Best Skin Ever - 5G Clear Case - AWESOME!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

domitron

First, while I have lurked around here for months, this is my first post. That is mainly because this is the first time I have been worked up enough about something that I wanted to post that others didn't already totally talk about. Mostly everything has been said enough. Last time I got this worked up was for my Shure E2Cs, but everyone knows about those already. And first, before I go on, let me say I have absolutely no vested interest in Best Skins Ever. If you are skeptical about them, don't buy from them.

So what got me all worked up? I put on my clear, almost invisible case on my 60GB iPod 5G from the guys at Best Skins Ever. Since I am new I can't put on the URL since I could be a spammer I guess, but I know there is something on here about them because that's how I found out about them. Anyway, I was just blown away by their product. For $7 you get a very tough invisible skin all over your iPod minus the ports that doesn't bubble. It's basically the same product another vendor, that will remain unnamed, is selling for about $30.

What do I think? The iPod should come with a skin like this! Simply put, it looks unbelievable! While most iPod skin-makers are totally ripping off the typical yuppie owner (myself included), at $7 these guys are making an honest buck (no matter what the product really costs them). It's a perfect skin that protects your screen and back from scratches. You literally can barely tell it's on--this is no exaggeration! And what I wasn't expecting is that after I got it on, minor scratches that were already there seemingly vanish or were greatly reduced while the texture of the iPod thumb wheel actually improved. Even if you already have a hard case or silicone case, I recommend this skin as an underskin because somtimes a piece of scratching stuff gets caught between them and the iPod.

Also, this is one of the few clear cases out there even available for the 5Gs.

PS - I tried--I mean I REALLY tried--to take pictures of this product. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get a decent picture. I have a Olympus 5050, but this skin is almost impossible to see in a picture. You really need to just trust me on this one. They have some pictures of it on their website that are way better than what I took, and they do represent what the product really looks like.

Last edited:

kgirlsbug

How long was the shipping time? I ordered mine Friday, and I cant wait to take off this crappy Palm Pilot spliced skin

nabwong

A friend of mine bought the Best Skin and i bought the Invisible Shield. We tried a scratch test with our keys. Bad results on the BS. The IS however, revealed no scratches.

We concluded that the BS is NOT as good as the IS.

domitron

Shipping time was about four business days. I think it came regular mail, not priority.

nabwong, when you say bad results, what do you mean? I don't doubt it, but I was wondering. Best Skin sources their material from 3M. Who does Invisible Shield source from? Maybe a better 3M version of the same?

One thing I still can't get over is that my Ipod looks almost better from the front now than it did without the film because it gives it a polished look.

nabwong

I meant that there were scratches which didn't go away on the ipod. In the end, my friend removed the skin, did some polishing which removed the scratches and then applied the invisible shield.

Sorry, i'm just concern for you ipod. It is not personal. I put my ipod and keys in the same pocket. Till now, still no scratches. I really would recommend the IS. I must add that this is just MY experience. Try searching the forum for others.

domitron

nabwong, I don't believe you. Your story sounds like a bunch of bull#### to me.

I took the 3M Best Skin material scraps that were left and tried to scratch an acrylic sheet through it using a butter KNIFE (forget keys). Applying about 15 POUNDS of force, I scraped the acrylic without the shield to get a baseline effect. A huge shaving of acrylic came off and a deep scratch formed on the acrylic. Doing the exact same through the shield, I could not get the acrylic to scratch at all. The shield material was significantly and permanently scratched but the acrylic under it was not scratched at all.

There is no way that keys could scratch through this material as you describe unless a huge amount of force (maybe 25 pounds or so) was applied to puncture the material. If a key did manage to make its way through this material—say you tripped and your keys were jammed into the ipod by the weight of your body--the force would be so extreme that once puncturing it, it would destroy the casing permanently and most likely dent it as well; there would be no “buffing out” the scratches as you describe.

