Converting 192 to 128

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kylo4

I've ripped all my music at 192kbps VBR AAC and due to some (now, although I'm only nineteen) hearing problems, I can no longer tell the difference like I could before between the two bit rates. To save battery life and space on my iPod, I've been seriously considering converting all of those songs down to 128 AAC VBR (or just AAC if that's how it needs to be). My only qualm about it is the potential sound quality loss. I'd rerip the CD's, but I don't want to put the stress on the drive again.

So my question is, will there be sound loss due to the conversion, or because these tracks are 192 and going to 128, will it be fine?

dirtpeach

Yes there will be quality loss. Whether that quality loss is audible to you has to be tested blindly with an ABX test.

My advice stick with the files you have. Hard drives and iPods can only get bigger in capacity so converting to 128 may cause you regret in the future.

kylo4

I'm doing just that, it's too time consuming to back and rip them again and I use my iPod with good headphones and with a huge stereo so the sound should still be there. There's always the option of just ripping all new CD's at 128 from now on to save space.