Can't change info in iTunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Miamifan1354

ok, so I've had my Ipod for a while, and I want to move some of the songs around by chaging the album and stuff like that in info. The only problem is, I can't change some of the info. I right click the song, hit get info, and then when it comes up after I click the info tab, everything is gray and I can't edit it. I can change some of the newer stuff I put on the Ipod, but it's the older stuff that I need to format. Any clue how to change this, or what caused it?

Website
www.ilounge.com
The usual cause of this problem is the underlying MP3 files being flagged read-only, which may have happened if they were copied from a data CD.

If you're using Windows, try right-clicking on the entry in iTunes and selecting "Show Song File" This should open an explorer window in the directory containing that file. You can then right-click on the file itself, choose "Properties" and see if the "Read-only" box is checked. If so, uncheck it and click OK.

mekkab

also dir permissions

The usual cause of this problem is the underlying MP3 files being flagged read-only, which may have happened if they were copied from a data CD.

If you're using Windows, try right-clicking on the entry in iTunes and selecting "Show Song File" This should open an explorer window in the directory containing that file. You can then right-click on the file itself, choose "Properties" and see if the "Read-only" box is checked. If so, uncheck it and click OK.
You also need to have write permissions in the directory that the files are in.

I "chmod -R 775"'d and everything worked fine after that.

tbennettflynn

How can I do that with mac?

How do I change that on mac?

Sparkee

On a Mac right click the file in Finder using the same steps jhollington outlined for Windows to find them in Finder and choose Get Info. You should see the "Sharing and Permissions" options at the bottom. Depending on your set up you may need to click on the pad lock in the lower right corner to log in as Admin to make changes. You can also also choose Get Info on the folder containing all your bad music files, change the permissions then click the "gear" icon at the bottom and then click "Apply to enclosed items". Change the Privilege for "your username (Me)" to Read & Write.

greenmonky

Can't change get info on itunes Fixed for windows 7

I select properties of my wife's itunes folder and created new user called everyone and gave full rights now i can edit get info again. So for windows it is permissions issue.

bozojim17

Windows 7 (64 Bit)
iTunes 10.4 version/
80Gb Classic 5th GEN

This will NOT work for me.
"SHOW IN WINDOWS EXPLORER"

I changed hard drives,and had to re-install all the songs back onto the ipod, I saved to an external HDD. But when trying to edit the song info, they are all greyed out.

I opened up one random song, clicked on SHOW IN WINDOWS EXPLORER, tried to un-check the READ-ONLY attributes,then went back to EDIT INFO, and it was still GREYED OUT. Then I tried the same thing for the Main TUNAGE folder where all my music is in,mostly all MP3's. Did the same thing with it's properties> un-check Read-only>apply> OK, went back into itunes and it's STILL GREYED OUT.

cjmnews

Staff member
It is possible that your folder structure is read only, so altering it would require unsetting the read only setting on the top level folder and everything underneath.

It could also be the ownership of the folders. If you had to reinstall or moved the folders from another computer your login may not own the folders. Right click the top level folder, choose properties, then security then Advanced, and Ownership. Take ownership if you do not.

The same issues may exist for your iTunes library file. Check the read-only and ownership of it as well.

FlyinSquiRReL

Go to Libaries>Itunes>Itunes Media>Music. Right click on entire music folder and go to PROPERTIES then uncheck Read-Only. You only unchecked one song file that is why you thought it didnt work with this it should allow you to edit any song in your Itunes Libary.

ffischer

I went to Libaries>Itunes>Itunes Media>Music. Right clicked on entire music folder and went to PROPERTIES then uncheck Read-Only. for about a minute it went through the entire database and then the window closed. It all looked fine, except that it did not change anything to my songs. in "get info" everything stayed greyed out.

cjmnews

Staff member
Try checking out the Advanced Properties of the Folders and see if the Ownership is assigned to your account or not.