Perhaps if you had made up a better story about the material being noticeably messed up whereas the Invisible Shield was not, I could have bought it. As it is, I think your lying.

domitron

If anyone here is interesting in seeing a picture of my experiment, I am more than willing to share it. I am on lunch break now, but I could take some pictures after work.

nabwong

don't get emotional. Just try the keys ON the IPOD; not without it. If you don't believe, i'm not at a lost. I'm genuinely concerned and if you can't see that, then too bad. Sigh...i think i'll not post on this forum anymore.

Last edited:

chungsoi

I agree with you nabwong. It has been proven by many members both here and other forums that BSE is just, well, BS. It is much thinner than the IS, and is highly prone to microscratches. If you want total protection, don't waste your money on the bull####skinsever and go straight for IS.

domitron

chungsoi, perhaps you need to RE-READ what nabwong wrote. He said, "... my friend removed the [Best] skin, did some polishing which removed the scratches and then applied the invisible shield." That means nabwong is claiming that the scratches were created ON HIS FRIEND'S IPOD THROUGH THE BEST SKIN, NOT ONLY ON THE BEST SKIN ITSELF. There is a big difference between claiming that the Best Skin got scratched and the iPod itself was scratched. Why is that distinction so difficult to understand for you?

If nabwong would have said that the Invisible Shield was thicker and less prone to micro-scratching, as you said in your post, I would have said maybe he was right since I don't have an IS to prove or disprove that particular assertion, but the fact is that nabwong described a scenario that is virtually impossible. That slip indicates he made up the story.

Last edited:

IOwner

1) Stop getting so defensive about the B.S.E.

2) I've owned both. The IS is better than the BSE, and the iPod WILL get scratched through the BSE. Don't believe me? Peel some off. The IS, however, keeps it scratch free.

domitron

1) I didn't get defensive about BSE. I just don't like stories that aren't true. His wasn't true.

2) I don't believe you. The back of these units, by the way, scratch by a fingernail due to the idiotic finish that Apple puts on them, so if you take the BSE off, one could scratch it from their nails. I don't buy the BSE will scratch it while it's on the unit, and furthermore, I will not take mine off just to prove it.

If you want to spend $25 for 50 cents of plastic, please do. I have no objection. Personally $7, while still overpriced, makes more sense to me.

funkpod

Website
www.soul-kitchen.org
i plan on using the BSE as an alternative to the martin fields back.
(since the MF doesn't cover all sides)
i am using a MF on the front of my ipod.

i WAS totally set on getting an IS, but i got worried about using water as the it was applied.
getting water in the ipod (i know it's just a little bit, but knowing me, somehow it would get in...)

so, i figure the BSE will do the trick.
'sides, i dont' plan on using ONLY the film applicators, i plan on using some sort of case as well.
i want to protect against drop damage.

~funkpod
soul-kitchen.org for good soul.

ExTrEmE

Invisible shield is very thick and very durable ive recommended it too my cousins and a few friends and they all love it and dont regret a thing.

domitron

funkpod, the BSE and IS both use soapy water during application. The amount of water is tiny and will not damage the unit. If you units really were damaged by a few drips of water, we'd have some pretty angry workout buffs out there, don't you think?

domitron

Oh, and just to clear the air here. I have no doubt that IS _could_ be a better film. Certainly for four times the price, it _should_ be. However, I don't buy this stuff about IPODs being scratched while the BSE is on the unit. As I talked about above, the amount of force to scratch the acrylic through the BSE is on the oder or 10s of pounds with a sharp metal object. There is no way that's just going to suddenly happen in my pocket (I'm just not that gifted down there to create that kind of super high pressure).

domitron

Believe it or not, I did not keep the old piece of scratched plexiglas for two months. My ipod looks fine, though. I see minor scraches in the plastic, but nothing you can see without careful inspection. I use my ipod daily and store it with coins and stuff in my pocket. If I did not have the shield, it would be very scratched very badly by now.