Can't Decide On Speakers

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MattPaintballer

SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE!!!
I need some good, but not too expensive, iPod speakers. I've been looking at a lot of them, and can't decide on which to get.

I noticed that iLounge's reviews for speakers always compare and contrast speakers that are out at the time of reviewing. Well lots of the reviews are months or even years old, which outdates the comparing. Therefore it is quite hard to compare speakers on my own, having never used them before.

Here are some of the speakers I've been looking at:

JBL OnStage II
Altec Lansing iM3
Sonic Impact i-Fusion
Pacific Rim Cube
JBL Creature II
Macally IceTune
Logitech mm22

The speakers will mainly stay in the playroom, which is pretty big - 30 feet by 15 feet (9.144 by 4.572 meters) - but I also might take them with me places, like camp outs and stuff.

It seems like I may have to get two sets of speakers - one for campouts, etc. and one for staying at home - but I really don't want to

MidnightSlade

You mention portabilty as one of things youd like however, things like JBL On Stage is not Portable. The Cube (which I have) is very basic and doesnt do anything other than play music from a headphone jack. The mm22 is the same way. And the creature is not portable, and not very elegant unless you use a dock. Out of what you've provided I'd say the iM3 is a very nice choice for you because its portable but still can be used at home with a remote and Im pretty sure it charges it too.

As for filling a room with sound try Bose, Creature II, the iM7 or iHome. While not all are portable or cheap, you'll probably have to comprise on something you want to dock at home and fill a room or bring around.

MattPaintballer

SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE!!!
Does the iM3 run off a rechargable battery? Can the JBL Creature IIs be used as speakers for something else, like a radio? My parents are looking for speakers for the playroom and I was thinking those would be good. Is the iM3, OnStage II, i-Fusion, or JBL Creature compatible with 5G iPods?

Now it's between the iM3, the On Stage II, or the i-Fusion. I'm kind of leaning towards the iM3 but I don't really know much about speakers. I think the On Stage II would be the worst of the three; the other two point the sound in one direction, but the On Stage points it in a circle, which I think would be worse. But I don't know.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

takecare

TRIED 2 OTHERS SPEAKERS

i tried 2 speakers :

IBOOM (50 euro)
IBASS (60 euro)

IBOOM
i first tried the iboom. what reviews say on zdnet & others are mainly right but for me it was a good product which an alright sound and ok radio.
defaults were :
- first days ipod could charge but then even after 200 tries seating ipod on the dock nothing ould happen. so very bad
- no possibility to choose between external source or ipod. my idea since iboom doesn't contain a remote controller was to buy one to put it on the ipod seated in iboom and to connect via external jack of remote receiver to the iboom input one. since the choice was not possible i forgot about this idea.

IBASS:
i gave back the oboom to macway in paris and took the ibass instead which include a remote controller, which is smaller and better design. also many adapter for all series of ipod.
given to : jack to jack connector and good white external AC adapter. in this one, no possibility like the iboom to put battery inside ...
PROs : design cute, sound excellent, accessories good and white, price ok, and when jack plugged no sound taken from ipod connector (the doc say the opposite, that no choice is possible)
Cons:
the remote is quite good but after one day of tries and even after having updated the ipod i still can't use the play/stop button and the reward/previous forward/next button ! the command are not recognized and that s very pitty !! I wonder if it is a problem from my ipod or not. i chould buy another product just to test and to be sure it is not coming from my ipod.
Anyway the ibass is really good, other commands (adressed to ibass features) are recognized.

IBASS is either KODA or H&B.

voila for my reviews

MattPaintballer

SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE!!!
thanks for the reviews takecare,

Can anyone answer any of these questions?

1. Does the iM3 run off a rechargable battery?
2. Can the JBL Creature IIs be used as speakers for something else, like radio/TV/PS2/GameCube/DVD?
3. My parents are looking for speakers for the playroom and I was thinking those would be good. Would they, or are they too small?
4. Is the iM3, OnStage II, i-Fusion, or JBL Creature compatible with 5G iPods and the Nano?

MadBob

I am leaning towards the Logitech MM50 but if you want to fill a room that big just get a microsystem Hi-Fi and plug into it through the line out.

30 feet by 15 feet. There is not an ipod speaker system that could fill that room with any kind of justice. You need to consider loudspeakres and anticipate spending about $2000.

unless of course you can settle for less than room filling sound. In that case any of the above will due, but all speakers are not made equal. I would only consider the iFi in your room. it can be had for about ~200 which is a freaking deal. It a different kind of speaker system than all of the aforementioned, and its not portable, but I’m sure anyone else will agree, its far better in every single possible respect as well. If you settle for less, you will not have room filling sound and you will not have the full sound spectrum.

Last edited:

MattPaintballer

SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE!!!
Thanks CompUSAemployee!

I was actually thinking about just getting a subwoofer along with an iJet and a dock. I just realized that I have 2 Bose sattelites sitting around unused in my garage.

Are the JBL Encounters any good for something smaller like a personal office or small bedroom?

never heard em, but I know the Logitech mm50 portable system is pretty decent and worth a consideration if you need an all in one dockable system thats less than 150 bucks.

actually MattPaintballer, for 200 bucks (1/2 price), you may want to consider the iFi's because the subwoofer in that system is going to be as good as almost any sub for 200 bucks in the first place unless you go to parts express and get the Dayton 10", but then you'll need an amp for the bose sats and that will cost even more. Seriously, you cant em that system for that price.

iSaspurs2006

Logitec MM50. Hands down. Simply put, the Logitec's are very portable (they come with a carrying case), come with a wireless remote, but most of all, have a rechargable Lithium Ion Battery. The battery alone is a great buying motive, plus the speakers are very well priced.

ingallspod

I just bought the iM3 and am very happy with it. It's extremely portable. Yes, it does work with the 5G, and you can use rechargable AA batteries, but the unit itself doesn't recharge them--you'd have to buy a charger. It does recharge the iPod. If you use battery power, it's good for 24 hrs of use.
My wireless remote didn't work, but I called customer service, and they are sending me a new one this week--no questions asked and no charge.

jbmagic

iSaspurs2006 said:
Logitec MM50. Hands down. Simply put, the Logitec's are very portable (they come with a carrying case), come with a wireless remote, but most of all, have a rechargable Lithium Ion Battery. The battery alone is a great buying motive, plus the speakers are very well priced.

does the Agent 18 case work ok with it? or i need to take it off my ipod video 5th generation 30gb?

chetau

I'm looking into the iM3s myself. Great that they work off rechargable AA's - got heaps of them.