Bookmark database - hacking into it?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
There are a number of really clever software people out there, smart enough to write code to allow us to move music files off the iPod onto our PCs or Macs, etc, and do lots of other clever stuff.

I'm just wondering whether anyone has found out the details of how the Audible (and now maybe .MB4) bookmarks are stored on the iPod?

It would be really useful to be able to BACK UP the bookmark list, or have a software utility which would let you CREATE a bookmark at a particular timecode location in an Audible file.

Any hackers out there who could tackle this challenge?

In fact, I don't see why Apple shouldn't publish the appropriate information and help us out. Or for THAT matter, why they shouldn't build the functionality themselves into iTunes.

Last edited:

ginalee

Website
www.slavecalledshiver.com
Hi David, I'm sure Audible wouldn't appreciate anyone "hacking" into their proprietary software.

Edit: after some discussion behind the scenes I' reopening since your motives seem to be harmless.

Why exactly would anyone want to back up a bookmark?

Last edited:

MikeM

Retired
Like all other info, I'm assuming that the boomark info is stored in the iTunes DB. Backing up is simple as backing-up the iTues DB. Now getting into to make changes is different...

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
ginalee, I'm NOT suggesting hacking into any one's proprietary software. I admit that "hacking" was probably a bad word to choose.

All I want to know is if Apple are prepared to publish information about how bookmarks are stored. (And then for someone to figure out how to manipulate that information).

At the very least, on my wishlist for the next version of the iPod software would be more control over bookmarks. It would, for example, be really nice for the iPod to retain a "trail" of bookmarks on a particular book. And maybe a way of disabling the dreaded "one touch on the 'previous' key and you lose your bookmark" problem.