Best Rock Voice

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

antiditz

We've already talked about favorite instrumentalists - we've covered drummers, guitarists, even tambourine players.

I was wondering who y'all thought had the best voice in rock. Not in the American Idol sense of the word (no Mariah Carey or Andrea Bocelli-type entries, please), but a voice that works best for singing rock. Also, I don't mean your favorite frontman - this has to do with voice only, nothing regarding personality, look, stage presence, etc.

My vote - Chris Cornell. First with Soundgarden, then with Audioslave, this guy just rules. The guy has tremendous range; his voice resonates through a song almost as if it's its own instrument. I love how he almost wraps his voice around the words - that's the best way I can think of to describe it.

So, who do you think is the best rock voice?

bdb

On the B side of life
I'd say Rachael Yamagata. I saw she was coming to town, so I checked out her performance on KCRW. "Wow, she's good," I said to myself. So I got tickets for me & my wife.

The first song she belted out, my wife leans over to me, and says, "wow, she's good!"

Apparently RCA thought so as well; Rachael was signed before she ever even recorded a demo.

She's not a great songwriter, but she's good enough that she doesn't totally rely on other songwriters, so unless something changes with the writing she'll never be a big name in rock/pop.

Doug Gilmour

Intelligentleman
Website
www.last.fm
Morrissey, no question. Jeff Buckley's is great, but none can match Moz. Majestic and lush like no voice I've ever heard. Excellent with The Smiths and a great solo career which is still going to date (including an upcoming 30-date UK tour). Glum and morose yet it all sounds so beautiful. 'I Know It's Over' and 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' are perfect examples of such. The way his voice flowed with his Marr's jangle was also very special as displayed in 'This Charming Man'.

Say what you want about his personality, but his voice, his voice....

-Dan

Matt174e

As soon as I seen the title of this thread I was anxous to say Chris Cornell! He is by far my favorite singer. He sounded his best in the band Temple of the Dog, and his solo album is a great inventment too!

Glad to see another Soundgarden fan :)

NiTRO

Pleather BarcaLounger
Wow! There are so many of them. I base a good voice in a similar fashion to the way I rate a guitar player, less emphasis on technical prowess and more on uniqueness and musical delivery.

My 15 Best Rock Voices Are (there's no way to just name one):

Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
Chris Cornell (circa Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog)
Bradley Nowell (Sublime)
Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees, solo works)
Wayne Coyne (The Flaming Lips)
Toni Halliday (Curve)
Layne Stayley (Alice in Chains, Mad Season)
Kim Deal (Pixies, Breeders)
Ian Astbury (The Cult)
Rob Halford (Judas Priest)
Morrissey (The Smiths, solo works)
Bjork (The Sugarcubes, solo works)
Kevin Martin (Candlebox, solo works)
Tom Waits (solo works)
Roger Daltry (The Who)

Last edited:

wezman2k

there are way too many great rock vocalists to choose just one. each adds their own unique style to the music.

atom_young

I like so many different vocalists and for different reasons. No one would say that Bob Dylan is the best (well, maybe some hardcore fans), but I love his voice. Same for Neil Young. Both of them have atypical voices, but their voices add so much depth and emotion and help me to connect with the lyrics.

Having said that, my favorites would be:

Morrissey
Cedric Bixler (At the Drive-In, Mars Volta) <--never heard a better vocalist live, perfect vocals for 2.5 hours
John Fogerty <--I've got a huge soft spot for CCR, Fogerty is powerful
Robert Plant
Thom Yorke <--maybe isn't the first to spring to your mind, but I can hear elements of him in lots of artists, so influential
Van Morrison

and of course, Bob and Neil

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
Cobain, Cobain, Cobain.

He might not be the best but I absolutely dig that voice!

antiditz

Kristiano said:
Chris Martin?
Yeah, I was waiting for E_R to come back with that one... :D

Another good one - Kelly Jones (Stereophonics). There was always something I liked about his voice. I first heard him on the I am Sam OST, covering the Beatles "Don't Let Me Down." All scratchety goodness.

I'm surprised no one mention Alec Ounsworth.. ;) That's the yelping guy from Clap Your Hands... so many people on these boards seem to love.

jedk

For pure rock power, Meat Loaf, by far. The man sings every note as though it’s the most important note he’s ever sung.