Can I transfer and view the following files in an iPod Touch?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

the_importer

Hi there,

I'm interested in an an iPod Touch, not as an MP3 player (seriously, how can someone hit play on this device when it's in your pocket?) but as a file file viewer. I'd like to be able to view my documents on a portable device that could allow me to cut back on paper printing.

So I'm left with either a Netbook or iPod Touch. A Netbook with WinXP would solve all my compatibility issues, but it's a little big to carry round like a document and a touch screen is much better.

So here are my questions:

1- Can an iPod Touch allow me to transfer and view Word Documents, PDF Documents, Text Files and HTML File?
2- Can I stream and view these files from my Network instead of transferring them?

Thank you

the_importer

rockmyplimsoul said:
No to both, unless there is a hack out there that I'm not aware of.
Strange that the iPod Touch doesn't come with these features, it could be the ultimate PDA.

AdrianW

There are apps available to do this - I've used one called Discover - it allows you to transfer and view pdf files, word documents, excel spreadsheets, images, text files and other file types as well.

But the only way to get the files onto your iPod is via wi-fi, you can't use sync.

The "must have apps" thread also has some apps that will allow you to view the files you want and also check the eReader apps since they will allow you to transfer and view files. I have transferred a PDF file using Stanza onto the iPhone for viewing. You will need to check their website to see what other docs it will allow you to view directly on the iPhone/iPod touch.

ipodlover29

Registered iLounger

Kadelic

Check out dropbox (free) and iFiles ($2) both are great apps.

wyneken

I use the Air Sharing app for this kind of thing. It's strictly a doc-viewing app; it doesn't allow for editing documents on the iPod. Here are the supported formats according to the developer's web site:

VIEWABLE FORMATS
iWork ‘08 and ‘09 (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote)
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), with limited support for XML formats
Web Archive (web pages downloaded by Safari)
HTML Web page
PDF
RTF (Rich Text Format)
RTFD (TextEdit documents with embedded images)
Plain text (many different file extensions), with Unicode support
Source code (C/C++, Objective-C/C++, C#, Java, Javascript, XML, shell scripts, Perl, Ruby, Python, and more), with color-coded formatting
Movies, Audio, and Images (standard iPhone formats)