Complex itunes consolidation problem

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

skruggie

UGH....nothing but problems the past few days.

My hard drive crashed, so I moved all my music to a new external harddrive. I did everything I was supposed to do - change the library location, let itunes organize my music, consolidated my library.

Still, probably about half my library - if not more - is not being read from the correct location.

Short of either wiping the library clean and losing all my ratings, comments, etc. or manually locating 20.000 songs.....is there anything I can do to make my library read from the correct location?

A good amount of my music, according to what is in the xml file, is defaulting back to the My Music folder on the mac and not reading off the folder on my external drive where I set it to point to in itunes.

Ive tried moving the locaiton, reconsolidation, nothing works. I'm the process right now of manually changing the location song by song but my fingers are about to fall off.....

I am on a mac running the latest operating system with the latest versoin of itunes, if this information helps at all.

Germansuplex

You say that a lot of your library isn't being read from the correct location... but it IS being read, though, right? If all of your music is still intact, just spread across the old and new location and iTunes can at least find all of it, then consolidate your library back to the old location, delete the files from the external drive, and then re-consolidate back to the external hardrive.

skruggie

Germansuplex said:
You say that a lot of your library isn't being read from the correct location... but it IS being read, though, right? If all of your music is still intact, just spread across the old and new location and iTunes can at least find all of it, then consolidate your library back to the old location, delete the files from the external drive, and then re-consolidate back to the external hardrive.

I actually tried something very similar to this, but it didn't work - it ended up copying some of my files, but not all of them. and there was still a good amount that itunes could not locate on its own.

I did fix the problem though - what I ended up doing was backing up my .itl file, clearing the contents of the library, and then using "add to library" so that everything would come back into the library from the location that I wanted it. I then replaced the newly created itl file with my older one that had all my playcounts and ratings. AFter closing and reopening itunes, everything was back to normal, all my ratings and playcounts were intact, and itunes was now able to locate about 99% of my music.

This is the way I used to move libraries prior to the "consolidate library" feature, and it did the trick.