Confirmed iPod bugs.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Website
www.hamsterdance.com
Let's do our best to keep an accurate tally of the bugs introduced (or still existing) in iPod OS 2.0.

Please only post to this thread if:

1. You have news that Apple has confirmed, acknowledged, or fixed one of the bugs mentioned here. If you can post a link to the confirmation, we'll edit the top post to reflect it.

2. You have found a new bug and have already discussed it in another thread. Link to the thread where you announced your bug. The reason for this is that it might not be a bug, it might be something you're doing wrong. The idea for this thread is bugs, not tech support, so we want to make sure that other people are experiencing your bug.

::------------------------------------------------------------------------------::

When a user manually turns the backlight on, the backlight can and does turn off while the user is still accessing menus. The backlight should stay on light as long you are browsing the menus, and then time out to turn off, like it did with 1.2.x.
Not acknowledged by Apple.

The iPod sometimes skips to the next song in the list at a certain point in some songs; this is not a random skip, it's always at the same position in the song. If the user skips past that point the rest of the song will play normally. The same songs play flawlessly on the computer and on the iPod OS 1.2.x.

There is a slight "clicking" distortion between songs or as the tracks are skipped; this also happens as songs play normally (all from the same list - so it isn't seeking on playlist or random play).

The hard drive spins up after every song. On 1.2.x, the hard drive would only spin up to refill the buffer, and then only when the buffer is nearly empty.

If a user pauses playback and allows the iPod to go to sleep, no audio comes from the iPod when the user wakes the iPod up and resumes playback. This bug does not happen 100% of the time. This bug has happened both when using the wired remote and when using the iPod without the remote. Sometimes, but not all the time, when this bug exhibits itself, the clock will reset to 12:00 AM.

The left and right channels swap sides after you pause and resume playback.
Acknowledged by Apple

The iPod will not "wake up" from sleep mode; no buttons will respond. This bug most often exhibits itself when the user has paused playback and put the iPod on HOLD, though it has exhibited itself with no involvement of the HOLD switch. The user must then either toggle the HOLD switch on and off or reboot the iPod to get any response from any buttons. Toggling the HOLD switch works intermittently; rebooting works every time.
Acknowledged by Apple

Sometimes the iPod will lock up when browsing in menus for no obvious reason, requiring a reboot. On average, an iPod running 2.0 must be rebooted much more often then the old version.

Clearing the "On the go" playlist while it is being played ends playback immediately. Adding content to the "On the go" playlist while it is playing will not result in the new content being played; the user must re-start playback of the "On the go" playlist to hear the new content.

Last edited:

c.c.r.

Joe,

This is an excellent idea. I will make this post sticky (unless someone beats me to it).

I have modified the content of your original post and added all of the bugs from the old forums, in the format that you have laid down.

I don't know which of these bugs have been confirmed and which haven't, so I'd also like to lay out some ground rules for this thread.

Please only post to this thread if:

1. You have news that Apple has confirmed, acknowledged, or fixed one of the bugs mentioned here. If you can post a link to the confirmation, we'll edit the top post to reflect it.

2. You have found a new bug and have already discussed it in another thread. Link to the thread where you announced your bug. The reason for this is that it might not be a bug, it might be something you're doing wrong. The idea for this thread is bugs, not tech support, so we want to make sure that other people are experiencing your bug.

The moderators (and Joe, since he's the author! :D) will keep an eye here and try to keep the top post as up to date as we can. All we ask is that folks keep this thread locked on-target and only post confirmations or new real bugs.

Cheers!

PS to Snorlax: Thanks very much for putting up the post in the old forums and I hope you don't mind that I plagiarized the heck out of it for this post.

Last edited:

Snorlax

c.c.r. said:
Joe,
PS to Snorlax: Thanks very much for putting up the post in the old forums and I hope you don't mind that I plagiarized the heck out of it for this post.
np, I just wanted the iPod to be bug-free, and I'll guess this'll help..

