Blur or Oasis?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Blur or Oasis

• Total voters

RatherPlayHalo

Website
www.fansforscript.com
The million-dollar question. Which band do you like better on any given day, Blur or Oasis?

If there was a gun to my head and I absolutely had to choose, I would probably say Blur because their songs are more diverse. I find them to be a bit more ambitious than Oasis with their structures and whatnot.

Both great bands in my opinion and I think that their feud with each other only motivated them to be better in the long run.

Signal to Noise

Oasis got the radio airplay so therefore I didn't bother with buying their albums. I also disliked their whole 'We are Rock Gods' attitude.

I only own the Blur Best Of CD set and it's quite good. So I give the nod to them.

So do I win the million dollars?

neb

Firstly, they both wrote and performed some cracking tunes. Oasis' material circa Definitely Maybe deserved a lot (read: not all) of the positive plaudits it received on their emergence. The Gallaghers are an odd twosome, but have Oasis in their heart with everything they do.

Blur, on the other hand, took it to the next level. Not only did they have the chart hits, as Oasis did. But they had something else; diversity. Blur's back catalogue is revered as one of the greatest. Albarn has furthered this by the side-projects Gorillaz and TGTBATQ. Personally I find Albarn just as repulsive as Liam and Noel, but hey-ho.

So it's Blur for me, but incidentally I would take Pulp over either of them.

Jackonicko

Retired
Pretentious fey tossers with art school cred and too few good tunes, or boorish, neanderthal Manc f***wits with plenty of great tunes, but too much ego?

It has to be Oasis, because Blur never managed to do anything as consistently, hummably brilliant as Definitely Maybe.

dimmer

Lounge Lizard
Jackonicko said:
Pretentious fey tossers with art school cred and too few good tunes, or boorish, neanderthal Manc f***wits with plenty of great tunes, but too much ego?

It has to be Oasis, because Blur never managed to do anything as consistently, hummably brilliant as Definitely Maybe.
I would say Blur is more "consistently hummably brilliant" than Oasis, who have basically only their first 2 albums being any good at all, and then only if you are in the mood for lunk-headed rawk cliches. Blur, ignoring Country House, were a consistently great singles band, and their albums are pretty good as well - certainly listenable all through, and in the case of Parklife, a Britpop classic.

And I agree, in terms of Britpop of that era, Pulp are better than both of them, as are Teenage Fanclub (which admittedly sound American and not Britpopish).

neb

Mr Jacko, Think Tank is the best album from either of these bands. But I concede that Definitely Maybe is second, marginally above Parklife. As personalities they are all repulsive, with the exception of Graham Coxon.

The critics attached themselves to Oasis too quickly. They were heralded in the same dynasty as The Who and The Beatles. In reality I don't they belong within a yard of those bands.

dimmer

Lounge Lizard
Hmmm - in my opinion Think Tank is easily the worst Blur album. In fact it is hardly a Blur album at all, just Albarn meandering through some second rate ideas. Best are Parklife, Blur and The Great Escape, followed closely by Modern Life is Rubbish and 13 - a really solid core of good to great albums. Definitely Maybe is the only Oasis album worth mentioning in the company of those albums, and maybe the singles off Morning Glory. After that who cares....

Last edited:

bdb

On the B side of life
Ah, good to see I'm not the only one who liked Think Tank.

I never cared much for Oasis because of their attitude. While their music was OK, it was never among my favorites, and I don't think it was deserving of the outrageous amount of media hype.

Dead Star

I love oasis. so they are who I voted for.

I dont really know any of the blur stuff, though. what albums or songs would you recommend? and which pulp albums?

dimmer

Lounge Lizard
Blur - get the Best Of, or if you want a proper album either Parklife or Blur (the one with the wheeled stretcher on the cover). Blur are really an art rock/indie band and stand in the same line as groups such as The Kinks and XTC. Best known single is probably "Song 2" but that's not very representative.

Pulp - Different Class is the best, His 'n'Hers is almost as good, This Is Hardcore is great in parts, as is We Love Life. There is a Best Of out as well but I am not sure what is on it - Pulp are best heard on their real albums I think. Pulp are best thought of as being in the same line as early Roxy Music and Bowie, but that doesn't really sum them up either - you need to add in more greasy disco and pop elements to the mix. In Britain their best known single is probably Common People.

