Classical Recommedations

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dgstinner

Website
www.stinner.com
I was hoping some of you could recommend some classical music to add to my library. So far I have:
Beethoven - 9th Symphony
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata
Chopin - Minute Waltz
Mozart - Marriage Of Figaro
Rossini - William Tell Overture
Strauss - Blue Danube Waltz
Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture
Tchaikovsky - Dance Of The Sugarplum Fairy

Verita'

Banned
Website
www.onlinephotography.com
Well it's Baroque, but you definately need some Vivaldi "The Four Seasons," "L'Estate" (Summer) is my favorite"

Also look into:
Ormandy "Carmina Burana"
Wagner "Ride of the Valkyrie's"
Mozart "Requiem" & "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik"

Last edited:

jh-retired

I'd encourage you to actively explore some pieces from the various classical periods (Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern, etc...) to see what you enjoy best. It's quite amazing how easy it is to identify & classify classical music, once you learn how... usually making it easier to determine exactly what you like.

A few of my favorites, in no order (most from Romantic/Modern periods, here, but I enjoy Classical & Baroque also. ;) ):

Smetana - Moldau
Barber - Adagio for Strings
Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique
Holst - The Planets
Bach's Cello Suites (6 Suites of 6 Movements each)
Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto (!!)
Musorgsky/Ravel - Pictures at an Exhibition
Musorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain

Last edited:

dgstinner

Website
www.stinner.com
I had Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries. I just forgot to type it in. I also just added Vivaldi's Four Seasons (seperately plus all together) and Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (from Phantom of the Opera).

dharmabum420

More J.S. Bach! IMO, he's the most incredible composer ever, but he's too often just remembered for Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. Very popular and great intro CD's to Bach are Glenn Gould's "The Goldberg Variations" (most prefer the 1983 version) and Yo Yo Ma's "Bach: The Cello Suites" (which azdude mentioned). Some people shy away from Bach when they heard traditional arrangements, since Bach lived before many popular music instruments were invented (piano and cello in this case), so look for such big-name musician modern interpretations. Bach is insanely difficult and complex to play so they often show these guys at their best.

Chopin's Concerto for Piano & Orchestra No. 1 is one of my favourites as well, and if you're especially looking for famous pieces, Mozart's Fifth Symphony is a conspicuous absence.

Last edited:

bdb

On the B side of life
"The Brandenburg Concertos" were my first Bach CDs, and I still listen to it 20 years later.

Debussy has several pieces that I enjoy, and "Meditation" by Massenet is very nice. You can often find these on the same CD by one artist, e.g. James Galway. "The Lark Ascending" by Ralph Vaughn Williams is beautiful.

moriond

You could try the Beethoven symphonies 6, 7, 8, and 9 which will be available from BBC Radio 3 starting Tuesday.
From the BBC Message Boards:
The downloads of the first five Beethoven symphonies beat the entire legal download market in Britain last week (and would have been on Top of the Pops if allowed to enter). Doesn't this suggest that frequent reports of the death of classical music have been very much exaggerated?
Available for a week after each program's broadcast. See link for details.

Symphony No. 6 (Pastoral) performed by the BBC Philharmonic under Gianandrea Noseda is available.

Last edited:

vitosha

Follow Moriond's advice! These are only available for a week! I downloaded Symp. 1, then got lazy and forgetful, and came back too late to get 2, 3, 4, and 5. :-( So I'm not going to miss the rest.
For the Vivaldi - 4 Seasons, I like Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg's playing. Anne-Sophie Mutter is another great fiddler. But I would like to go out on a limb and recommend "Chants, Hymns and Dances," an ECM Records CD of Anja Lechner on cello, Vassilis Tsabropoulos on piano. I have been playing it a lot, and loving it.

violinmathchick

I am a bit biased when it comes to classical but here are a couple suggestions:
Heifetz's recording of the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D major
Menuhin's recording of the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto in E minor and Bruch Violin Concerto in G minor
Oistrackh's recordings of Dvorak Violin Concerto in A minor and Glaznunov's Violin Concerto in A minor
Arrau's recordings of Beethoven's Sonatas for piano - all of them

Last edited:

Scandinavian

It's Scandinavian
Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake, especially the finale.
Johann Strauss - Blue Danube Waltz and Radetsky march.
Vivaldi - Four Seasons
Edvard Grieg - Morning mood, Aases death, Solveig's song and In the Hall of the mountain king.
Mozart - Elvira Madigan, Requiem for soloists, chorus, and orchestra, K. 626
Bach - Toccata and Fugue, Bist du bei mir, Prelude

Can't leave Beethove out of either, Für Elise, Moonlight sonata, 2. and 5. symphony, Pathétique.
Pachelbel - Cannon in D Major

moriond

Subscribers to this thread might be interested in Daniel Barenboim's 2006 Reith Lectures on In the Beginning was Sound. The first lecture is available in streaming video (and with transcripts) at the web site. Downloadable podcsts (for 1 week only) are available from the web site, and can be subscribed to from the BBC Radio 4 Choice site. See this thread for more details.