• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Computer Issue

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

RatherPlayHalo

Website
www.fansforscript.com
I built a fast, super-gaming desktop about 2 years ago. Before I got my laptop a few months ago, I took it to my freshman year at college. I brought it home after the year and haven't really used it since. After this year, my sophomore year, I tried using it when I returned home, but it's having some issues...

It will freeze up or restart randomly (no viruses/spyware). Sometimes, it will freeze while booting too. I thought that maybe my Windows XP installation "went bad" or something, so I opted to install Ubuntu since I've been wanting to experiment with Linux and it isn't my main computer. The problem is the same with identical symptoms.

I opened it up and reconnected virtually everything in case something came loose in the car, but no help. Can anyone suggest what may be the problem?

My only guess would be that my power supply went bad or is dying or something, but I'm not sure what the symptoms of that would be. It can't be a heating issues because I have many fans and an aftermarket CPU fan.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited:

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
1)To test whether PS, of course an similarly capacity PS, not having that, disconnect extra HD, expansion boards. Failing PS may not be able to supply all amps needed.

2)Run a real-mode EXE memory test overnight. Real-mode=One that u run from a DOS boot, but able to test all, including extended memory.

3)Change your BIOS lately? Be honest now.

RatherPlayHalo

Website
www.fansforscript.com
bobb-mini said:
1)To test whether PS, of course an similarly capacity PS, not having that, disconnect extra HD, expansion boards. Failing PS may not be able to supply all amps needed.

2)Run a real-mode EXE memory test overnight. Real-mode=One that u run from a DOS boot, but able to test all, including extended memory.

3)Change your BIOS lately? Be honest now.
1. There's only 1 HD and only expansion board is video card.
2. Can I run DOS without Windows? I currently have Ubuntu installed on it.
3. Change how? Drivers?

Does it sound like a PSU issue? That was just my guess, but really it could be something else.

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
You could start out just by reseating it or switching positions.

It does sound like a PSU issue, but because it's not running too much I sort of doubt it. You could always go to Circuit City or whatever, pick one up and return it if it doesn't work.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
I asked if you messed with BIOS and forgot about it or failed to tell us.

U can make a DOS boot floppy by using the format command + Create MSDOS startup disk.

GuitarRocker

Old iPods Rock!
I have not used a machine with Ubuntu but not Windows, but on my dual boot machine, at GRUB there is an option to perform a memory test. Oh, and if you still have your ubuntu live CD, that contains a Memory Test as one of the boot options.