A second item to check is to make sure the iTunes folder is not read only, that is where the library file is located and if that is read only, you can't make updates.

jvainstein

Finally a solution

After trying to change read-only attribute for the mp3 files, and changing permissions for the iTunes Media folder WITHOUT SUCCESS, I found the solution: Convert your MP3 to AAC format.
It's done easily with iTunes, but I think this is a DIRTY TACTIC from Apple. Maybe this is why it's the most valuable company in the world: because it plays dirty.

Cold Irons

Dunno....I've got over 20,000 mp3's in iTunes, all can be edited with Get Info within iTunes. May want to actually understand your computer & it's OS prior to bashing others. (Not to mention ruining your lossy music files by transcoding lossy-to-lossy).

elvisp2013

Easy fix for INFO grey out

1) In iTunes, Click on FILE, top left

2) Scroll down to Library

3) Click on 'Library - Organize Library'

4) Click on the box 'Consolidate Files'

Presto - you're done.

ccobbster

Still gray boxes

I've tried all the suggestions, including consolidating my library and still am left with gray boxes. Have repeatedly unset the main iTunes library folder from being Read Only but won't permanently change it, even though I'm prompted as the Administrator to enter that password (and enter it). I'm confugulated!
Am desperately in need of help, trying to set up separate libraries for my kids iPod touches! Thanks in advance.

cjmnews

Staff member
If the iTunes folder reverts back to Read Only then a directory ABOVE it is set to Read Only or you are not the Owner of it.

Close iTunes.

Start at the iTunes folder, check the Ownership (right click the folder, chose Properties, see if it is Read Only, click the Advanced button, Ownership tab, see if the owner is your login or a number, or someone else) go up one level and check that, continue to the root of the drive.

Find the highest directory where it is NOT Read Only AND you ARE the Owner. Then you find the folder within that folder and alter it. Go to the Ownership, and Take Ownership. Then turn off the Read Only flag. Apply these changes to all folders and files. Check the iTunes Library.itl file for read only and ownership. Make sure you own it, and it is read-write.

If you did it right, then this should allow you to change things within iTunes.

Coca Cola Guy

This is total bu-l sh-t!

I have been having the same problem too for ages. I think it's not Apple or the fact that it was copied from the source because I have added songs from iTunes, CD, MP3 download, etc and they have all been able to be edited via "Get Info" window in iTunes. I think someone I download the music from has found the way to prevent some of us more novice iTunes users from editing their notes for songs they made available. I find this more common among people claiming to have "brought to you by ..." when the song was brought to me by the actual DJ not some wanna be. Some culprits are "djstream" & especially "d_b_SARDINIA"

If anyone figures this out please help. I have tried every step mentioned in this thread. Nothing works.

Coca Cola Guy

Got It!!!

I read another post in here about changing the ID3 tag for the song and it worked!!

Here's what I did...

1) uncheck all songs first in your iTunes music list.
2) check just the song that you want to change info too because attempting to change the id3 tags with all titles checked didn't work.
3) right-click song and select "Convert ID3 Tags
4) check "ID3 tag version:" and select a different version from the drop down list. I used v2.3.
5) click OK, and you're done!

go back to "Get Info" and you should be able to edit track name, album info, album art, etc...

Hope that helped! I know it was a long time coming form me to get this done.

jimbeau2013

1) In iTunes, Click on FILE, top left

2) Scroll down to Library

3) Click on 'Library - Organize Library'

4) Click on the box 'Consolidate Files'

Presto - you're done.
Elvis,

Will this effect my files organization wise, don't want to confuse things. Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Jim

cjmnews

Staff member
Jim,
If you have Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized checked in Edit->Preferences, Advanced then yes it will change the organization of the files. For example if you change the Album, it will move the song from it's current album folder and put it into the new album folder. iTunes will automatically organize songs in Artist\Album\song.ext for you.

If you do not have Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized checked, then your physical organization on the file system will not be altered. For example if the song is currently in C:\Music\Favorites\1980s\Pop it will remain in that folder no matter what changes you make to it.

Keep in mind, if you move files, rename files, etc with Windows Explorer, iTunes will no longer be able to find it. You'll need to play the song, use the Locate button to find it again, or delete the old copy of the song and re-import it.