Confirmation / Apple wants me to return my iPod...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Larathydo

New member
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
51
Points
0
Age
36
Hey folks,

I've just got off the phone with an Apple rep. and she said that my iPod would have to be sent in for repairs (I just got it yesterday! Holy crap!).

Basicly, my iPod is working fine except for the clicker.

The "headphone" clicker sound seems to only output an audiable volume level for the clicker when the main iPod volume is cranked to max. This would be fine, however i personally do not want to listen to my iPod at MAXIMUM volume all the time just to hear the headphone clicker. I would like to know if the Headphone clicker for your iPods stays at a constant volume or fluxuates like mine.

Can someone else with a 5G confirm this:

(For the record, i have a 5G 60GB White iPod)

Does your clicker's sound level depend on your iPod's actual volume controls?

ie:

1) go play a song.
2) pause the song.
3) blast the song to full volume (while paused).
4) go around the menus in the iPod and see if you hear the clicking clearly and loud (In The Headphones!)

and next:

1) Once again, play a song
2) Pause the song
3) Turn the volume of the iPod to about 3/4 the maximum volume or a little over half maximum.
4) once again, go around the menus of the iPod, and see if the clicker volume has been substantially reduced. (Once again, In The Headphones!)

Since the 5Gs just came out, i'm wondering if the Apple Reps arn't fully aware of the changes in the 5G iPod and might be mistaking this as a problem (The first rep i spoke with didn't sound too shure), instead of a (strange) new feature of clicker volume scaling?

I don't really wanna send back my iPod if everyone elses' iPod acts like this (Might not even be an issue at all!). This seems like a Software issue and if so, i would rather wait for a new Apple iPod Updater!

So i guess in other words i'm trying to figure out if this is intentionally designed to be this way or if it is actually a defective unit?

I hope someone can help me out here, I would greatly appreciate it! It only takes like 10 seconds to try out the volume-thing that I was explaining above!
 
Last edited:

dietcokefiend

New member
Joined
Oct 21, 2005
Messages
91
Points
0
Location
Cheeseland
Website
www.t3flange.com
My 4g ipod wouldn't keep the clicker off. I would have found it a godsend if the sucker broke :D

Also, when the click is on I only hear it through the ipod, not the headphones. It also clicks from the ipod unit itself when you change volume and stuff while songs are playing.
 

Larathydo

New member
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
51
Points
0
Age
36
dietcokefiend said:
My 4g ipod wouldn't keep the clicker off. I would have found it a godsend if the sucker broke :D

Also, when the click is on I only hear it through the ipod, not the headphones. It also clicks from the ipod unit itself when you change volume and stuff while songs are playing.
Yeah, mine clicks from the iPod physically just fine. It's just the headphones that arnt clickin' correctly (I think).

Could someone try out the steps i've pointed out and tell me what they get?
 

B. W.

New member
Joined
Oct 31, 2004
Messages
1,166
Points
0
Location
NY
Larathydo said:
Yeah, mine clicks from the iPod physically just fine. It's just the headphones that arnt clickin' correctly (I think).

Could someone try out the steps i've pointed out and tell me what they get?
This probably seems like a stupid question, but have you tried using your iPod with other headphones?

I don't really think that would be the problem, but you could try it out.
 

Larathydo

New member
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
51
Points
0
Age
36
Yep :p

I've tried it out with my regular iPod Earbuds, Sony & JVC Headphones, car stereo (I have it setup to interface with my iPod). Still the same thing.
 

kevnj

New member
Joined
Oct 21, 2005
Messages
29
Points
0
Mines going back as well, but for a different cause. Also got mine yesterday except I asked for a refund. So I can use the 30dollar off coupon.. hehehe so Ill order another one shortly.
 

justblaize

New member
Joined
Feb 20, 2004
Messages
451
Points
0
If you just got it yesterday, itd be a much better idea to try and return it to wherever you bought it from and get a refund than wait a weeks for apple to try to fix it. Try getting a refund then buy another one. :)
 

dietcokefiend

New member
Joined
Oct 21, 2005
Messages
91
Points
0
Location
Cheeseland
Website
www.t3flange.com
Larathydo said:
Yeah, mine clicks from the iPod physically just fine. It's just the headphones that arnt clickin' correctly (I think).

Could someone try out the steps i've pointed out and tell me what they get?
Tried them out. The clicking noise comes through when the volume is maxed and song is paised, but anything under is very faint if anything.

