converting mP3 audiobooks to M4b format

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

studleydudley

iMad about iPod
Can someone confirm that if you have audiobooks in .mp3 format and you want to convert them to m4b (so that they are identified specifically under the audiobook menu) you have to manually change the postfix .mp3 to read .m4b?

eg:
before: chapter 1 track 1.mp3
after: chapter 1 track1.m4b

Or is there something that will do that for me?

I understand and have read these have to be done in stereo to not get pausing issues and to keep the files under 100mb.

Thanks

dordale

studleydudley--

Assuming you are running windows, you are missing a step. The file must first be converted to aac (which will have an m4a extension) then you need to manually change the extension to .m4b. If you have alot of files, I recommend using a program called Markable that will automate the whole conversion and renaming process. Markable is shareware ($15) but does have a free trial. You can download it from:

http://www.ipodsoft.com/index.php?/software/markable

Now, if you're computer is a mac, just ignore everything above. You'll need to run a script on all of your files to change them into bookmarkable files. I believe that there is a link to this script in the software section of this website, but I'm not sure.

Hope this helps--
dordale :)

studleydudley

iMad about iPod
excellent. Thanks for you help. And sorry to have 2 posts going. I was talking to the other chap at the same time.

I already used a program to convert the file en masse but when I did it (in the same way you described) I got protected files.

Is this normal?

Thanks

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
And make sure that the files you end up with are STEREO not mono.

Mono .m4b files are pure poison on your iPod and will create lock-ups, freezes, even an apparently dead iPod. I know, it happened to me just yesterday and now I'm an evangelist.

Can we get an article about this in the iPod Lounge news section?

studleydudley

iMad about iPod
ok got it all and its working well. My PC is old and convertion times are lengthy. One question concerning Markable software.

Does it do anything apart from change the file extension and reload into itunes.

I was wondering cause I have hundreds of files to convert and if I just convert them with another program they'll still be as good as if I had conveerted them with Markable.

Thanks

robert

Retired
Just make mp3 files bookmarkable with a tag. No AAC conversion necessary.

MarkAble places the files into iTunes Library and directs iTunes to convert the files to AAC (this is what takes so long), and after doing so, renames and performs the file management necessary to place the converted files properly in the iTunes Library.

Since you have mp3 files and if you have a clickwheel ipod, use the markAble make mp3 bookmarkable process for click wheels only. It is quick and easy, giving you the choice of a full AAC conversion or mp3 bookmarking tag at the "convert all" step. This will avoid the lengthy AAC conversion, but the resulting files will not list in audiobooks main menu, will not play faster or slower, and will not be skipped in main menu shuffle. -- problems acceptable to most and some of which can be over come with smart playlists.

Jonboy suggests doing a right click on the mp3 files and changing ID3 to none to avoid problems with mono and long files and reports no problems with mono files and up to 26 hour files. Moriond thinks that selecting an older version of ID3 may do the trick. You can do this on an mp3 file before or after conversion to bookmarking if you do not choose the full AAC conversion. In iTunes Library, Right click the mp3 file (or a highlighted group of mp3 files) and select convert ID3, and choose none or possibly a lower numbered v if you wish to retain the tag.

Please report back if this works,and which worked (none or lower version), to eliminate freezes (lockups) and bookmarking problems on mono and long (over 5 hour) files.

Last edited:

studleydudley

iMad about iPod
ok, at the moment I've converted the files to AAC 48kbps Stereo Voice filtering from standard Mp3.

Markable is doing a wicked job of converting them all to .m4b and adding them back into itunes. Not sure about click wheel I'm using a 3rd gen buttons under the screen.

I'm still keeping the Mp3's in a folder but not listed in my iTunes library.

Thanks

robert

Retired
studleydudley said:
Not sure about click wheel I'm using a 3rd gen buttons under the screen.

I'm still keeping the Mp3's in a folder but not listed in my iTunes library.

Thanks
MarkAble will not convert an mp3 to bookmarkable mp3 usable with any but click wheel, so that leaves you out with a 3G with buttons under the display.

Rapid85

I use MelodyCan. It is the best, easiest and fastest converter I found. You can try it)