changing folder and file names

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Newmarket2

Background:
I provide some technical support to a very small company that does audio travel guides.
I get prerecorded .wav files output from ProTools in the early stages. Ultimately, the final tracks are MP3 and zipped for downloading from their web site.
When these original files come in, they have short, working names.
Ultimately, we enter the actual track names in INFO fields in iTunes.
BUT, when the tracks are first entered, they wind up in my iTUnes MUSIC folder (I'm running Windows Vista) as UNKNOWN ARTIST and UNKNOWN ALBUM.

Questions:
If I update the INFO tab, am I correct that the folder names remain unchanged?
If so, is there a SAFE way to change the folder name or do I have to do it manually?; and, will this update the INFO tab information if I haven't done that already?

Sparkee

If the iTunes Preferences/Advanced for "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" is checked the file will be moved to a folder named by "Artist Name/Album Name/Track Number - Song Title" when the ID3 tag is edited. This will remain in the Music folder of the iTunes Music folder unless the Media Kind is changed in the Get Info Options window. If you change any of the info in the tags the files can easily be found by right clicking it in iTunes then select "Show in Explorer".

So the file will change location after your update the tag info. If you manually rename or move the file or folders iTunes may lose the file and not be able to find it, it will not update the tag info. Macs seem to be a little better at keeping track of files than Windows but I believe Windows will lose it if you change anything in the iTunes folders.