Can I edit tracks on my iPod when in Manual Sync mode?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bigjohnny7

Hi.

I've just bought an 80GB black video iPod and have just spent the last week putting all my music onto it.

As the only computer we have (a laptop) has insufficient memory to keep all my tracks in iTunes, I decided to back all my music on to DVDs, delete them from iTunes and switch to manual sync mode.

So far, so good. Now, I've read somewhere that in manual sync mode, I can still fully edit tracks on my iPod. Is this true and if so, how can I do it?

Say for example I'm sat on the bus and I'm listening to an album, I look at my iPod and I notice that the song title is spelt incorrectly (or something relaltively minor like that, which I know is not the end of the world, but it would just annoy the hell out of me!), how would I be able to edit it?

If anybody can help, I'd really appreciate it.
Johnny.

PS. I haven't put any music on my iPod since I went to Manual Sync mode but I presume I just drag it from iTunes into the iPod in the source column as I have read. Is it as easy as this?

neb

I am not aware of any method in which you can edit tracks on your iPod (as in song titles etc.), from your iPod. I believe all editing must be done in iTunes.

Feel free to prove me wrong though.

bigjohnny7

Okay thanks - but if I can't edit songs that are on my iPod and not in my iTunes, how can I even delete them?

bigjohnny7

Well I think I have figured it for for myself.

When I backed up all of my iTunes music onto DVD, I was prompted to make a playlist to burn to disc. I called this playlist '16.01.07'.

Now whenever I have my iPod connected, if I click on this playlist I can view all the music on my iPod and edit track information. This enables me to edit and delete my iPod content from iTunes.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
I think Neb may have been confused by your question. Edit: Retracted. He totally understood your point. You have full access to edit songs on your iPod while in manual mode as you have read, but you have access to them while you have the iPod connected to iTunes. Read further.

While on manual sync you CAN edit information on the iPod, but you have to do it while connected to iTunes of course.

Connect the iPod, select it in the device column, and open up the iPod's contents by clicking on the little arrow. You'll have access to music, podcasts, TV shows, Movies, menus as applicable and all your playlists.

All files should be fully editable.

Of course changes to stuff on the iPod will not be reflected to files in the iTunes library (this is a cause for "duplicate" songs on the iPod while in Manual mode).

I'm not sure where this playlist is, but if it's in iTunes, changes you make to it will not reflect on the iPod, unless the playlist is on the iPod and you are editing it under the iPod.

I hope this helps.

To combat the sitting on the bus and seeing a tune that looks weird, A lot of people use the rating system to help with this, setting files to a rating of one star to flag files that need attention, You can then sort by rating, or make a smartplaylist for one star when get back to iTunes to recognize files that need your attention.

Last edited:

Eddie '92

bdb

On the B side of life
What you might want to do is use the ratings (stars) to remind yourself of songs that need work. Some people use one star to denote that something needs to be done, then use the other stars for rating songs. If you don't use the stars for rating songs, then you basically have five reminder types.

e.g. - I don't rate songs, so one star means the song needs editing, three stars means it's in a playlist that doesn't really work for that song, five stars means I don't want the song on my iPod at all. In iTunes I can sort by rating and all the songs that need work will jump to the top.

bigjohnny7

Okay - I thnk I'm sorted now.

Thanks for your help everybody. I really appreciate it.

i.am.barfbagman

i wouldn't use ratings, i use the on-the-go playlist, but thats just me

oh yea, this thread is probably over.lol

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
i.am.barfbagman said:
i wouldn't use ratings, i use the on-the-go playlist, but thats just me

oh yea, this thread is probably over.lol
While adding and keeping a list for on-the-go for songs to fix is one way to do it, what if you want your on-the-go active for some other purpose? Also adding to the on-the-go is a harder process than a simple change of rating on the now playing screen since you can't add to the on-the-go from the now playing screen.

Choosing the one-star rating for trouble tracks for easy identification is really one of the simplest methods. You shouldn't have need to rate a song as one-start anyway, unless you use it to know what to delete ;)