• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Best way to convert video for Ipad?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kornchild2002

Does the VLC app work well? I have heard very mixed reviews?
Yes and no. It works for me with Divx/Xvid AVI files (at around 480p) with either AC3 (both stereo and 5.1) and mp3 (stereo only) audio. I haven't tried it with anything else though. I imagine I would have a hard time playing a 720p h.264 MKV file with DTS 5.1 audio. I don't think these apps are going to be the end all solution for video playback on the iPad. They are a nice upgrade but people still, rather dumbly, insist on using the terrible MKV container for their content. That is going to immediately limit playback to a handful of devices (most of them being crappy) and PC applications.

Anne003

There seem to be a few ways to do this, but I'm not savy enough to know the 'best' way to convert existing .avi and .wmv files to a format that the Ipad likes. What do you recommend? I don't mind paying if I have to, but I don't want to put my money to the wrong program.

Danny

Maybe you should try that site.

Adonsa

Air Video...
Handbrake

-- Public Domain / Freeware
-- Rates high on the MacUpdate
-- MacUpdate Evaluation of Handbrake and Download Link

AirVideo

-- rates high on both the MacUpdate and VersionTracker websites.
-- Macupdate Evaluation of AirVideo and Download Link

Zumocast

-- VersionTracker Evaluation of Zumocast and Download Link
-- Read jimkools comments on the above URL
-- "cloud" oriented storage system

MPEG Streamclip

-- Rates High on the MacUpdate website
-- MacUpdate Evaluation of Streamclip and Download Link
--
...convert them into muxed or demuxed files, or export them to QuickTime, AVI, DV and MPEG-4 files with more than professional quality, so you can easily import them in Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Toast 6, 7, 8, and use them with many other applications or devices.
Supported input formats: MPEG, VOB, PS, M2P, MOD, VRO, DAT, MOV, DV, AVI, MP4, TS, M2T, MMV, REC, VID, AUD, AVR, VDR, PVR, TP0, TOD, M2V, M1V, MPV, AIFF, M1A, MP2, MPA, AC3, ...
iFunia MKV Converter

-- Shareware USD $29
-- Version Tracker evaluation of iFunia and Download Link

iFunia Video converter Pro

-- Shareware fee USD $ 35

iFunia iPad Video Converter

-- Shareware Fee USD $29

IFunia DVD to iPad Converter

-- Shareware Fee USD $29

rodzs

I use CloneDVD Mobile along with AnyDVD. I does takes time to convert them but it has worked for me and why change it? What I also like about it is that it works for almost every mobile device. I use it for my iPad and the Sony PSP. Here is the link: www(dot)slysoft(dot) com.

AccessoryGeeks

You do not need to convert the files. There is a app to run almost any types of video files like AVPlayer.
I think this will be the best option.

kainehill

Air Video is an awesome program. I really suggest people to buy this product because of the convenience factor. This allows a user to stream all your video content remotely to your ipad/iphone through Internet or 3G.

It converts on the fly, This makes me really want to get a 3G version of the IPad, what do you guys think of the resale value of a Wifi 32GIG ipad that has been used but in good condition?

I will surely looking forward for Air video. I hope it will lead good help for me.

WillyMaxx

HandBrake is great!:)
And many software to do that...for me, I normally use a paid Leawo video converter and convert videos for iPad.