Certain songs not playing all the way through.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mr wrong

First off, searched, but the thread was quite old..

I have noticed that a very few of my songs cut off midway through on my 5th gen iPod.. They play fine on iTunes.. I did a complete restore, and the problem still persists..

Any ideas?

kornchild2002

Were these tracks that you ripped/encoded yourself or are they from a different source? What software did you use if you encoded/ripped them yourself? What format (mp3, AAC, ALAC, PCM WAV, AIFF), encoder (iTunes/QuickTime, Nero, Lame, etc.), and setting (128kbps VBR, -V 2, etc.) were used?

Have you tried converting these tracks in iTunes to another mp3/AAC file and seeing if that has the same issue on your iPod? Just know that iTunes' ability to playback media is not directly indicative of iPod compatibility. For example, I have a 720p mpeg-4 AVC video in iTunes (I actually have several) that playback just fine on my Mac. I cannot sync those over to my iPod. I also have some high resolution PCM WAV files (24-bit 48KHz and a few 32-bit 96KHz) that playback fine in iTunes yet won't sync to my iPod classic (though the 24-bit tracks will sync to my iPad 2).

mr wrong

Were these tracks that you ripped/encoded yourself or are they from a different source? What software did you use if you encoded/ripped them yourself? What format (mp3, AAC, ALAC, PCM WAV, AIFF), encoder (iTunes/QuickTime, Nero, Lame, etc.), and setting (128kbps VBR, -V 2, etc.) were used?

Have you tried converting these tracks in iTunes to another mp3/AAC file and seeing if that has the same issue on your iPod? Just know that iTunes' ability to playback media is not directly indicative of iPod compatibility. For example, I have a 720p mpeg-4 AVC video in iTunes (I actually have several) that playback just fine on my Mac. I cannot sync those over to my iPod. I also have some high resolution PCM WAV files (24-bit 48KHz and a few 32-bit 96KHz) that playback fine in iTunes yet won't sync to my iPod classic (though the 24-bit tracks will sync to my iPad 2).
Thanks for your response..

The tracks were downloaded legally from Emusic, and sync to the iPod without issue. According to iTunes they are formatted as MPEG-1, Layer 3, and Encoded with LAME3.96. The odd thing is that these were downloaded as entire albums, and every other track plays fine (all formatted, and encoded the same).. So far I've only run into this problem with juts a few tracks.. All part of entire albums, all the only track from those albums they won't play all the way through..

When I convert it to AAC, the file created goes from just over 6 minutes, to 40 seconds- about the duration it plays on the iPod. The original plays in it's entirety on iTunes..

Thanks again..

kornchild2002

The ability of iTunes to playback a file is not directly indicative of iPod compatibility. iTunes has far more resources at its disposal so it can playback content that causes iPods issues. Since iTunes is having issues even when converting the files, it shows that your source files are to blame. Either see if you can download the files again or contact eMusic so they can fix them.

Mawdryn

Website
www.myspace.com
I'm having the same issue too, but I'm not sure exactly what's going on. In my case, it seems to be something to do with iTunes Match.

I have an artist with say 5 albums that I ripped from my CDs. They've played fine for 5 years on all my iPods. Then iTunes Match came around and I realized I had ripped these CDs all those years ago at 128k, so I decided to let Match do it's thing to upgrade them to 256k. I deleted the 5 albums from my library, and downloaded them from Match.

Everything appears to be there and plays fine in iTunes, but when I sync these 5 albums back to my iPods, about 20% of the songs stop part way through and skip to the next track. I have tested playback on an iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4, and a Nano 6, and they all do the same thing on the same songs.

As a test, I deleted one of the problem tracks and re-downoaded it from Match, and it now plays fine on all devices. That makes me suspect that I'm getting corrupted files from Match sometimes.

In my case, I know I can simply re-rip the CDs, but I would like to know what's going on and find out how to prevent it.

kornchild2002

Your situation is completely different since it goes through a different service. I have experienced my fair share of iTunes Match problems. In fact, I have 7 tracks in my library that are supposed to be iTunes Match songs. I downloaded them from Apple's servers yet both iTunes and QuickTime simply identify them as being "mpeg" files. Not AAC or anything else, just MPEG. Both programs refuse to play them back and anytime I move the files onto a different storage medium, the tags are lost.

That all has to do with iTunes Match and that it isn't a perfect system. There isn't anything you can do ahead of time to know that you can possibly download a corrupted file or even know if you have a corrupted file. The 7 tracks I have didn't change their file types (from AAC audio to MPEG) until I tried to sync them to my iPod classic. Then all of the sudden they stuck out. It sucks but there isn't anything you can do other than reporting the problem to Apple and hoping that they fix it.