Anything else you want me to try? Also, what is the last 3-4 digits of your serial number to kinda get an idea of batch possible this might affect.
 

Larathydo

New member
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
51
Points
0
Age
36
dietcokefiend said:
Tried them out. The clicking noise comes through when the volume is maxed and song is paised, but anything under is very faint if anything.

Anything else you want me to try? Also, what is the last 3-4 digits of your serial number to kinda get an idea of batch possible this might affect.
Excellent! Thank you so much!

I had a feeling it wasent just me who would have this issue.

Now, i wonder if they will release a new update to hopefully lock the clicker at a single volume. Anyone else care to try this out? I'm interested to see if anyone does the same steps i've mentioned earlier and see if they do not encounter this problem (and have a headphone clicker at only one locked volume - The way perhaps it's supposed to be?

EDIT: Oh, BTW,

The last 4 letters of my Serial Number are "USZA". Does your iPod bear any resemblance to mine? What type of iPod do you own BTW?
 

dietcokefiend

New member
Joined
Oct 21, 2005
Messages
91
Points
0
Location
Cheeseland
Website
www.t3flange.com
Larathydo said:
Excellent! Thank you so much!

I had a feeling it wasent just me who would have this issue.

Now, i wonder if they will release a new update to hopefully lock the clicker at a single volume. Anyone else care to try this out? I'm interested to see if anyone does the same steps i've mentioned earlier and see if they do not encounter this problem (and have a headphone clicker at only one locked volume - The way perhaps it's supposed to be?

EDIT: Oh, BTW,

The last 4 letters of my Serial Number are "USZA". Does your iPod bear any resemblance to mine? What type of iPod do you own BTW?
last 4 on mine are usz9

Mine is a 30gb white.

Also, I find it might be a usefull thing having the clicker "dim" with the volume because if you are listening to some musi quietly before going to sleep or something, some super louding clicking like a machine gun might distract a bit.
 

Larathydo

New member
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
51
Points
0
Age
36
dietcokefiend said:
last 4 on mine are usz9

Mine is a 30gb white.

Also, I find it might be a usefull thing having the clicker "dim" with the volume because if you are listening to some musi quietly before going to sleep or something, some super louding clicking like a machine gun might distract a bit.
I would tend to agree here. I think it would be a cool idea to have the clicker scale to the volume of the music you are playing, but i think it should at least be audible at the volume you are playing the music at...

Seems kinda like our iPods could have been made around the same time perhaps because of the last digits of the serial number... Anyone else try this out? It would be interesting to see if others didnt have this problem and they were made on another "Batch?" Then i would start to get worried...
 

Mugen Power

New member
Joined
Sep 19, 2005
Messages
67
Points
0
For those of you who only have the clicker sound coming from the iPod itself (rather than through the headphones), you know you can change that, right? It's in the settings somewhere, at least it was in my old 4G iPod.
 

dietcokefiend

New member
Joined
Oct 21, 2005
Messages
91
Points
0
Location
Cheeseland
Website
www.t3flange.com
Mugen Power said:
For those of you who only have the clicker sound coming from the iPod itself (rather than through the headphones), you know you can change that, right? It's in the settings somewhere, at least it was in my old 4G iPod.
We know this... in the ipods like 10 total user settings.. its hard to miss. The 5g ipod only has on and off, nothing else though.
 

bov

New member
Joined
Mar 29, 2004
Messages
344
Points
0
Location
San Francisco
hey, if you're not completely happy with your iPod, go get a replacement. i can empathize with you as well since i like to have the little things perfect =]

whats the point in keeping it when its just gonna make you mad everytime? u spent 400+ , and you should be completely happy with it
 

ANDS

New member
Joined
Oct 30, 2004
Messages
82
Points
0
I dont think its stupid - as there are things that bug me that I'm sure bug other people - but. . .on the scale of REASONS TO RETURN AN IPOD - yea no clicker volume is REALLY low. In fact - I have my CLICK NOISE turned off.
 

dietcokefiend

New member
Joined
Oct 21, 2005
Messages
91
Points
0
Location
Cheeseland
Website
www.t3flange.com
ANDS said:
I dont think its stupid - as there are things that bug me that I'm sure bug other people - but. . .on the scale of REASONS TO RETURN AN IPOD - yea no clicker volume is REALLY low. In fact - I have my CLICK NOISE turned off.
True, but problems in one area might reflect a fault in the main chip that controls various sounds... Maybe a ipod that will fail sooner down the road?
 
Top