Best Home Speakers?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Ehoop

What in your opinion is the best in Home speaker set-up or speaker set that I can get for under 500USD that will give me rich in home sound. Doesn't have to be ridiculous surround theatre quality, just good strong,non-distortion sound?

Thanks.

AVService

Ther are literally 1000's of speakers out there for $500.00 and under.
If you want recommendations can you be a little more specific about your needs?
I am curious if you are looking for the tiny portable speakers that most users here are looking at or real,hi-fi speakers powered by seperate reveivers/amplifiers?
Do you already have a system and just need speakers or will you be buying the entire system?
What kind of room,what size speakers,what cosmetic considerations,have you seen/heard anything you like already?

You asked a really open question.

Banned
500 is a tricky price.. its enough money to get some awesome speakers or..... to get an awesome amp.. or get an awesome sub, but not all three

:(

You can however go lowfi and get a cheaper system.. or you could get 1 component of a entry midfi system.. like a pair of bookshelf speakers.

jwegriffin

One word: 'ZVOX'

I considered buying the hugely expensive Bose (Blatently Overpriced Sound Equipment) that goes for $300 in Canada. But then I came across the single enclosed ZVOX 315, which is huge beside the SoundDock, but still quite portable. It has three front speakers and a rear-firing subwoofer. It also has a tunable phase control system that makes the sound appear to be coming from every part of the room. It costs $100 in Canada (they used to be $299, so they are obviously clearing them out).

Highly recommended!

Griff

jwegriffin

I got two of them from CompuSmart. They are selling for $100, but if you also buy a PC you get a $100 rebate. So basically they are giving them away! I guess they are not selling at all well in Canada.

I got them from the Burlington Ontario branch, but there are branches everywhere. You can also buy them online I believe (www.compusmart.com).

Good luck...

Griff

bordeaaj

If you are lookin for a system and not just the speakers I would take a look at the reviews from the Audiophile, Audiophile Voice, and Stereophile magazines (among others) for the Tivoli systems. The $160 Tivoli Model 2 with the optional $79 Model Subwoofer is probably the best. It is very small, a bit retro, and understated but pumps out audiophile quality sound you would apparently have to spend close to $1000 on a full size system to approach otherwise. It works perfectly with a direct input from the line-out port of the iPod dock or an iPod FM transmitter. There is also matching cd and satellite components if needed. Very, very nice.
http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.php?productid=144&cat=&page=1

Last edited:

Banned
Tivoli is definitely a quality product, but its no where even close to the sound quality of what you can get for 1,000 bucks, not even remotely close, Its a single 2.5/3" paper cone driver (no tweeter), there is not much it can do, Granted, tiviole offers a very nice solid cherry cabinetry, but only goes so far as to allow the driver to sound its best with minimal coloration. There is only so much the little tiviole drivers can do. I’m really not trying to knock it because I like the tiviol’s I think its far better than the wave radio, but its not very economical because comparable priced multimedia systems are much better but they don’t wont have as nice of a cabinet finish.

bordeaaj

007 said:
Tivoli is definitely a quality product, but its no where even close to the sound quality of what you can get for 1,000 bucks, not even remotely close, Its a single 2.5/3" paper cone driver (no tweeter), there is not much it can do, Granted, tiviole offers a very nice solid cherry cabinetry, but only goes so far as to allow the driver to sound its best with minimal coloration. There is only so much the little tiviole drivers can do. I’m really not trying to knock it because I like the tiviol’s I think its far better than the wave radio, but its not very economical because comparable priced multimedia systems are much better but they don’t wont have as nice of a cabinet finish.
Yeah, I agree it is pretty hard to believe that such a tiny system could sound as good as a $1000 system, it is just too small. But I have a Model 2 and it seems to sound at least as good as my two bulky $600 multimedia systems, a Panasonic and a Sony, and one fairly old Yahama receiver that cost about $400 by itself. Though the Tivoli does not have their tweakability or quite the room-shaking volume potential it is very capable of getting far louder than you can comfortably listen to without any distortion. I bought a big new house with a built-in entertainment center in the living room that aesthetically limits what kind of audio-visual components I can use. So I started looking for a small scale system and bought the Tivoli because the reviews from the audiophile mags were pretty unanimous on the quality. They made the statements themselves that you would have to spend $800-$1000 on a full size receiver, antenna, and speakers to better the sound and reception. The Panasonic and Sony systems I now use for entertainment systems on two big screens downstairs and the Yamaha for the ambient sound system throughout the house. I received lots and lots of advice from friends, relatives, and forums like this one before I ended up with the Tivoli. If you really want to get confused post a question like this on a stereophile forum...if 10 experts reply you'll get 10 different answers. The same goes when you ask advice in the electronics stores. I don't claim to be an expert or stereophile, but I did do a little research and I ended up trusting the many audiophile magazine reviewers, I figured these guys are the real experts, and I was definitely not disappointed in the purchase. The price, size, and sound would be perfect for almost any room if you like their retro style. It sounds awesome, hooks up nicely with my iPod, and just blends in with the furniture and you don't have to deal with an ugly stack of components and wires in the corner or on the bookshelf. There are a lot of great choices out there, and I don't doubt that there are better full-size systems in the $800-$1000 range, but to approach those systems for $160 ($240 with optional subwoofer) in such a nice looking, universally expert-appreciated & critically-acclaimed little package makes it well worth the consideration.:)

Though, one of those very affordable home theater-in-a-box systems might be a more efficient, fun, and useful choice as well...single component dvd/cd/fm/am, surround sound speakers with subwoofer...not bad at all.

Last edited:

DrewT

Website
cntp.rh.ncsu.edu
check out the t-amp by sonic impact for your amp. It's small and ugly, but it's cheap ($35), simple (one knob), and rivals $350 and $500 (well, it actually beats teh $350) amplifiers.

It's 15 watts @4 ohms into 2 channels, but don't expect 15 watts with decent THD.

Check out the reviews of that, and I'd suggest using that for an amp. Then you can spend good money on speakers!

-Drew

slacz

i think a lot of the home speakers for the ipod are a bit overpriced. Check out the Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers.. it comes with a subwoofer in a 3 piece system.. these things are pretty powerful and you can get one for as low as $60 ... (coz some shops sell it for $79). Me and a lot of my friends have this system for our computers and ipods.

Banned
Interesting you mentioned the ATP-3's. I have owned a lot of cheap mm systems including the ATP's which I got for 40 bucks from a retail store (fry's) For the money, nothing could beat them. Granted the Klipsch Promedia 2.1’s were a lot better, but also a lot more money ($170), but the ATP's offered a lot of sound quality for their price. I would defiantly recommend those to anyone in the sub 100 dollar price range. The cool thing aobut the ATP3's is they also come in white to match your ipod!

slacz

yup, those ATP3's are awesome! I first heard it in my friends place and i couldnt believe how powerful and clear those things sounded. Had to get one for myself.. i think its one of the best in its price range. I didn't know they had those in white(none in the malls here).. hmmmm.... have to check those out in the net...

slacz

i just saw the white ATP3's in the net, those things look really nice! They would match nicely with the ipod.. wish they had those back here though..

mattwardfh

Website
rmward.com
I'm a big fan of NHT's speakers; if you can swing it, the bookshelf SB3 is really great at $600/pair, with a nice, detailed sound and good bass extension. Their SB2 model is similar but at $400/pair.

Also, I recently put together a bedroom system based on their vintage (and critically aclaimed) SuperZeroes ($140 on clearance) and a used SW1P subwoofer ($175) that's absolutely amazing for just over $300. You could find the SuperOnes similarly cheap.

Oh! And the SuperZeroes/Ones, SB1 and SB2 come in a beautiful piano-laquer white that would be a great iPod match.

Stereophile has the Paradigm Atom v.3 in class D (bargains) of their recommended components list. I think they're $200/pair. Should be great for the money.

Athena sells some speakers through Best Buy that are also good for the money. If you want a tower speaker, that's a good cheap one.

Just stay away from the brands that usually do electronics. Sony, JVC, Onkyo, Phillips, Yamaha, RCA, Pioneer, and so forth don't make good speakers. And don't buy Bose. For what they charge, you can get a real speaker, with just a little extra effort toward looking around.

If you need a receiver/amplifier, Onkyo is at the nicer end of the mass-market stuff, though you might consider Yamaha too. If you don't need home theater capablities, you can get a nicer amp for the money by going with a stereo receiver instead of a home theater receiver.

One other option is to find an audio/home theater store in your area, tell them your budget, and ask what they recommend. If they know their stuff, they'll be able to point you in the direction of something nice. And they might have some used gear on trade-in that'll help you get something nicer than what you'd otherwise be able to afford.

Last edited:

altcountryman

no depression
mattwardfh said:
One other option is to find an audio/home theater store in your area, tell them your budget, and ask what they recommend. If they know their stuff, they'll be able to point you in the direction of something nice. And they might have some used gear on trade-in that'll help you get something nicer than what you'd otherwise be able to afford.
I agree with this completely. At first, it seems counterintuitive - going to where they sell the most expensive stuff to get a deal. But a good shop will listen to you, understand what you want, and won't try to sell you something that's not what you need, and not in your price range. And good used gear is a strong possibility.