Configure Ephod to stop skipping songs?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

nyCecilia

Hi All, (This is crossposted as an answer to two other posts in the other ipod forums, but I think it might be better here)

I am using Ephod on Win98SE to fill my 20GB 2nd Gen. When I put about 100 songs on it, I didn't notice any problems. Well, I'm going away for a month and want to put my whole music collection on it (that's what it's for, right?), I started to have problems. Songs that played fine suddenly won't play.

Reading through the forum, I found a semi-answer: when you're using Ephod, you need to indicate that you want to use all the directories F00 to F19 so that no folder has too many songs. If ipod has trouble finding a song quickly, it will skip the songs, and having too many songs in a single folder will do that.

That was fine, for a bit. Now I want to load my entire music collection plus a bunch of audiobooks. About 1500 files, around 7GB (still not my whole ipod). It's back to skipping songs....

Anyone have ideas on how to make it play all of my songs? I've read elsewhere that people have over 3000 songs on their ipods. I don't know if this is related to Ephod or some other phenomenon.

Thanks!

Cecilia :)

nyCecilia

Answering (some of) my own question....

You gotta love the internet....I found some of the answer to my question.

I need to not do "preserve filenames". Hopefully this will help.

Also saw suggestion about defragging ipod...A little worried about this. Don't know if the advice was for mac users or applies to Win98 users as well. Guess we'll find out tonite....

Cecilia :)

nyCecilia

So much for answering my own question....

This sucks. I'm leaving for more than a month and was hoping to use my 20GB ipod. But it randomly doesn't play songs, it just skips over them.

I tried turning off the "preserve file name" option; it didn't work much anyway. I tried defragging, but kept getting "Your computer doesn't have enough memory to defrag" type errors. Okay, so it's a PII 400mhz with 384MB ram running Win98SE, but it's still a pretty good machine.

I am leaving as of tomorrow, if anyone has any help for me before I leave, I would SO MUCH appreciate it. Your karma points would really run off the meter. Any hints at all?????

nyCecilia

So what the hell does it take to get anyone to even try to help you around here?

Forget it.

JimbAround

Website
jimgoode.com
Ephpod is for transfer... iTunes is to organize

nyCecilia you should try organizing your music with iTunes, make sure it is set up to not update your iPod. Then use EphPod to do all the file transfers.

If the problem is in fact that you have too many files in any given directories, then seems you could use some organization iTunes style.

Ephpod reads files on iPod, not harddrive, and is therefore not good for organizing general music library, but iPod.

I have the 20Gigger. have over 14GB of music on it, and have no problems with any songs skipping at all.

And as for expecting members to help you within minutes, call 1-800-Apple for that...