Brushed Steel iPod Tutorial

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
LoneStar said:
I'm just wondering how visible are the writings on the iPod after the brushing. I looked at the pictures, but it's not that clear. I'm especially concerned by the engravings. I feel like I won't see much of it after the brushing.

LoneStar (likes his engraving)
Very visible, it just doesn't look like it because of the light angles I used in the shots, you can still see it fine, it doesn't wear out.

moppe said:
My english sucks so can you please tell me what you mean with:

"1. The tools. You need something square, like a cardboard box or a screwdriver case (like I used), making the 'brushes' square makes it look extremely professional."

What do you mean with making the bushes square and what does a case have to do with that?
Alright, I'll try to make it simple. If the case wasn't there, the brushes wouldn't be straight, so the case makes all of the brushes go the same direction and makes it look better. As you see in this picture, the case keeps the sponge square.

moppe said:
Adam, I would realy enjoy if you could call Apple and ask if this would void your warranty?
I'll give them an email right away, because I don't want to call up America. I will post the answer here.

Nim

BORKA BORKA
Website
fredrik.branstrom.nu
My writings wore off a bit after using fine sandpaper.. I didn't feel like the sponge was making any difference.. now I don't know what to do, kinda leave it at 50% (the finish is not what I imagined it to be yet) to keep the markings on the back there, or just go ahead and wipe them away too, I mean I've got the serial in the pod's memory and it might even look better completely cleanbacked ? I wasn't expecting this outcome though

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
You shouldn't have used sandpaper, its too rough. You just need a bit more patience with the sponge.

mike02gt

i'm still slightly confused about the point of the carboard box or in your case, the screw driver box. Is this just used as a guide to keep the sponge straight or what? I'm curious about doing this but want to be absolutely sure i know what i'm doing before i start. thanks

mike02gt

Adam said:
Bingo, its a guide, what a good word for it :) I'll add that to the guide.
Cool deal. One more question about that actually... from your picture on your tutorial, did you have the ipod wedged between the guide and only expose a small part of the ipod to the sponge?

I'm still confused on the placement of the "guide." Does the iPod itself fit inside the guide?

Thanks for the great write up and idea!

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
Its right up flush with the 'guide'. Because there is a little bit that gets missed because of its 'flushness', I turned it around every 5 mins to get an even finish.

The 'guide' is just there to keep it square, nothing else, you don't even need it if you don't want it.

Hello! I just check my email, and the response from Apple:

"Dear Adam,

Thanks for your email.

Yes your warranty will not be voided if you have made any alterations
at all to your iPod.

Regards,

Linda Kewin
Apple Customer Relations"

Now, that wording is wierd, but doesn't matter, the floodgates have been opened......

Last edited:

mike02gt

Adam said:
Its right up flush with the 'guide'. Because there is a little bit that gets missed because of its 'flushness', I turned it around every 5 mins to get an even finish.

The 'guide' is just there to keep it square, nothing else, you don't even need it if you don't want it.
Thanks for the quick response. Hopefully if i've got time I'll try this on my iPod this weekend. I'll post pics when I get it done.

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
Adam said:
Hello! I just check my email, and the response from Apple:

"Dear Adam,

Thanks for your email.

Yes your warranty will not be voided if you have made any alterations
at all to your iPod.

Regards,

Linda Kewin
Apple Customer Relations"

Now, that wording is wierd, but doesn't matter, the floodgates have been opened......
Is it just me or is that wording tricky enough to be the cause for some debate if you ever used that email in a dispute over the warranty with them?

funkbomb

I followed the directions in the tutorial to my 3rd gen ipod, and all i can say is WOW. Let me tell all of you that this is extremely simple to do and extremely difficult to screw up. I took a scotch brite sponge, and rubbed the back of my ipod back and forth from top to bottom on the back for 10 minutes, and the results were amazing. A beautiful brushed finish is what i got, and fingerprints don't show up. It is now smoother, all my scratches are gone, and it looks great. DOnt worry about screwing up the decals and lettering on the back, they're laser cut into the metal. I urge you to do this, I promise you that you won't regret it! BTW, I'm only 15. Now if a teen can do this and not screw it up, then...well it can't be that hard. Just rub it lightly for 10 to 15 minutes on the back of the sponge and the results are awesome. I encourage you to try it!!

Nim

BORKA BORKA
Website
fredrik.branstrom.nu
The decals? Uh, they wore off for me, I mean I'm sure they're hard to get at, but they're not gonna stick there forever if you rub too much..

Adam, should I try just just brushing the back more? I think my sponge may be too soft or something..

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
I'm back, I just had a week holiday, getting smashed every night with a couple of my friends. Anyway.

funkbomb, good for you, good to hear somebody getting something from it.

Nim, you are using the rough side of it aren't you? eg. http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/70288/200.jpg This kind of a thing?

If so, just keep at it, it takes a while to get the finish desired, might even take an hour or so.

mike02gt

Silverbullet said:
brushed steel looks like hell
To each his own opinion.

The reason I decided to go ahead and "defile" my ipod as some of you so eloquently put it was that I had a lot of scratches and gouges and was tired of constantly wiping finger prints off. It is merely a different solution to solving this problem for many iPod users. If your iPod is still shiny and scratch free then I too would be a little hesitant to scratch it up so to speak. But whatever, do and think as you like.

Mountain Man

Infamouschitlin said:
Also it got rid of every scratch on the back of the pod.
Actually, it didn't really get rid of the scratches, it just added a whole lot more of them!

As for me, I'll be sticking with the shiney back, smudges and all. I think that will look better in the long run than whatever homebrew "brushed metal" look I could manage. Plus, with my new Vaja i-Vod case on the way, I'm not much going to care what the back of my iPod looks like!

Last edited:

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
*bump*

Oh well, one of the most viewed threads on this forum has now turned into a average one, thanks a lot silly database :)

jh-retired

Oh, seriously... get over it, Adam. It's still here. Sorry your precious "Viewed" count went down to only 8050. ;) :D

Last edited:

jh-retired

Very sorry for the lack of a smiley in my post... It truly was also meant in jest. Will edit. :D