• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Best way to convert video for Ipad?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

deadmanh

There seem to be a few ways to do this, but I'm not savy enough to know the 'best' way to convert existing .avi and .wmv files to a format that the Ipad likes. What do you recommend? I don't mind paying if I have to, but I don't want to put my money to the wrong program.

Danny

tonton

Seems to me HandBrake should do the trick just fine. It would be nice to know if there's an easier free solution.

kornchild2002

I would wait as programs are not currently using an iPad specific profile. Handbrake is a good program for converting ripped DVDs and an older version of Nero Recode would be the best for other files. The 640X480 videos they produce look decent on the iPad's monitor but they could look better.

mikeski

I just downloaded handbrake (Free). It appears to work quite well. I converted a number of .mov files using the Apple Universal setting to .m4v.

I am sure there are better. I plan to be ripping some of my DVD's when I get home from this business trip. I would like to find a good app that does it all.

mikeski

kornchild2002

I just downloaded handbrake (Free). It appears to work quite well. I converted a number of .mov files using the Apple Universal setting to .m4v.
handbrake is nice and that is what I use to convert ripped DVDs for AppleTV and iPod classic playback. That being said, they should update their program here pretty soon and add an iPad encoding profile. I just hope that it doesn't try to take a standard def video (which only needs about 1.5Mbps and a resolution around 640X480) and blow it up to 720p with a video bitrate of 3Mbps or higher.

I have a bunch of 1080p HD videos that I would like to convert down to 720p for my iPad but I am holding out until handbrake has an iPad setting (though I am sure the AppleTV setting might work).

bmwmpower

I would highly recommend handbrake. I've been using that for my Blackberry videos.. though I know an iPad is a lot bigger LOL

Mr. E.

Barca Lounger
While I expect Handbrake doesn't have a default profile for the iPad yet, you can manually put in whatever settings you want. It's just a matter of figuring out what your best balance of size vs. quality is. I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could then save your preferred settings as a profile yourself, rather than waiting for the Handbrake programmers to do it.

sracer

While I expect Handbrake doesn't have a default profile for the iPad yet, you can manually put in whatever settings you want. It's just a matter of figuring out what your best balance of size vs. quality is. I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could then save your preferred settings as a profile yourself, rather than waiting for the Handbrake programmers to do it.
That is correct... the latest versions of Handbrake allow for saving custom profiles. I've experimented quite a bit with Handbrake encodes for the iPad over the last few days and increasing encoding specs to increase quality result in significant increases in filesizes with negligible increases in picture quality.

I'm interested to see what settings others are using.

Scarpad

I Use Handbrake, either the AppleTV or the Universal srettings.l The only Downside to HB is the Audio it produces is way too quiet, even raising the compression in the specs does'nt help much.

jmuhobo

On the fly converting via Air Video.
Air Video is an awesome program. I really suggest people to buy this product because of the convenience factor. This allows a user to stream all your video content remotely to your ipad/iphone through Internet or 3G.

It converts on the fly, This makes me really want to get a 3G version of the IPad, what do you guys think of the resale value of a Wifi 32GIG ipad that has been used but in good condition?

Jayjayphoto

Am I doing something wrong?

For some reason My video was not able to transfer to iTunes.
I ripped it using mac the ripper, then using handbrake converted it by chosing the apple tv preset. It converted it to a mpg4 video file....but will not accept it In I-tunes.
Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks

J

Skrat

For some reason My video was not able to transfer to iTunes.
I ripped it using mac the ripper, then using handbrake converted it by chosing the apple tv preset. It converted it to a mpg4 video file....but will not accept it In I-tunes.
Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks

J
I often had the same problem when trying to convert .mkv vids with HB. I gave up on HB and downloaded VideoMonkey instead. It's free and worked liked a charm to convert a 5Gb mkv file to iPad format. VideoMonkey seems to be based on iSquint which I used for all my iPhone conversions until the developer stopped work on it. Try VideoMonkey out though. Google is your friend. lol

Jayjayphoto

I often had the same problem when trying to convert .mkv vids with HB. I gave up on HB and downloaded VideoMonkey instead. It's free and worked liked a charm to convert a 5Gb mkv file to iPad format. VideoMonkey seems to be based on iSquint which I used for all my iPhone conversions until the developer stopped work on it. Try VideoMonkey out though. Google is your friend. lol
Thanks i'll give it a shot!

mr_infamy

Married Man of Mystery
I'm another AirVideo junkie. When I'm at home I just play videos from my library with live conversion on AirVideo.

If I want to take videos with me I have been doing it the lazy way and just copying them into the VLC app. It works 99% of the time for me. The one time it threw a fit I re-encoded the offending video with the AirVideo server software and that fixed it.

I really like the idea of streaming my media on my local netowrk. I loathe the idea of doing it anywhere else :p