• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Computer Network Help?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mizzle

Hey I was hoping some of you smart computer people could help me out on setting up a home network. I have two computers a desktop running Windows XP and a older laptop running Windows 2000. I bought a linksys router which I thought was all I needed. Right now I have my desktop running through the router and everything seems fine. However the problems arise with my laptop. The wireless will not pick up at all and I now have a wire running to it. Surprisingly, the wired connection isn't working either. When I check the status of the connection it is sending and receiving packets however I can't pull up any websites...so if you know what I need to do on this Windows 2000 machine to get it working please let me know! Thanks fellow iLoungers!

bdb

On the B side of life
At the start prompt, click on run. Enter cmd. A DOS box will pop up. In the box, enter ipconfig /all. Click on the icon on the top left, that looks like C:\. Click on "select all". Click on the icon again, and click on "Copy". You should be able to paste that into a reply here.

There are a number of things that it could be. First you should see if your cable is connecting. Does ipconfig say "Media disconnected" for that interface. If thats OK, make sure you're getting an address from the router. If ipconfig reports DHCP Configured as "No", that would be a problem. If it does have an address, you'll want to make sure you can reach your default gateway (the router). It should show up in the ipconfig - its probably 192.168.1.1. In the DOS box, enter ping 192.168.1.1 (or whatever the default gateway is).

If that works but you can't get to the internet, there may be something you've inadvertently configured in your router that's blocking it.

As far as the wireless goes, there are a lot of features in XP that don't exist in Windows 2000. You'll probably have to manually configure it.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Are you using encryption? If so, which? WEP? WPA? I have an XP desktop wired to my linksys router and a Win 2K laptop using a wireless linksys card. The laptop does not seem to support one of these encryptions (sorry, can't remember which), I think because of Win 2K.

As a starting point whenever I've had troubles, I open everything up and then add a little security at a time. So, temporarily turn on your network broadcast ID, turn off encryption, and turn off any MAC address filtering. See if that gets you hooked up ...

bdb

On the B side of life
mizzle said:
when i do the ipconfig /all the prompt pops up then disappears...
on both machines
don't enter ipconfig at the the run prompt. Enter cmd at the run prompt, and enter ipconfig in the black DOS box.

bdb

On the B side of life
Well, your local network looks fine. Do you have any sort of firewall software on this thing that might be blocking web access?

Can you get to your router (use your web browser to go to http://192.168.1.1/ ) ?

mizzle

yeah i can get to that fine...but thats on my xp machine
the 2k machine i can't do anything...and its a wired connection
firewall is off

mizzle

ah ha i got it...well the wired connection anyway...i'll keep working away on the wireless...any tips on that?

bdb

On the B side of life
If I remember right, W2K can't find wireless networks so you'll have to give it a network name (also called an SSID). I found a set of instructions that says you do this:

1 Click Start
2 Select Settings
3 Select Network and Dial-up Connections
4 Find your wireless connection icon and right-click on it.
5 Select Properties to open the Local Area Connection (wireless card) window.
6 Under the general tab, find the Connect Using box.
7 Click the Configure button
8 Select the Wireless Network tab.
9 Under Network name (SSID), Enter the new SSID.

If you don't know your SSID, check your router or your other laptop that's already joined. Its probably "linksys" by default. I'm pretty sure the SSID is case-sensitive.

The second thing that can be a problem with anything wireless is encryption (probably WEP), as was mentioned earlier - if you have encryption enabled, you have to make sure all the computers have the same WEP key. I'm pretty sure you can make this optional, to eliminate it as an issue (without completely turning it off). If you don't have encryption enabled, that's probably the next thing to work on (unless you want to be the neighborhood's ISP). :)