Changed from 3G to 5G and now no Artists

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bunraku

Hi

Had a Touch 3G for the last few years and just got a 5g.
I don't use albums and the only album I have is named <Unknown> with over 4000 songs in it and I just use Artist and Songs to find my music. Well that's the way I have always done it on the 3G.

However on the 5G I am not getting Artists. I get Composer, Genre, Songs etc, but no artists. I haven't changed anything I ITunes the way I have had it for years. The only thing is the Ipod.

I've attached some photos.
The first one is the old 3G and at the bottom you can see Artists.
The other screenshots are of the 5G and you can see no Artists apart some names appearing under the songs.
Any idea how I can fix this?
Also how I can get rid of the boxes that say recent additions?

Thanks for any replies.

Attachments

cjmnews

Staff member
These probably have different versions of iOS, thus the music app is different.

The 3rd generation can only get to iOS 5.1.1 (if 8GB, could be iOS 4.2, originally iOS 3)
The 5th generation can only get to iOS 9.3.5 (originally iOS 6)

Based on the screen shots, you are using iOS 9 on the 5th generation. Not sure though.
You can't change the app. So no getting rid of the recent additions

As for Missing Artists, this may be due to your tagging. Sometime around iOS 8.4 the music app started using the Album Artist instead of the Artist tag. It meant that those people with custom tagging need to copy their tags from Artist to Album Artist to get the Artist sorting to work. This may be the same case for you.

I don't have iOS 9 with me at the moment, so I can't experiment to see if this is the case. But if you wanted to use iTunes copy the Artist to Album Artist (if these are MP3 files, select the updated file(s), Click on File->Library->Convert ID3, Choose version 2.3 and click OK to write the change to the MP3 file) then sync to see if that changes the app to include Artists as an option in the middle drop down. If that works, then you need to perform this task for all the songs. JavaScript can do this automatically.