Can anything be done to enable "Faster" playback of CD-ripped audiobooks?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

curtw

7 iPods and counting
Website
moviepooper.com
I've been reading all of the threads in this forum, and I tried the suggestion (renaming my m4a's to m4b's). I also set the Genre to "Audiobook," but that doesn't enable the "Faster" mode. "Bookmarking" works great, but the only files that (a) appear in the iTunes 6 search pane as Audiobooks, and (b) let me choose faster playback, are the ones from Audible/Apple.

Is there some trick that I missed?

robert

yep, you missed it or you have a pre generation 4 iPod. My current listen is a homemade aac/m4b on my nano and this also works on my 4G 20GB iPod.

You must either

PC: Convert to aac and rename resulting m4a to m4b (checking bookmark mp3 will not suffice)
Mac: Use tag scripting which causes iPod to recognize as an audiobook. m4b is not enough for mac. There are links to mac process throughout this forum.

See links in signature below for conversion guides.

Edit:
I remember that until I did a soft reset my nano only allowed faster/slower at main menu. After soft reset (first toggle hold button then press center button and menu simultaneously until apple logo appears in LCD) it worked properly when pressing select button repetitively while in book file.

Last edited:

curtw

7 iPods and counting
Website
moviepooper.com
robert said:
...Use tag scripting which causes iPod to recognize as an audiobook. m4b is not enough for mac. There are links to mac process throughout this forum...
Thanks, Robert. I'm set now. But I'd have to take issue with "there are links throughout the forum." You'd have to be a mind-reader to find anything using the iLounge search function. I did spot a mention of File Buddy, but I can't see myself paying $40 for a program when this is the only function I need. VersionTracker led me to FileType, which is a much-more-palatable donationware, and does the job of enabling faster playback perfectly well.

robert

Since I am not mac, take this for what it is worth (from link in the Guide: Converting audio book files,CDs,& mp3s with iTunes5+ to Bookmarking iPod files):

http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=makebookmarkable

and

[Link to Doug Adams Mac Scripting to make Selected Tracks Bookmarkable with iTunes 5.0+]

I assume these links will work, but I am not familiar with Adams Link to me button.

This is how I got to them:

http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts04.php?page=1#selectedtracksbookmarkable

Last edited: