• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Blu-Ray

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Germansuplex

I'm quite excited that the format war is over, that format being Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD. Now that Blu-Ray has emerged as the victor, I think we'll start seeing the format more heavily developed and advanced. Double-layer Blu-Rays can hold somewhere in the vicinity of 50 GB of data, and that would be a huge help for data backup. External drives are nice, but I always feel safer when I have some data DVD's safe in a container on a shelf for backup purposes. Three or four double-layered Blu-Ray discs could probably hold my entire iTunes library: lossless audio, lossy audio, videos & all.

Sorry, I didn't quite know where to post this, but I figured it may spark up some discussion on the format war.

I do own an X-Box 360 HD-DVD Drive. I'm not sure what I'll do with that now. I also wonder if Microsoft will incorporate Blu-Ray into the X-Box lines one day, seeing as they were huge backers of HD-DVD.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
I for one am not *that* excited.

Few years after DVD double layer blanks became available, they are still expensive (relatively speaking) and sometimes tricky to burn.

BR is *only* like 3x (6x?) better than DVD. I dunn get excited about anything until they reach 10x+ better.

And at today's HD rock-bottom prices (and very reliable), makes u do a double-take whether the price differential/convinience is worth the trouble.

I wait until blanks drops below $5 and drives available under $150.

bdb

On the B side of life
That's pretty much my take on it as well. Blu-Ray disks are more expensive to manufacture than HD-DVD, so they may end up like dual-layer DVD - always pricey, even per gigabyte. And dual-layer Blu-Ray would likely be even more so. I've never seen anything documenting how much more it costs to make them, so this may or may not be a significant issue.

Single-layer DVDs are 4.7GB; single-layer Blue-Ray is 25. Its a little over 5 times the space. Currently blanks cost about 100 times as much, so its not even worth considering right now. We'll just have to wait and see how fast and how much this changes in the future.

Pre-recorded Blu-Ray can also has dynamic DRM, which can be changed any time the studio desires (e.g. every title could have to be individually rever-engineered). If its used to its full extent, this could make ripping disks much less common. This coud affect both the popularity of pre-recorded Blu-Ray disks as well as the price of blanks.

I think Toshiba initially believed that HD-DVD could have a life of its own as a lower-cost data storage, but the tide was shifting too hard so they gave up. Personally I see Blu-Ray's winning of the HD format war as a big shot in the arm for regular old DVD.

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
As far as movies go, I'd rather buy discs instead of downloads.

It's a lot easier to take a DVD to other people's houses than to bring my iPod and connect it.

JMG

asdf
ehhh... my DVDs still look awesome on my HDTV. When you can get a blu-ray player for less than $100 then I'll be interested.

Germansuplex

Obviously, double-layered Blu-Ray likely has a long way to go before being affordable (if it happens at all), but much like blank single-layer DVDs, I think it's only a matter of time before Blu-Ray becomes as affordable as DVDs.

Players are bound to drop below the $100 mark. DVD's became mass marketed right around the time DVD players got to be around that range, and it wasn't long after that the VHS section become a little display at the end of the DVD aisle. The reason DVDs have taken off so much is because of the affordability of players and movies. Sony has to know that $300 players and $30 movies will not fill the aisles as long as DVD is around. As mentioned, standard DVDs still look pretty damn good upscaled. So I think it's a given prices will come down dramatically. It's just a matter of time.

hyroboarder

At first I wanted hd dvd to win because I wanted the (at the time) 200$ xbox 360 add on player. Last Christmas however we broke down and bought a blu ray player w/ 5 free discs. Picture quality is just so much better than dvd's I can't believe it.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Am more excited about flash memory or whatever they put in the Touch and USB dongles. Lately seem like their capacity doesn't double every 18 months following Moores' but every freaking 6 months!

If everything the same, I rather plug in a stick in my HD video screen than a unwieldy 5" disc. Me think 5" disc is passed its prime.

kylo4

blu-ray discs cost about $3-4 to make the actual disc. They cost a lot more because they use a special coating that makes them three times as scratch resistant as DVD's.

I have a nice 80GB blu-ray player, I'm sorry, PS3 (forgot it played games there for a second). I wasn't buying into it at first until I bought one and from that moment on all my purchases will be blu-ray if possible. My dad hates upgrading stuff and kept saying everything people who haven't seen it do until I played him the movie and he didn't smile or anything. Kind of grunted and said, "You're right."

I picked the 360 add on for $50 after the format was announced as over because I could still mail in for the 5 free movies, I got King Kong and the remote, and these 1080p films are going to be insanely cheap in the coming weeks. It' a win win because $50 nets you a decent DVD player as is.