Can't uninstall iTunes, or re-install

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

meyerweb

I'm trying to uninstall and/or re-install the most current version of iTunes for the PC. And the stupid software won't let me. It tells me a .msi file is missing. Well, yes it is. I don't know how it got deleted, but because it's gone I can't uninstall the software, and when I try to re-install over the existing copy it won't work because it tries, and fails, to uninstall the old copy first.

I've tried to use Revo uninstaller, but the iTunes installer is still not happy. This is so freakin' ridiculous. What are software creators thinking when the create a catch 22 like this?

Do I have any alternative other than (a) installing something like Media Monkey or Media Jukebox or (b) reformatting my drive and starting over?

Thanks

cjmnews

Staff member
You need to download the Microsoft Installer Clean Up utility.

From the Apple Support Site:
Clean up iTunes installer files on the computer

You can download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from Microsoft, which will clean up any leftover installer files that may be causing issues with your current installation. To do this:

1. Click here first, and read the important information about the software.
2. Click the "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now" link on that page to download a file titled msicuu2.exe.
3. Open the msicuu2.exe file and follow the prompts to install it.
4. Choose Start > All Programs and then click Windows Install Cleanup; the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility window appears, listing software that is currently installed on your computer.
5. Select iTunes from the list and click Remove.
6. Click OK in the confirmation dialog that appears.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 if you have multiple iTunes entries listed.
8. Select QuickTime from the list and click Remove.
9. Click OK in the confirmation dialog that appears.
10. Repeat steps 8 and 9 if you have multiple QuickTime entries listed.
11. Click Exit.
12. Restart the computer.

meyerweb

Thanks! I'll give that a try. I actually did search the Apple site, but didn't find this entry.

meyerweb

Well, that solved that problem, thanks.

Now the iTunes installer keep telling me it doesn't have permission to access certain registry keys. I've updated several of them manually, and each time I re-run it I get the same error on another key. This installer sucks. Or Windows sucks. Both, actually.

cjmnews

Staff member
Usually permissions issues occur when you are not Administrator.

You'll need to be Administrator for the install.

stugotz

You may want to read the step by step instructions to remove iTunes at this site HowToRemoveItunes
It saved me hours and saved my butt! Didn't loose any music either.

RachelEvans

I found the way to use the control panel in the search results, and it really helped me fix iTunes can't uninstall. Very simple operation:
Click Start > Type Control Panel > Control Panel > Programs and Features > Find iTunes and Uninstall it > Uninstall these four sections:
'Apple Software Update'
'Apple Mobile Device Support'
'Bonjour'
'Apple Application Support'

Last edited: