into the files made sure that the genre was audiobook and it went into the folder for audiobooks. I then did with the other and no success. I renamed the artist as the authors name and it went into the audiobook folder. These were single mp3 files not large groups as with the other audiobooks i wanted changed. Any ideas why this happened?

cjmnews

Staff member
If the files themselves are read-only or not imported into your library, then I suppose that could make the Audiobook flag not stick, though I would doubt that would be the case.

If they were purchased under another Apple ID, then YES that could cause all sorts of problems making them unplayable, etc.

Can you play the tracks in iTunes.

cjmnews

Staff member
Setting the Genre does very little, setting the Media Kind is the trick that should do what you want.

There should be no change to the files themselves, other than moving based on Media Kind. They should skip when shuffle is turned on.

pursuant

Thanks
Yes the media kind is the only one I have used in the past to move the files but I was grasping at straws as to what I could do to fix the problem. I deleted all the files and added them again. Then highlighted them went to get info, then options, then selected audiobook. Same result, no movement. They never change to audio books but still stay as music. I tried changing the genre again and it also stays the same, either fiction, or other . Yet when I did a single file mp3 I moved it to audiobook. I am going to try again and download a multiple file audiobook and see what a new one does.

pursuant

The new book worked, no problems moving to audio books. It must be the files for those other books. They only thing that could have been the problem is that when this didn't work I was getting that message saying that Itunes couldn't find the library. Maybe that had something to do with it?
On another note, is there a way to arrange the files in itunes audiobooks so in my Ipod they will be grouped together? Right now i have files in alphabetical order and the files are located all over .

Thanks

cjmnews

Staff member
I recommend that you use playlists to manage audiobooks, or use the audiobook section to see it as a single item.

Here is a post I made on the playlist method. http://forums.ilounge.com/books-spoken-word/273694-sync-audiobook-position-between-devices.html#post1418736

Be sure that your books are tagged correctly with track number and disc numbers. If they are MP3 files be sure to right click the files after the tags are updated and choose Convert ID3 and choose version 2.3 to write those tags to the MP3 files.

pursuant

thanks, The playlist idea is a good one, its the work around I was using to keep those two audiobooks together. The tagging looks pretty labor intensive. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for all your assistance

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Since these files are mp3, what ID3 tag version are they? (look in Get Info) If they are v2.4 then that may be the problem since that version seems to be tweaky with iTunes, v2.3 works much more reliably.