• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

brand new 4th gen. just came in ... :-)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Thesorus

I received my new 40gig 4th gen ...

I tried installing it at work, using usb2 connection, and it didn't work, and spent ( too much ) time reading the different problem reports and was anxious getting home and try it...

First thing, just to see if it worked out of the box, un packed the iPod, and plugged it in ( firewire ), and Great, it works ... syncing ...

Hurray ...

Gawd it's soooo shinny, forgot how nice it looked brand new; for now will use the old apple case, the iPod fits snuggly in it.

40 gig. darn, that's more than twice the space I had ... will need to update my sync-playlist ...

Thanks Apple ... for the quick ship and the experience ...

M.

P.S. will keep old 3rd. gen a couple of days, just to be on the safe side then...

maisany

iPod As An iCon Of The Global Economy

The most amazing thing to me about my new 4G40 was it's delivery.

I placed my order on line, from the Apple web site, on Wednesday night, July 21st, and I had it in my hands before lunch on Friday, July 23rd, and this is shipped from Shanghai, China!

Watching my package jetting across the globe on Thursday was an amazing thing, in and of itself: Left Shanghai 9 PM (luckily, 12+ hours earlier here!); hit Anchorage 1:31 PM and left there four hours later; arrives at Indiannapolis at 1:19 AM Friday, leaving on it's last leg two hours later; arriving in NYC at 7:24 AM, on the truck less than 40 minutes later, and in my hot little hands less than 40 hours after I had clicked "Complete Order" on the Apple Store web site.

If that's not a demonstration of the miracle of the modern global economy, I don't what is.

jedk

Re: iPod As An iCon Of The Global Economy

maisany said:
The most amazing thing to me about my new 4G40 was it's delivery.

I placed my order on line, from the Apple web site, on Wednesday night, July 21st, and I had it in my hands before lunch on Friday, July 23rd, and this is shipped from Shanghai, China!

Watching my package jetting across the globe on Thursday was an amazing thing, in and of itself: Left Shanghai 9 PM (luckily, 12+ hours earlier here!); hit Anchorage 1:31 PM and left there four hours later; arrives at Indiannapolis at 1:19 AM Friday, leaving on it's last leg two hours later; arriving in NYC at 7:24 AM, on the truck less than 40 minutes later, and in my hot little hands less than 40 hours after I had clicked "Complete Order" on the Apple Store web site.

If that's not a demonstration of the miracle of the modern global economy, I don't what is.
That's pretty cool. ;]

jayneyo

VERY HAPPY!
Thesorus...THANKYOU!!!!!!!
You don't quite realise how much happier that whole post has made me feel! I am sooooooooooo worried about all the things that have been going wrong with the 4th gen (audio problems, click wheel not fitting, connection things etc) that I have been thinking about cancelling my order. But hearing that you got your 4th gen quickly (delivery is another issue...i need mine before I go to the Czech Republic two weeks today which is not going to happen but hey ho!) and haven't had problems with it eases my mind a lot!

THANKYOU!!

Thesorus

I will update my "iPod story" in a couple of days after I played with it at bit more ...

Thesorus

( sorry for the bad english ... )

Well, it's been a couple of days already ...

After the initial Hurray, I decided that, I'd better reset everything and uninstall all and reinstall everything.

I had the problem of the iPod not being detected by winXP, so, instead of running in circle chanting incantions like a crazy person, I went to the store, bought a couple of beers and a bag of chips, and went back home, sat in front of the computer, and started reading. I read posts here, and support posts at Apple.com; there I found a post saying that there's a patch at microsoft that fixes a firewire problem; so I install it ... nothing changed ... hmmmm

time for a second beer ...

now, I get my brain working ... what's the setup I have, PC, firewire card, external firewire HD, iPod connected to the external HD which is connected to the PC ... so, I decided to plug the iPod in the second firewire port of the card ...

Ding Dong ... iPod is not detected ...

Now, we're talking ...

So, I restored the iPod ...

Launched iTune, updated my synching playlist ( 40gig up from 15gig ) ... started the sync, and I went out for lunch ...

Came back, iPod is as full as am I ... and still warm ...

How comfy ...

How that the hardware/software problems are fixed/resolve, I can forget about them, and start to use my iPod ....

luckily, the iPod fits in the old 15gig apple case; nice, no need to hurry up and order another case.

I'm still not sure about the clickwheel, seems the weak spot of my iPod; I haven't read the iPod mini forums about that , but I figure if Apple went on and use the same desing on the 4th gen, it must work. The buttons are a bit "hard" on the touch compare to the 3gen buttons, and makes controling the iPod a bit hard with one hand. The wheel feels more sensitive; maybe because the buttons are harder to use.

Things I'm not sure I like, is when I put the ear-phone jack in, it powers the unit ( at least it stays on pause ); but pausing the unit when removing the jack is a good idea.

The display is clearer, I like the bluish tone.

As for the software, works fine, haven't had any problem with it yet, and don't really believe that I will either.

the unit sounds a bit louder.

I use the iPod a couple of hours everyday, commuting, gym, cycling ( on closed circuit )

that's it for now ..