Can I Do this?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

REDSHIFT1

Ok so the main hardrive in this p (C) is almost full. I imagine that my iTunes library probably takes up most of: nearly 30,000 tracks. So I have a possible solution..

Can I get and external drive (1+TB) and copy the current iTunes' library to it and future imports? Will the software "look" in the new drive or is it stuck in the old?

cjmnews

Staff member
You can Consolidate the iTunes Library to a new drive. It's a feature built into iTunes.

I would make a backup of the iTunes Library.itl file first. Probably my whole library as well.

In iTunes File->Library->Organize Library, then check the Consolidate Files box and click OK.
Select the new location for your iTunes Library.
follow the rest of the prompts
Wait for the copy to complete.

Open iTunes.
Play some songs showing they work.
Right click a song and choose Show in Windows Explorer, and it should open on the new drive.
If you are satisfied that all went well, you can delete the original music files (not the iTunes Library.itl file) which you do with Windows Explorer, typically they would be in the Music\iTunes\iTunes Media folder (sometimes called the iTunes Music folder for older libraries).
Once that is deleted, you are done.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
One other suggestion ... Windows seems to occasionally change the drive letter of external drives every once in awhile, it can happen different ways but usually it is because at bootup some other peripheral is recognized before the external drive, such as a USB stick or any other removable media. If your external drive letter changes, iTunes will throw a fit. The good news is that there are two ways to avoid this:

1- After you migrate your entire music library (native files) to the external drive, close down iTunes and then move your "iTunes Library.itl" file from the default iTunes folder on your C: drive to the external drive. Then, hold the Shift key as you launch iTunes and at the prompt select "Choose Library" and navigate to where you put the .itl file on the external drive. This is a one-time thing, and if Windows changes the drive letter on you iTunes seems to be able to figure that out (at least it did once upon a time).

2- Perhaps a better way is for you to tell Windows what letter you want to assign to this external drive. Rather than letting it default to D: or E:, I will force my external drives to the end of the alphabet so that they're never disrupted by any other removable media that may get recognized first. That way your drive letter always stays at X: or whatever you choose. To do this:

a- Open Computer Management (Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management).

b- In the console tree, click Disk Management (Computer Management (Local) / Storage / Disk Management)

c- Right-click a partition, logical drive, or volume, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.

d- To modify a drive letter, click it, click Change, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.

The exact steps above may vary slightly depending on your version of Windows, but Disk Management is what you're after regardless of the version.