Rob

#4 is not really a bug, it's the new buffering method. It makes the iPod more skip proof. I do hope they include an option to choose new or old buffering method though so you can conserve battery life.

mongoos150

No, #4 is definately a bug. As suggested I have run programs that detect corrupt files and I have come up negative. It is definately a bug!!!

Last edited:

Kenny

Super Man
mongoos150 said:
No, #4 is definately a bug. As suggested I have run programs that detect corrupt files and I have come up negative for files that skip on the iPod (to another file). It is definately a bug!!!
Can you explain what you're saying? From my understanding, you dont have any corrupt files, and your iPod isnt skipping? huh?

Rob

mongoos150 said:
No, #4 is definately a bug. As suggested I have run programs that detect corrupt files and I have come up negative for files that skip on the iPod (to another file). It is definately a bug!!!
"#4" meant 4th one from the top in the original post. The issue with the hard drive spinning up more frequently -- NOT the issue with tracks with minor defects skipping. Chill yo.

mongoos150

Rob said:
"#4" meant 4th one from the top in the original post. The issue with the hard drive spinning up more frequently -- NOT the issue with tracks with minor defects skipping. Chill yo.
Sorry, I messed up my words (I fixed them). I was listening to my iPod and wasn't concentrating :)

sinster

Bakka Gaijin des!
Backlight not a bug

The very first bug you have listed is not a bug. Unless it only seems to be working on my 15GB iPod.

On the main menu, under settings, you can select backlight and set how you want it to work. Always On, Always off, or set a timer for it to shut off regardless of whether you are pressing the buttons or not. I thought it was actually quite a good idea, though since I hv never used the first iPods, I dont know the difference anyways.

I hv it set at the moment to be always on, so it never switches off. I know this kills the battery, but for the first couple of weeks of owning this pure piece of art, I thought i shld enjoy the light, and stop worrying abt the battery.

TheSunTheSea

I'm feelin supersonic
Well how about the fact that turning off the iPod while a song is playing will save the song's position when you turn it on again. I know with the older iPods that didn't happen. Is this a bug or a new feature? :D

Kenny

Super Man
TheSunTheSea said:
Well how about the fact that turning off the iPod while a song is playing will save the song's position when you turn it on again. I know with the older iPods that didn't happen. Is this a bug or a new feature? :D
that's a new feature, not a bug.

tonyn1

I have experienced the bug where I don't get any audio after the unit has gone to sleep. Like you said, it doesn't happen all the time but I didn't know about the clock and just looking at it I see that it is off also so but I'm also if the unit loses time on battery rundown also?

psxguy85

I have had the bug where if I select a song list and then a song in an album list using the center button on the circular touchpad, the iPod starts playing the song that is right after that song that I chose. I think it might be like the bug #2, but NOT exactly.

iamaustin

Website
www.austina.net
I second phippys comment. The fact that you can not yet select which song or play list you want to play as the alarm clock is weird, when this is quite a major feature of the ipod. <as jerry sienfield would say> Whats the deal with that?

saj4963

psxguy85, i've encountered the exact same bug, and it's really annoying.

another bug i found is that when you are browsing artists or albums, and you have a song currently playing, you can press play, and the song currently playing will pause. However, when you press play again, instead of unpausing the song, it just plays the whole album that you currently have highlighted.

Ignodium

I am not totally sure if this is a bug, but here goes.

original thread: http://ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=815

I have a song that has an n with a little ~ over it in my playlist, and the ipod supports the display of that character, but as long as that character is in the ID tag it wont play the song. It shows the length and it gets to the screen to play it, but it doesnt start playing and after a few seconds skips to the next song.

I have other songs with non-english characters and it plays them (like the upside down question mark).

edit: I now know the same is true for songs with an e with little dots on top (umlauts).

Last edited:

bluecamel

Website
www.bluecamel.com
TheSunTheSea said:
Whether that was intentional or not, I have no clue, but that sounds awesome. I've always wanted my gen 2 to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.