Best Radiohead albums? Eh?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

badboy0

raine said:
Badboy0, why don't you tell us what you like to listen to. THEN I will ensue in some pretty serious mocking. Fool.

...Basically, if you listened to OK Computer once and hated it, you're like so many people that have no idea how to listen to music.
Hey, thanks.

Ozzy, Sabbath, Van Halen, Johnny Winter, Meshuggah, Deng Li Jun, Motorhead, Linkin Park. Some old, some new. Start mocking...

Ok enlighten me - how do you listen to music?

smirf83

Signal to Noise said:
If you are really into Radiohead then another band to check out which have some similarities (vocally and musically) is Muse. Their "Absolution" CD is fantastic!
I agree, Muse rock but I think Origin of Symmetry is their best album. Absolution is probably next in my view.

smirf83

Signal to Noise said:
If you are really into Radiohead then another band to check out which have some similarities (vocally and musically) is Muse. Their "Absolution" CD is fantastic!
I agree, Muse rock but I think Origin of Symmetry is their best album. Absolution is probably next in my view.

raine

SY Fanboy
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
Here I come!

Linkin Park: Nu Metal screaming crap. They like Radiohead.
Van Halen: Crap '80's hair rock. No good. They just had geetarists with cool names.
Ozzy: King of goth suck.

Just a quick rundown of your music. Linkin Park has yet to release anything good or clever, or anything intelligent lyrically. Van Halen is all about tired geetar solos. Ugh. Ozzy eats rodents. Disgusting.

Sabbath, used to be good. Now, a bunch of old guys. Errgh. Basically, as I see it, you like some sort of riff or solo that will drag you in. Hair metal and Nu Metal have always blown. I suggest staying far away. Yet, you said on another thread that you liked Pink Floyd, which is about as close to Radiohead as you can come in any genre. I already have a huge amount of respect for Pink Floyd. This absolutely baffles me, because you appear to like some really bland, unoriginal music, but then you like Pink Floyd, and they're excellent. Basically, if you like Pink Floyd, you should like Radiohead. It doesn't make any sense.

If you don't like a song the first time through, or it bores you, it's probably because you haven't listened hard enough to the lyrics, or paid enough attention to the details, or given enough time for the music to sink into your system. I recommend giving OK Computer about ten more listens. It isn't abrasive, horrible or offensive by most standards, unlike Korn or some other crap people love nowadays. So, if you give it the time of day, you will at least learn to respect what Radiohead has done with their masterpiece of an album. That's what I have to say on this matter.

badboy0

raine said:
Basically, as I see it, you like some sort of riff or solo that will drag you in.
Good call.

And thanks for the critique/advice.

smirf83

raine said:

Linkin Park: Nu Metal screaming crap
Linkin Park has yet to release anything good or clever, or anything intelligent lyrically.
:eek: :eek: BLASPHEMER!!!! ;) Dunno what you've got against LP, personally I like their music but each to his own. :)

PrintNameHere

Linkin Park blows chunks.

It is cool to have your opinion on Radiohead, but please state why you think they "suck", I can understand if they are average or Ok, but suck? I don't know, that is pretty bad.

BTW, which Van Halen albums are your favourite? I am getting the vibe that you just added them to your list just for the sake of having an "old" band on it.

badboy0

PrintNameHere said:
BTW, which Van Halen albums are your favourite? I am getting the vibe that you just added them to your list just for the sake of having an "old" band on it.
As for Radiohead, I just find them slow and boring, and I don't like Thom's singing. Their songs just don't do anything for me. However, admittedly when it comes to music I don't have a lot of patience, I need something to grab me - raine pegged me stone cold LOL. Maybe that's why.

As for Van Halen: Van Halen, Van Halen II, and 1984 are my favourites. Panama is my favourite Van Halen song, in fact my favourite song period.

But, your vibe is way off - in fact I find your comment quite strange. Johnny Winter is also on my list, not to mention Black Sabbath. Both are older than Van Halen. Yet, you say I put Van Halen there just to have something old on my list??? Makes no sense at all.

For the record, my absolute favourite by Johnny Winter is Live - Johnny Winter And. Favourite Sabbath album is Master of Reality.

raine

SY Fanboy
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
I can see how you'd find Thom's voice annoying or abrasive, or their music slow and boring. But after learning to love The Tourist, the final track, which took me quite a while to do (about 4-5 years, I was 13-14) I gained a great appreciation for slower, patient music. So, I can go from Pearl Jam's Rearview Mirror to Interpol's NYC without missing a beat now, and I enjoy both the quick and the slow. It's a wonderful thing to appreciate with time. The Tourist is really cool live, mainly because of Jonny's rippin solo in this one version I have. But Radiohead can take a huge amount of time to love. Took me 2+ years to enjoy Kid A at all. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to only like hooks and such in music, but it is good to appreciate those slower songs. I found myself loving "When the Levee Breaks" from Zep after realizing that I had done the exact same thing before. Most people grow to love Radiohead, or appreciate them. You don't have to. I just like it when people listen to the best music they can.

lightintodark

Betrayer of Rock n Roll
Website
www.myspace.com
Although I love ALL Radiohead albums, they are not all easy to listen to. It took a while for Kid A to grow on me. So to answer the question (just an opinion, of course:)), the best album would have to be The Bends.

iPodHawk

raine said:
I can see how you'd find Thom's voice annoying or abrasive...
Based on my first couple of (interrupted) listens to OK Computer, that's pretty much the only complaint I have so far - at times the lead vocals aren't doing much for me. I do, however, like the music. It's rich and multi-textured, and while it can be slow at times, they also show an ability to kick up the energy. This variety in tempo/"atmosphere" is a positive.

When I have a chance to actually listen through the whole thing without interruption, I'll probably be able to form a more coherent opinion of it, those are just my initial impressions.

emerica817

my favorite radiohead album would have to be Amnesiac, but my favorite song of theirs is Talk Show Host, which is off of the romeo and juliet soundtrack

raine

SY Fanboy
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
That is such and awesome song. I love the line "I'll be waiting with a gun and a pack of sandwiches."

I personally love Thom's voice. I think it's awesome. I'm trying to get used to the voice of Fugazi, but it could grow on me. I love it when lead singers have really distinctive voices. Like Paul Banks of Interpol, or that one guy from The Shins. Both have cool voices.

PrintNameHere

Ha, he is complaining about the vocals in Radiohead but listens to linkin park.

Whatever floats your boat.