Clear cases for new nano

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MattPaintballer

SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE!!!
I was looking for cases for my new nano and I found these:

Belkin Remix Acrylic
Belkin Remix Metal
Griffin iClear
Switcheasy Color Biscuits
XtremeMac Microshield
Contour iSee

I liked the Color Biscuits but I don't like their color, I wish they came in clear or black but with a normal screen. I keep my screen brightness down to conserve battery.

Is the Remix Metal the same as the Remix Acrylic but black?

Besides that I see no differences between these cases.

Will iLounge be reviewing these soon?

sunshinecat

MattPaintballer said:
I was looking for cases for my new nano and I found these:

Belkin Remix Acrylic
Belkin Remix Metal
Griffin iClear
Switcheasy Color Biscuits
XtremeMac Microshield
Contour iSee

I liked the Color Biscuits but I don't like their color, I wish they came in clear or black but with a normal screen. I keep my screen brightness down to conserve battery.

Is the Remix Metal the same as the Remix Acrylic but black?

Besides that I see no differences between these cases.

Will iLounge be reviewing these soon?
I just ordered the Contour iSee, so I can let you know what I think when I receive it. It seems like the iSee comes with the most for the money, because it has a click wheel protector, dock and headphone protector, and two backs (one with a belt clip, one without). The Griffin iClear was the other one I was thinking of, and it is $5 less, but I don't think it covers the click wheel or the dock/headphones and doesn't have a belt clip.

I was very happy with my old Contour iSee for a 4th gen iPod, and the old iSees have all gotten "A" reviews by iLounge. If you want to check out the Belkin cases, Target stores carry them.

mrhoni

Just received iSee nano v3

I'm not very happy with the bottom port cover. This cover is a soft plastic that is hinged onto the back portion of the case. After I put the nano into the case and snap both halves together, I am unable to snap the port cover back onto the bottom. The portion that goes into the headphone jack wants to stay snapped in, but the portion that snaps into the dock connection will not stay in so it just stays hinged open.

I'm ready to rip the port cover off.

espanoliPod

Spanish Speaking Lounger
i just got the xtrememac tuffwrap plus, and i love it. it is not a complete hard case. most of it is silicone but there is a hard plastic cover that clips onto the silicone and covers almost the entire front of the nano. its a great combo, exactly what i was looking for; the protection of silicone but the classy look of a hard case. i highly recommend it.

sunshinecat

mrhoni said:
I'm not very happy with the bottom port cover. This cover is a soft plastic that is hinged onto the back portion of the case. After I put the nano into the case and snap both halves together, I am unable to snap the port cover back onto the bottom. The portion that goes into the headphone jack wants to stay snapped in, but the portion that snaps into the dock connection will not stay in so it just stays hinged open.

I'm ready to rip the port cover off.
I agree with you about the port cover. The case comes with two backs (one with a belt clip, one without), and I can't get the port cover to close on the clipless back. However, it closes perfectly on the case with the belt clip (unfortunately I don't like the added bulk of the belt clip). Other than that design flaw, it seems like a great case that protects every inch of the iPod.

Why couldn't they have done a plastic bottom like they did with the iSee cases for the 4th generation iPods?

Potterpie

I have a Griffin iClear for my nano. It's a little scratched, but better the case than the iPod, right? And it's not that noticeable. It keeps my iPod, and the screen, safe. I don't see the need to protect the clickwheel, but I'm sure you could buy something separately if you felt it was that important.

I'm really pleased with my iClear.

bdlstyle

I got the MERKURY trio set of three skins for ten bucks real simple and does the job. Black, clear, and red cases. Soft rubber.

skwpt

I just bought a Speck ToughSkin rubberized case (clear) for my 3G 8GB nano. I really like it.

It's not sleek and thin, but the little nubs on the side provide an excellent grip, and I feel pretty confident that if I dropped my device, it would live to play another day.

It's a bit of a PITA to get the skin on and off, though. Reminds me of the first time I struggled into a neoprene wet suit.

!?UdThink

I have researched clear acrylic cases for months now and studied and re-studied reviews on all of them. I finally decided on Gecko Gear's Ice Case and am completely pleased with my selection. It looks great, easy in/out, good coverage (has click wheel tape cover; leaves bottom open as I wished it and thus compatible and less awkward) and accessories. Read iLounge's reviews on the hard cases. most are reviewed on the site. I prefer it over the much talked about SwitchBiscuit.

