Buying iPhone Abroad?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

danmonk

Has anyone got any thoughts on the potential problems with a UK resident buying an iPhone in the US when it is launched?

Assuming you can get over the first hurdle and buy one without a contract, will there be any operational issues of using an iPhone with a UK sim card?

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
I have a better idea, go ahead and book a flight now, camp out at the Cingular store the night b4r, and ready to be the first chap to take an iPhone across the pond, then start a blog and tell us all about your adventure making it work in the U.K.!!! Wouldn't that be more exciting?

Seriously, u have to UNLOCK it first, hackers usuall find this out after 6-12 mos. I believe Jobs says iPhone will be available in the EU October?. So..... unless u have the unlock magic.

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
Aren't you legally entitled to have a phone unlocked?

Unless that changes if a phone is only available on a contract.

danmonk

To be honest I think unlocking it would be the least of my worrries. Unlocking stolen phones is big business in the UK.

Or, yes, for small fee your carrier will unlock an out of contract phone.

loramarthalas

Yeah, so you could get one on eBay probably the day after they go on sale, if you're willing to pay $1000-1500. AT&T have to unlock any phone when requested to, as long as that phone's contract has been paid out. But really, it would be better to wait until the end of the year and get the 3g version sure to be released for Europe.

danmonk

Hmm yes could be worth hanging on for 3G.

I'd be interested to see how the cost thing pans out. On the assumption that as the handset is not subsidised and therefore not bound by a contract I think it could still be worth picking one up If I happen to find myself in the US at the time of launch. The dollar is very weak against the pound right now and the iPhone UK RRP will no doubt be comparably higher than the US price.

Snakes

Did someone know where the sim card slot is? or are the iphone without sim card slot?
Another question is: what are the price/month for normal cingular contracts today?

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
All GSM phones have sim card. Current Cingy with data plan = about usd$60.

Apple said u HAVE to purchase the phone with a plan, in the U.S. at least.

Snakes

my consideration is to make a contract and buy it for europe when the first simlock hacks are online. but the price for contracts a very high. in america lives people the worked
for 7 bucks an houhr.
i think the prices is definitely to high and many people dont buy one.

in europe the contract strategie doesent work.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Hey, don't discourage Dan, he wants to do it. But yeah, if money IS object, then perhaps one won't be the King of the County (for 6 mos?). :)

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Since when do "businesses" follow users' logic? :D

I shouldn't pay &%^$% for high $petrol.
I shouldn't repeat the information every time they pass me to a new agent.
I shouldn't have to be on hold for 20 minutes. Waa I got nuthing better to do?

Dunn get me started.

zc_squash

I'm anxiously waiting for the release and hoping that the SIM would be unlock soon after. I'm not very keen to purchase one over the eBay so it would be really cool if an unlocking tutorial is posted online. But if there weren't any, i guess i have no choice but to get one from eBay. Anyway, i'm from Malaysia (a small country located in South East Asia).

And oh, about the 3G version of this phone. When do you guys reckon it would be out? Well, if its gonna be launched say only 12 months after the original iPhone, i might just wait for it. After all, the proposed launch date in Asia is in 2008. I suspect it's gonna be mid or late 2008.

sapporobaby

Just plain dumb

Anyone, and I mean anyone that is living outside of the US and is seriously considering buying a US version of the iPhone needs their head examined. Have you not heard that the phone will not have 3G? The European version will be a better phone. Are some people really that stupid and so anxious that they are willing to buy a crippled phone?

djr

Blogging @ iPhoneclub.nl
Website
www.iphoneclub.nl
I agree about the 3G part. Any smartphone now without 3G (umts or preferrably hsdpa) would be a marginal seller. I hope the Apple brand is strong enough to lure consumers into buying the iPhone, 'cause the internet capabilities will be next to useless.

zc_squash

sapporobaby said:
Anyone, and I mean anyone that is living outside of the US and is seriously considering buying a US version of the iPhone needs their head examined. Have you not heard that the phone will not have 3G? The European version will be a better phone. Are some people really that stupid and so anxious that they are willing to buy a crippled phone?
If you mean a phone that has got no 3G capability is crippled then YOU seriously gotta get ur head examined. Not everyone needs 3G. I for instance having a 3G phone but never used it once because i do not need it. Now you may ask, why i get a 3G phone in a first place. Because it was a gift. You are sick man.

sapporobaby

zc_squash said:
If you mean a phone that has got no 3G capability is crippled then YOU seriously gotta get ur head examined. Not everyone needs 3G. I for instance having a 3G phone but never used it once because i do not need it. Now you may ask, why i get a 3G phone in a first place. Because it was a gift. You are sick man.

First I will start with your insults thrown in my direction. This shows you to be the "blank" that you are.

Now I will move on and give you a lesson. Here goes.

The iPhone is being marketed as a media device, i.e, streaming media, Internet media, downloadable media. How you gonna get this content. Wish for it. Hope it falls from the sky? Survey says: you will have to download it. Guess what 3G is for? Internet connections, downloads, media rich content. Of course you have no use for something this advance as Malaysia is half an hour from being a 3rd world country. The more intellectually and mature telecommunications countries see the benefit of 3G. Once you climb down out of the trees, get back with me.

zc_squash

sapporobaby said:
First I will start with your insults thrown in my direction. This shows you to be the "blank" that you are.

Now I will move on and give you a lesson. Here goes.

The iPhone is being marketed as a media device, i.e, streaming media, Internet media, downloadable media. How you gonna get this content. Wish for it. Hope it falls from the sky? Survey says: you will have to download it. Guess what 3G is for? Internet connections, downloads, media rich content. Of course you have no use for something this advance as Malaysia is half an hour from being a 3rd world country. The more intellectually and mature telecommunications countries see the benefit of 3G. Once you climb down out of the trees, get back with me.
LOL! Man, you really made my day. That was one hell of a joke. I mean, have you heard of google? Go read more, you r.e.t.a.r.d before making such a stupid statement. Did you even finish your kindergarten?

But anyway if you really want to know, the iPhone has got more than the internet capability alone (read the specs if you are unsure). i'm gonna use it as a music player, as a basic camera and a mobile phone. Now, why does that hurt you? By the way, why do u even bother about me using the internet function or not?

FIY, i don't frequent this forum much so mail me your craps if you still wanna make yourself look stupid and leave this forum from your lousy flamings. Heaps of thanks. Or keep flaming if you want cuz i just don't bother to reply your nonsense anymore.

i'm outta this place.

p/s: Haha, i still can't stop laughing. There is still an idiot like you in this world. Read more, chap. Go get some education.

Last edited:

Mina

ipodlounge beaver
zc_squash said:
You are sick man

you r.e.t.a.r.d
zc-squash it would have been nice if you argued your case instead of returning his comments with more juvenile name calling.

to repeat what everyone has said a thousand times, if apple could have included 3g in the US iphone, there is no doubt in my mind they would have, but the united states simply isn't technologically ready for it, so he chose an edge network, which is slower, but more widely available. Both are reasonable options, but ofcourse 3g is quicker.

Last edited: