Colorware Questions

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

blue_maffu_202

Ok I have read all the other topics so please don't reply saying "search for it".

I want a 5g but have heard bad things about the scratches. I was thinking of the Martin Shield but have heard if you don't apply them right they arn't very good. I was going to get a silicone case like I usually do but since Lajo raised the shipping to $35 I have decided to look at other options.

Color ware seems to be a very cool solution but i have some questions.

- the clear X2 coat is over the whole thing, right? (inc. the screen, and back?)
- Does it prevent scratches? Better than a martin field or a silicone case?
- Does it get lots of finger prints on it?
- is it worth the cost? (its $75 extra PLUS $60 shiping to canada)

Any help is appreciated.

P.S. i'm very fussy about scratches :D

Last edited:

Insimbi

I don't know much about the Colorware coating, but I have the Martin Fields overlays and they look great! I can hardly tell it's on there. The front of my 5G has NO scratches at all. If you have a little patience, you can do it - it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.

blue_maffu_202

Ya but I've seen some photos where its pealing off around the edges and stuff. Plus the back part kinda looks funny, and the scroll wheel won't stick on many peoples. It doesn't protect the sides either.

I was planning on getting a silicone case and a martin feild but now I'm leaning toward Colorware.

ExTrEmE

OK the clear X2 coat i think is only the front plastic part i dont think they would put a clear coating on the metal backing. I dont think it willd be as good as a real protector since it isnt really protecting its more of a finish coat.There is a link on the bottom of my post with info on the X2 Coating.

http://www.colorwarepc.com/content.aspx?id=57

justblaize

Martin fields protectors are awesome. They do a hell of a job protecting the ipod's face. Only thing I didnt like too much was the back. It doesnt stick too well on the edges in the back, because the metal start curving, so it kind of gets in the way. But the front is protected very nicely. You can see the screen crystal clear, no problems. I hightly recommend it.

blue_maffu_202

In another post someone said "there is a clear coat over the entire thing".

I want to know if its over the enitire ipod or the entire front.

sivart

hi. by my understanding, when you get the front painted, the front has the coating. But you can also have the metal back painted, so therefore they'll put a coating on that

dmdrizzt

I'm also not familiar with the colorware cover. I purchased and installed bestskinsever covers on two 5Gs since last week, and they are fantastic thus far. They are super cheap to buy and the material is made my 3M so you know its quality. Since it's only been a week since my first install, I obviously can't speak to the longevity of these things. Also, I installed the front only, the back is way more trouble than it's worth I think.

blue_maffu_202

Ok but does anyone here have Colorware?? I'd like to get the opinion on it.

Every iPod I've had has had a case and it would feel so much nicer if i didn't need it.

P.S. Colorware does not offer an option to have the back painted, i'm just wondering if they clear coat the back too.

mrdantownsend

mrdantownsend
Website
www.freewebs.com
i've had my colorware paintjob for 4 months, and no signs of peeling, discoloration, or button misfunction. Its really a great investment.

Just to let you know, I ordered a blue body with a white wheel, and they gave me a blue body w/ a sivler wheel!

I never returned it though because it looked awesome!

blue_maffu_202

How is it for scratching? Does it protect well? And is the clear coat over the whole ipod (front and back)?

P.S. X2 is an option but its pre-selected and can not be turned off when you click on it so it must come standard now.

sivart

blue_maffu_202 said:

Every iPod I've had has had a case and it would feel so much nicer if i didn't need it.

P.S. Colorware does not offer an option to have the back painted, i'm just wondering if they clear coat the back too.
colorwarepc.com/_inventoryImages/images/dragon_blaze_combo.jpg

There it is, a painted back.

Also, the X2 coating is standard.

blue_maffu_202

none of the pictures show a painted back iPod and none of the options on the page before you buy say anything about the back color or if you want it painted or not.

Edit: Ok so I got sick of waiting for a respone from someone who actually owns a colorware iPod and I called them. They said no, they don't paint the back and they do not the put a scratch coat on it.

That sucks and I probably will not buy one now. I'm thinking about getting a clear coat and doing it myself.

Last edited:

dark-arrow

justblaize said:
Martin fields protectors are awesome. They do a hell of a job protecting the ipod's face. Only thing I didnt like too much was the back. It doesnt stick too well on the edges in the back, because the metal start curving, so it kind of gets in the way. But the front is protected very nicely. You can see the screen crystal clear, no problems. I hightly recommend it.
I agree! If you want to keep the original touch of the ipod you should definetly go with MF. Don't be influenced by other review. It took me 15 minutes to install mine (1 to actually apply the MF) and there is no buble or **** like that. I highly recomande it and it's not that expesive if you consider that it's already been 3 weeks with mine and there is not scraches on it. It's really tough and durable.

Well this is what I think. If you want to know how I install it let me know.

blue_maffu_202

Well does it show any signs of peeling near the edges? I've seen some pics where it seems to be lifting off around the click wheel and sides. Could that be just because they did a bad install?

dark-arrow

It's due to the installation because mine is perfect on 3of the 4 edges. The fourth one is not perfect cuz I install mine a bit to high so the upper edge is not actually stuck on the ipod but I cannot put a nail under it. It's hard to explain but I can't peel it off and I put it in te OE case like a thousand times a day.

mdwsta4

uroslut
i had colorware done on my 4g ipod. the surface didn't scratch AT ALL. i used to always keep my ipod in an iskin, but after it was painted, i never used one and never had any problem with scratches. i did always use a screen protector and a scroll wheel protector though.
two complaints i have with colorwarepc were the turn around time (a full month for me) and the price. it's definitely not worth it other than to be different.

here's an old thread i had about it:
http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89621&highlight=colorware

and a picture just before i sold my 4g ipod:
http://images14.fotki.com/v222/photos/5/51621/396461/DSC03903-vi.jpg?800600

i've never seen the back painted other than the nano that was pictured in this thread. if you're worried about scratches, just brush the back of your ipod. it looks real good. or else get a protector for it. i, personally, have the invisible shield on my 5g ipod now and love it!
http://images5.fotki.com/v81/photos/5/51621/396461/DSC04123-vi.jpg?800600
and the back
http://images12.fotki.com/v237/photos/5/51621/396461/DSC04128-vi.jpg?800600

blue_maffu_202 said:

Last edited: