Best mp3 ripper?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

KraziKid

I currently use iTunes to rip my CD's into 160 kbps mp3's. I was recently told I should try another dedicated ripper. I have heard of EAC, and LAME, but do not know much about them. I really only have used MusicMatch and iTunes to rip CD's. And help and informations is appreciated.

KraziKid

THEMEMANIA said:
Exact Audio Copy with LAME set as the External compressor.
I tried this before, and it seems to take much, much longer than iTunes. Is there a reason?

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
KraziKid said:
I tried this before, and it seems to take much, much longer than iTunes. Is there a reason?
Because it is of a higher quality?

But really, EAC with LAME is the best, by far, ripper for MP3's.

Sam Williams

Yeah - and it can even correct (to an extent) scratches and dirt on CDs, which is an awesome feature. All of this good stuff only applies in Secure Mode, though - so make sure you've selected that. It is slow, but it Doesn't Make Errors, unlike the alternatives.

DrWebster

Music Addict
Website
www.drwebster.net
I use Piokosoft's Easy CD-DA Extractor with the LAME codec and error correction enabled. I get about 10x ripping speed (I've gotten up to 36x with error correction off in MusicMatch) but the quality is excellent.

Hyper-X

Program Manager
I use one of many hacked Fraunhofer MP3 codecs called Radium and so far it's done a very good job at 192kps.

There's a lot of references and comments to the LAME codec but what makes it that much better? Is it because it rips faster, or does it really sound better, or is it just the popular choice?

I listen to music almost 90% through headphones and I can easily point out evidence of MP3 compression especially at levels below 192, however not all that I've listened to sounded bad and still retained a small file size.

If someone has a link to where I can find the answers in detail, I'd really appreciate it.

Elmy

There's a lot of references and comments to the LAME codec but what makes it that much better? Is it because it rips faster, or does it really sound better, or is it just the popular choice?
LAME went through about a year of fine tuning and listening to get a set of optimum settings for each bitrate. This was done by the people at www.hydrogenaudio.com

The setting generally considered to be transparent is --preset standard and has a bitrate of 180-220kbps depending on the type of music.

It really is much, much better than other MP3 encoders

reorx24

Dwarven god of yore
lame-eac all the way. I agree it takes a bit longer, but its worth the wait. With other rippers, you have to listen to the newly-minted mp3s to make sure they were properly ripped, no hiccups, etc. No such worries with lame-eac. Simply the best, as voted by audiophiles and average users alike.