Brushed Steel iPod Tutorial

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

blupixelz

this brushed steel mod has been done before...
http://deep.urbanturban.no:16080/ipod/brushed/

but the question is: does it void the warranty for your ipod?

i've also tried this method on some aluminum surface, and one thing i've learned is that you should not press too hard against the surface while brushing. if you do, it will create irregular patterns and therefore it will look like bunch of scratches. also keep the pressure constant and soak the sponge with hot water (just little bit).

grease smudges stopped after the brushing process.

i'm also afraid about the final result near the buttons and headphone jack. i don't think this is a such a gd idea unless you dissamble the ipod.

Last edited:

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
blupixelz, Not sure about the warranty, I only did it when I was certain the iPod worked 100%. As for pressing hard, it actually enhances the effect, by proving more lines for the back. This means it doesn't all look like 'smudged' steel.

The finish on the top is all proportional to the amount of time you spend on it, a 5 minute quickie will look fairly bad, while a 20 minute precision job will have it looking like it came from the factory.

Evil Inside, Yep, scratches dont come as easily, and when they do you can repeat the process, but not for as long this time.

To all,OK, more pics will be coming, the only thing is they won't be of an extremely high quality, its with a 1.1 megapixel old camera, I'll take about 10-20 I guess, in about 24 hours it'll be up.

I am thinking about putting it on a website, something more permanent I guess......

Edit - Wow, 500 posts, that came quickly!

pank2002

Feel the ?
Wow, that really awesome adam. I might do it on mine when i get it back (a frind got for this week.)
I might post e some nice hi-res pictures.

Nicholas

Karma Owner
Another question. Once you make the top of the ipod brushed steel can you still the headphone picture and the word hold?

maxf

If you'd like to have that hosted with bigger pictures on a website, I'd be happy to do it. I've got my red ipod tutorial on my website. Let me know if you're interested!

talkingipods

Wow.. So tempting to do that! I won't do it though unless I know my replacement plan for compusa would still be valid, which I very much doubt it will be.

aswimmer94563

swimmin ipodder
seems like it still would be under warranty. after all, you're only scratching the ipod which should be considered normal use.

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
Thats a good point, and I think with a brasso session, you can get back some of the polish if you really dislike it (I don't know why you would...).

blupixelz

I'm thinking about going to my school engineering lab and using one of the machines we have here. My friend is an mechanical engineering major, and I think he can help me to get that "brushed look." The machine can shave the top of thin metal and has a precision of 1/1000mm. So it all comes down to "Do I really want to do this?"

Still thinking...

The area around the buttons is going to be hard no matter which way I go...

I'm really tired of the grease smudges on the back of my iPod. Why didn't Apple see this as a potential problem?!?! Are we suppose to just stare at it like an art work, and not ever use it? Why didn't Apple do this in the first place? Bah!

Last edited:

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
MOCKBA, yeah sure, just be very careful about protecting the front. I have learnt the hard way if you do not tape down to the smallest measurement you can see, the paint will leak onto the white, very yuk.

The tutorial is up, and more pictures have been taken.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/brushedipod/

More questions?

Nicholas

Karma Owner
Awsome tutorial, awsome pics. One more question. On the top, bottom and sides did you brush the same way as the back. Like up and down? So would the lines on the top and bottom connect to the ones on the back or do they go the opposite direction? Hope you understood that question.

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
Yes, I do, you talkin' about the 'grain' direction?

Alright, now for the sides, its was simple, just keep the grain the same way. However, for the top, the grain would have to cross at 90 degrees regardless. I decided to run the grain lengthways on the top and bottom. Now, where the grain met, I made it one defined line, instead of blending it, and now you can't tell the difference. It is very difficult to see where it crosses over.

To simplify it, just check out this.

Attachments

zapod

Gadgeteer
I can't figure out why you guys are so desperate to 'deface' something as lovely as the iPod!

Finger marks and smudges? Get a cotton duster, breathe on the back of the unit and wipe. Simple.

Scratches? Be more careful about placing the iPod in your pocket together with loose change/keys etc. Or buy a case.

Mine is over 2 years old. Is it scratched? Hell yes! But the occasional going over with iClean fixes that. It's not perfect but I'm not trying to kid myself by trying to make the unit look like 'new'. It gets used. If it was a cheap cassette player or a MD player then I would expect similar levels of wear and tear.

Also, I can't help feeling that unless you're exceedingly good, you're going to end up with an 'amateur' job - much like if you get a can of spray paint at the auto shop to do a panel on your car, it's not going to look professional.

As for warranty... I couldn't be 100% sure that such a mod doesn't invalidate it.

Just chill and be content with the best player on the market.

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
Adam said:
MOCKBA, yeah sure, just be very careful about protecting the front. I have learnt the hard way if you do not tape down to the smallest measurement you can see, the paint will leak onto the white, very yuk.

The tutorial is up, and more pictures have been taken.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/brushedipod/

More questions?
Good job on the page and the pics Adam. Its not for me, as I am content with the iPod back as it is, but I am impressed with the tutorial. I am sure others who want that look will appreciate it also.
Nice job.

LoneStar

I'm just wondering how visible are the writings on the iPod after the brushing. I looked at the pictures, but it's not that clear. I'm especially concerned by the engravings. I feel like I won't see much of it after the brushing.

LoneStar (likes his engraving)

moppe

iPodmaniac
My english sucks so can you please tell me what you mean with:

"1. The tools. You need something square, like a cardboard box or a screwdriver case (like I used), making the 'brushes' square makes it look extremely professional."

What do you mean with making the bushes square and what does a case have to do with that?

moppe

iPodmaniac
Adam, I would realy enjoy if you could call Apple and ask if this would void your warranty?