Cancelled my Touch order

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jeremy3721

(I know this is discussed elsewhere but just in case Apple is surfing this site I think they need to see this) I just cancelled my iPod Touch order due to the following:

One reason is I'm just too nervous that 16gb is not enough storage, I'd rather wait for at least 32gb or a harddrive version.

but mainly I cancelled my order because I feel that apple is being just too darn stingy for a device that I'm paying over $400 for.

This device should have every feature it is capable of activated for this amount of money. To purposely disable features such as notes and the ability to add calender entries is just not fair. Hopefully they will come to their senses and activate everything that would work with wi-fi. If not they can keep it and I'll stick with my ipod 5g.

I was thinking about sending them 4 $100 bill but after I deactivate certain features with some scissors :)

Last edited:

Dogenzaka

When is MacWorld again? Maybe holiday sales of the touch will fall through and they'll say "ok, screw flash, let's go back to HDD".

You can always open up your touch later and replace the flash drive once they get cheaper though :x

But wait...you're upset because it doesn't have calendar entries? Ummmmm who cares it's a media player not a PDA.

Ldog12395

Dogenzaka said:
When is MacWorld again? Maybe holiday sales of the touch will fall through and they'll say "ok, screw flash, let's go back to HDD".

You can always open up your touch later and replace the flash drive once they get cheaper though :x

But wait...you're upset because it doesn't have calendar entries? Ummmmm who cares it's a media player not a PDA.
indeed, exactly what i was thinking, who cares, no ones whining about it cause they dont have calender entries on ipod classic:shake:

Dogenzaka

Maybe I should wait out on touch...I can always get it later. I have my 5G White 30GB to satisfy me until then....
I only have about 8GB of music, but the other 8GB will fill up very qiuckly, and $400 for JUST 16GB is insane.

Perhaps I should wait until after the holidays? :/

jeremy3721

Like I said elsewhere, it's not about having the ability to make calendar entries. Crippling the device is just a poor way to treat customers paying a premium for a device like the touch.

IpOdChIcK

I have to agree with this. I understand people's point a little but when it comes down to it.....it's a damn ipod. I'm not buying it for calendar entries, that's what I have my phone for. if I couldn't play all my music or videos, then I'd be upset

Shameless1

Been around a while
Dogenzaka said:

Dogenzaki said this is another thread
"That didn't answer the question. Quit being a fanboy. Everyone knows that sacrificing capacity for flash wasn't the smartest move."

Dogenzaka You have only made 8 post as a new user today and insulted 2 people so far. Nice... NOT

Shameless

Last edited:

Dogenzaka

That wasn't an insult. Fanboy is a description of someone who's a fan of ____ products. Judging from his signature, he is. And now you're spamming the thread.

yacoub

Dogenzaka said:
It should be both, given that most PDAs now offer some level of media player functionality. Instead of Apple offering both a smartphone and a media player w/ some PDA functions for folks who are happy with their current phone, now Apple just loses customers who don't want an iPhone but want a media player with PDA elements included.

In the 21st century it's all about combining functionality into as few devices as possible.

Fact is, most people have a regular cellphone with an existing contract they aren't willing to break until it ends. (And even when it does, what's to say they want to suffer with relatively slow internet access and AT&T or T-Mobile as their carrier?)

This means they could maintain an archaic three-item setup with their cellphone and an iPod and a PDA, or they could find a PDA that offers enough media playing capability to suffice, or a media player with enough PDA capability to suffice, allowing them to go down to two items.

The Touch doesn't offer enough PDA functionality to suffice - but it COULD and it SHOULD because the binaries are already there and it would become much more understandable to charge so much for it when it can perform more functions. Instead Apple gives the consumer the finger and disables these items. Makes no good sense from the consumer perspective. We all already know the financial reasons why they'd do it (they want you to have two nearly identical looking items - iPhone and iPod Touch), so no need to remind us. It's still a jerk move.

Last edited:

Dogenzaka

Um, yes. It wasn't a good decision right now. Right now, HDDs are at their prime, with large capacities and low prices. Flash is expensive right now. They should have waited a while before jumping -_-

Knolly

In their prime?

No... Both HDs and flash are obeying the standard law of technology in which they get cheaper over time and have greater capability. Hard drives will continue to get cheaper and have larger capacities and flash will too, although it will likely always be a few steps behind hard drives.

Dogenzaka

Um, you can't disagree that a 160GB HDD on the iPod touch NOW, and then when flash drives become cheaper and in higher capacity, THEN it would be a smart move to move to them. But not now. They're too costly and low-capacity.

Gunner

Dogenzaka said:
Um, you can't disagree that a 160GB HDD on the iPod touch NOW, and then when flash drives become cheaper and in higher capacity, THEN it would be a smart move to move to them. But not now. They're too costly and low-capacity.
You're kind of talking out of your ### here since you don't know what Apple's decision making process was when figuring this out.

For all we know they made hard drive based Touch prototypes and weren't satisfied with them for any number of reasons, not least of which would be the much poorer battery life that a hard drive based unit would get even if it was physically larger.

You guys are so damn angry about this that it's kind of amusing. Apple didn't give you your perfect media device so you're going to bash it every chance you get.

Huskerz85

First people were whining about the capacity......now they're going on and on about the calender entries! :rolleyes:

It's an entertainment device......not a PDA. I wonder how long it will take for everyone to realize this....... The price may say something else, but then again.....Apple always has released their devices with a pretty high markup before slashing them just a few months later.

I wonder how many will still be as apathetic after the price gets cut.......:rolleyes:

yacoub

"It's an entertainment device......not a PDA."

Only because they're forcing it to be so. :rolleyes:

Huskerz85

If all the people going on and on about the calender issue can't stand adding items through their computer.......they should go buy a Palm or Blackberry. Since when has apple been in the PDA business anyways? :rolleyes:

If people would just stop complaining about the capacity as well and take a step back for a moment......they'd realize as the price for flash memory drops, capacity for many devices dependent on that memory (like the Touch) will most likely increase.

I shudder to think how expensive a Touch would be if it was released with 32 or 64GB right now......

hidea

Woo, the way I look at it,

"one less person to be ahead of my cue line if I ever have to call apple for tech support!" ;).

yacoub

Huskerz85 said:
I shudder to think how expensive a Touch would be if it was released with 32 or 64GB right now......
Considering Sandisk's new Sansa media player with 16GB will be priced at $199, I would guess $299 or $399 for a 32GB model before the end of the year would be an appropriate price.
And considering Apple has neutered the PDA functionality, they really have little reason to charge TWICE as much.