Warning - both these bands are truly British, and the music does not always translate well to the rest of the world.

Last edited:

Phillyzero

Canadian Lounger
Oasis easily...just the two albums Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory are much better than something like Park Life. Also Oasis imo had a slightly more classic rock (idc if they borrow a lot) and edgier sound that Blur which was more purist britpop. I don't mind if the Gallagher brothers have a crap attitude, just make some decent music, and if does well in the mainstream so be it.

neb

dimmer said:
Hmmm - in my opinion Think Tank is easily the worst Blur album. In fact it is hardly a Blur album at all, just Albarn meandering through some second rate ideas. Best are Parklife, Blur and The Great Escape, followed closely by Modern Life is Rubbish and 13 - a really solid core of good to great albums. Definitely Maybe is the only Oasis album worth mentioning in the company of those albums, and maybe the singles off Morning Glory. After that who cares....
I can't let this slide!

Think Tank is so awesomely brilliant, right from the Banksy cover to the moody undertones the concept relies on. It's also the album which set Albarn up for the Gorillaz and TGTBATQ side-projects. One can only hope that Blur return with/without Coxon to give the music listening public more of the same. And with Coxon in the lineup that means more albums like Think Tank. I'll be happy with that.

Derek McNelly

Website
www.myspace.com
dimmer said:
Warning - both these bands are truly British, and the music does not always translate well to the rest of the world.
This is very true, although, Oasis seems to stand up better on the international picture than Blur does.

I'm not a big fan of Blur myself. They're definitely talented, but I just am able to dig Oasis so much more.

Just a personal preference thing.

dimmer

Lounge Lizard
OK so lets lets add Think Tank into the list of great Blur albums (I don't mind as it proves my point even further) - so that gives us a consistent run of albums from Modern Life is Rubbish through to Think Tank (thats 6 out of 7 of their albums) which are all candidates for the best album done by any group, in any country in the 90s. Thats how good Blur are. By contrast with Oasis people are going to struggle to name any albums worth listening to (or for that matter just any albums) beyond Definitely Maybe and half of Whats the Story Morning Glory, because everything else is rubbish.

So the conclusion - Blur is the most consistently great group to come out of Britain since The Smiths, and Oasis is not even close to being in the same league (despite a very good first album). I think the group that we should be comparing Blur with is not an also ran like Oasis, but their contemporaries Pavement, who they can resemble at times (particularly the albums Blur and 13). Now thats a much harder call as to who is actually better - Pavement is more influential and their first 2 albums are better than anything by Blur, but they are not necessarily as even in quality after that.

Last edited:

bigjohnny7

I'm from Manchester and I'm ashamed that I share the same home city as Oasis.

I was never into Blur at the time (the mid-90s) as all their fans seemed to be clique followers or boys who wear eyeliner. I've been repulsed by Oasis since I was first made aware of them.

Looking back, the better band is Blur. At least they have produced original material, as opposed to Noel Gallagher who just uses stolen riffs and classic rock clichés.

At least Blur fans seem to be intelligent. Apologies if this offends anyone but Oasis fans (on the whole) tend to be moronic. As Oasis's hits have dried up, their neanderthalic fans have started following Kasabian - another band that promotes the horrible mob mentality.

I'm off to throw stones at the Gallagher's house in Burnage...

dimmer

Lounge Lizard
Trouble is if you do a poll like this, all the non-Brits who have mostly never heard Blur, except maybe for Song 2, but know the handful of Oasis hits from the 2nd album, all vote for Oasis. And yet theres nothing more to the group than that - as you say stolen riffs and classic rock cliches, and a string of embarrassingly bad albums. Strange and sad.

antiditz

Dimmer has a point. Back in my radio days (daze?), of the two, Oasis was the one I was aware of until Song 2 came along. Still, now that I'm older and possess a broader knowledge of both bands' output, I still lean toward Oasis. Yes, their songs are formulaic and often repetitive, sometimes lyrically stale, but they're still damn good songs. I've always held a soft spot for the Bickering Mancunians. Maybe it's because of the attached memories? I don't know; both bands were very good in their heyday, but it's Oasis > Blur for me.

rafterboy42

Who needs either when you have the Stone Roses?

I'd have to sit on the Oasis side, the 1996 MTV unplugged performace without Liam is one of my favs!