Best NC phones for sleeping with snorers?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

SolidState

Any ideas? Tried a search but only found info about drowning out airline noise.

Want decent sound quality with the ability to drown out any snoring when I'm sleeping. I'm going camping over New Years and need them desperately! My budget is ~$300.

Solid

MikeM

Administrator
Look at earphones like the shure e2 ($80), sony ex-71($50), any etymotic series phone ($100-300), etc. They insert into your ears just like earplugs but have a small driver and opening to play music through.

Noice cancelling headphones are large and require separate batteries. You'll be able to sleep much better with the earphones. The best part is that you don't even need to have the music on to get isolation from the snoring.

jh-retired

Agreed. Snoring is not exactly the type of thing that active NC headsets are good at. NC is best at reducing 'average noise'-- like the constant whine of an airplane engine.

Best thing for blocking out talking/snoring is 'isolation' earphones, or 'passive' NC technology. Basically earplugs that sing. ;)

The disadvantage there is that I'm not sure how comfortable it would be to sleep with isolating earplugs in your ear canal.

That said, I love my E2s. A lot.

Bob

Administrator
Website
forums.ilounge.com
What you need are these - The SleepSoft filters are optimized for dampening environmental sounds, especially for low tones that occur when somebody snores.

Trouble with most NC earphones is the cable - turn over once too often and out pop the phones. You'd be better off with plugs. Trust me...

SolidState

Thanks everyone for the info. I realize that Noise Cancelling phones won't fit the bill, and that I will most likely need earplug-type phones. I think it will be easier to sleep with plugs rather than cans!

In terms of sound quality, which are better, the Shure's or the Ety's? There's quite a large price difference. I mainly listen to dance/trance.

Solid

SkippyMcHaggis

i'm not sure about sleeping in some of the canalphones that are out there.

i live in a house with a horrendous snorer, and i just wear earplugs every night. i'm actually so used to it now that i don't sleep real well without them. i'm a pretty light sleeper.

the plugs i have are some soft foamies that are rated to block around 35db's. and since they're foam, i cna throw them away for hygene's sake, and i'm not really afraid of damaging my ear canals from some piece or hard plastic getting shoved in there as i sleep. again, i love canal phones, so i'm not afraid to put stuff in my ears, i'd just be a bit concerned about damaging my ears, or even my phones sleeping on them too much.

Skip

MikeM

Administrator
I believe SolidState said it was for a camping trip. I think its fine for a few nights.

I would be concerned sleeping with them a lot- mostly about pulling a wire free from the phone or crimping it badly.