CD`s ripping with imperfections

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

sontaron

I`ve recently decided to re-rip my CD collection at a higher bit-rate and am suddenly experiencing problems I`ve never had before. Just about every CD I rip will have a couple of imperfections on it, a loud "beep" will appear in one of the songs or a song will skip for half a second. I have about 500 CDs to rip and am currently having to listen to every one immediately after ripping it to check for errors and re-rip individual songs...most annoying!

Is this an Itunes issue or a drive problem? The first time I ripped these CDs at 128 AAC a few years back they all ripped with no problems. Now, at 192 AAC...virtually every CD is playing up. Could my CD drive need replacing?

cjmnews

Staff member
Turn off all programs that poll or hit the hard drive. This includes IM, Mozilla quick start, Adobe quick start, email, screen savers that draw in 3d or display pictures, weather tools, and browsers.

If you don't have an iPhone/iTouch you can disable the Apple Device service.

Defragment your drive, and clean up temp files.

That should help.

sontaron

Thanks for the reply, sadly this doesn`t seem to be the problem. I always switch everything off whilst ripping and have since cleaned up the temp files and defragged the drive to no avail.

Does Itunes have a problem with external hard drives? Thinking on this problem more I`ve realised it`s only really started since I moved my music collection to one. It often freezes up or gives error messages whilst ripping as well.

Germansuplex

Not exactly a solution to your iTunes problem, but try finding one of numerous free cd-rippers on the net and importing a CD that way.

I used to use musicmatch and ripped CD's nearly twice as fast as iTunes and at roughly the same (or better) quality. I just use iTunes now because it's convenient. But another importing tool might solve the problem.