!?UdThink

one more thing... I also bought the XtremeMac Tuffwrap Plus for my children. For their fumbly hands, I felt the silicon was important. The silicon is not as protective for drops as some others, like Speck, but I am bit on the acrylic cover for the face and clickwheel protector.

!?UdThink

question for you. Now I want an armband for working out. Even though my Ice Case is easy in/out, I want to keep my nano always in the Ice Case (good added protection from sweat and rain) and find an armband I can just insert it into. Thus, tight ones wouldn't work. I also doubt any heavy plastic over the click wheel would due to the added distance between the clickwheel and the armband plastic created by the bulk of the hard case. Any thoughts/experience with this combo? I am contemplating the Marware Relay. I like that you can use it as a wristband as well as armband. Any know/think this combo of acrylic case and armband will work? Thanks.

englishfly

I used a Belkin Remix on a friends iPod it's a great case but, the thing is the clickwheel cover is a bit annoying.

MattPaintballer

SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE!!!
I got a DLO Hybrid Shell. They sell them at Best Buy. It's pretty good, it is hard to separate the two halves which would be a good thing except contrary to what iLounge's review, large headphone plugs do NOT fit. I have to take off the front to plug it in to my speakers which is annoying. I will probably try to file it down somehow, probably with a Dremel tool.

ajs

jasoncordelle said:
That wuld be my only complaint about the Remix.
What don't you like about it? I'm considering one for my new nano that should arrive on Tuesday :D

17reasonswhy

ajs said:
What don't you like about it? I'm considering one for my new nano that should arrive on Tuesday :D
because of the thickness of the plastic, the clickwheel is pretty inset and can sometimes make scrolling/clicking difficult. the middle enter button has a "jar freshness pop button" type thing covering it, but really, none of it is that annoying otherwise i would have ditched it by now. overall i'm very happy with the case, i took it off today to blow some dust away and the ipod still looks as good as new. i've had it almost 2 weeks now. i find the dust sticks to the inside of the case rather than the ipod. the case shows off the nano's beauty without adding much bulk to it. the cover is easy to pop off and what i like about it is there are no ugly hinges, belt clip etc, the latter i don't need because i'm a girl and don't go around with tucked in shirts ;)

you're getting a pink one aren't you ajs? that's the colour i got and i love it, you should be very happy with it :)

ajs

17reasonswhy said:
because of the thickness of the plastic, the clickwheel is pretty inset and can sometimes make scrolling/clicking difficult. the middle enter button has a "jar freshness pop button" type thing covering it, but really, none of it is that annoying otherwise i would have ditched it by now. overall i'm very happy with the case, i took it off today to blow some dust away and the ipod still looks as good as new. i've had it almost 2 weeks now. i find the dust sticks to the inside of the case rather than the ipod. the case shows off the nano's beauty without adding much bulk to it. the cover is easy to pop off and what i like about it is there are no ugly hinges, belt clip etc, the latter i don't need because i'm a girl and don't go around with tucked in shirts ;)

you're getting a pink one aren't you ajs? that's the colour i got and i love it, you should be very happy with it :)
Ahh I see. I ended up getting a Gear4 IceBox pro - in pink of course :D I'm very pleased with it so far, the click wheel access is good.

Only had the iPod a few hours, and it's gorgeous. Really pleased with it.

urbanlegend

Toronto Tonto
has anyone else tried the power support crystal jacket set for nano http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/power-support-crystal-jacket-for-ipod-nano-3g-ipod-classic-ipod-touch/ ? i picked up one of these with my new nano because:
- it is a simple, clear, hardshell case,
- it comes with a belt clip (not the most sturdy but it doesn't have to hold much weight) and
- it comes with films for the clickwheel (which I don't use), the screen and the back, so if i take it out of the case, it's still protected.

it also doesn't have flip out covers for the dock connector and headphone jack, so it will fit in my docking speaker set without having to take it out of the case.

it seemed to me to have the best feature/price point of the other cases i saw at the apple store from belkin, contour and agent 18.

john

jasoncordelle

ajs said:
The plastic that covers the clickwheel is slightly raised and you sort of have to depress it to use the clickwheel - you get used to it.

origami_potato

It looks like ifrogz now has a clear version too! I wish they had those when I first bought my nano last year. :p