Clearing Library in Itunes? Trying to like it..

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

loGan

Ipod therefore I am
Ok in my quest to use and appreciate Itunes properly I made acopy of my Music directory on another drive. Uninstalled the old version of Itunes, installed the new and was ready to go. 15 minutes of copying later and I'm ready to go.

Hmm even though it is a new install for some reason all my songs are still visible in Itunes and I just know that when I add my new directory it is going to double up all the songs. Add new directory.....songs are doubled up. FFS.

Oh well I thought, I'll deal with that later and take the plunge with Apples fabled directory sorting so I let it do it's thing.

Woah there, now it wants to make a copy of all the songs that I just copied but onto my C: drive? I don't think so so I changed the location of my ITunes directory so it is with all my other static data on a seperate drive. ( I seem to remember reading that changing the Itunes directory can cause problems?? Is this true).

Anyway for the third time in one evening 15gigs of music are being copied and manipulated, I'll go and have another beer or two.

All done! Well I don't have a problem with the method of sorting used by Itunes, In fact it is exactly as I sort my music myself which is cool. I don't understand why it has make a copy of all the songs though, why not just sort my directory. That just strikes me as imbecilic when you consider the amount of data that people use in their music directories and could well be the reason that a lot of people are running into problems. Taking a 15 gig chunk out of my Windows directory would give my computer headaches too.

So far so good then but I still can't figure out how to delete all the mirrors now sitting in my library. I haven't synced yet either because I want to be sure that all the skipping bugs have been fixed. I'll try that later.

bawjaws

loGan said:

Hmm even though it is a new install for some reason all my songs are still visible in Itunes and I just know that when I add my new directory it is going to double up all the songs. Add new directory.....songs are doubled up. FFS.
There's an xml file in the default music location that holds all that info and gets read in at startup. If you delete that then iTunes will start from scratch.

I believe iTunes will also move (rather than copy) files *if* the are under the directory specified in the preferences. So if you move the files there before import then they won't be duplicated in iTunes or the Windows Explorer.

HiRez

loGan said:
All done! Well I don't have a problem with the method of sorting used by Itunes, In fact it is exactly as I sort my music myself which is cool. I don't understand why it has make a copy of all the songs though, why not just sort my directory. That just strikes me as imbecilic when you consider the amount of data that people use in their music directories and could well be the reason that a lot of people are running into problems. Taking a 15 gig chunk out of my Windows directory would give my computer headaches too.
IoGan, there is an option for iTunes to make copies of your song files, seperate from the "let iTunes organize" option. If you let it copy, the idea is to delete your other copies after iTunes copies, now you don't need them. What is cool about the copying is now you can just drag songs from anywhere into iTunes or onto its icon and iTunes will file them away for you, then you just delete the ones from wherever you dragged them in. You can also select files in iTunes and drag them out, then iTunes will make copies to where you drag them. The idea is to not ever have to look at the music folders and files themselves, you do all that management directly in iTunes, which has a lot more flexible sorting, filtering, and searching cpabilities than Explorer does. Works great for me, YMMV.

loGan

Ipod therefore I am
Excellent thanks for the answers guys. I think my problem was that when i first installed it I messed about a bit assuming that if I reinstalled then I could start again from the beginning settingswise unfortunately the da.mn thing remembered everything that I had done beforehand.

I'll uninstall again and clear the reg and any files left behind and start from scratch.

Can anyone confirm that moving the ITunes directory to another drive is not a problem? If it was why give the option?