Best for in car iPod solutions?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

redlittlewing

I have a 2002 Toyota Corolla LE, but I don't have an in-car CD system (just tape deck only), so I could use some suggestions for a good non-installation system with charger for playing my 4G iPod in it.

I've heard a lot of conflicting reports, and I'd really like to find the best possible answer, as I am really just confused right now.

Thanks!

Blue_Dawg

Brainwashed Right Winger
well, I use the sik imp. it both charges and has a line out so you get a nice clean sound. You can plug in the line out to a cassette adapter and it should work just fine. Good luck!!

redlittlewing

Thanks for the recommendation - is there a particular cassette adapter that you'd recommend? I've heard some negative reviews of the two on the apple site, so I'm curious whether there was one that didn't suffer from such issues.

Also, out of curiosity, does anyone reading this come from the Bay Area, CA? In that case, does anyone own an iTrip and how effective is it in the Bay Area - it goes to assume that we have pretty saturated FM bands, so I'm not sure how well it'd work here...

Last edited:

claw

I am in bay area. I got this iTrip and it does not give good sound. I do not recommend it, but I am not sure it's the reception or it's my car stereo not good enough.

jgartin

I have the Monster iCarPlay. It's an all-in-one FM transmitter/charger. It has the same problems that all FM transmitters have, but it is definately the best looking/functioning of these devices for iPod. They also have a similar charger with a line-out instead of a transmitter--you could use a cassette adapter with this. You might also want to pull your stereo out and see if there's some sort of line-in on the back of it. Cassette adapters don't always have the best sound. They are better than FM, though.

GavinD

a good non-installation system that is sort of impossible. It is fairly well known that the only ones with good quality sound are directly connected. The tape deck sounds decent but it???s tacky.

Blue_Dawg

Brainwashed Right Winger
I live in the bay area but I do not use the iTrip because I have heard tons of negative things about it. I had a Radio Shack tape adapter that worked just fine. You don't always need to spend a bloody fortune on stuff like that IMHO

ScientificLee

I live about 15 minutes outside of Manhattan. The iTrip is a poor solution. I have to switch radio stations about every 10 minutes as I drive through Westchester, Northern NJ, and Manhattan. It's even less tolerable when making long interstate drives.

redlittlewing

Blue_Dawg said:
I live in the bay area but I do not use the iTrip because I have heard tons of negative things about it. I had a Radio Shack tape adapter that worked just fine. You don't always need to spend a bloody fortune on stuff like that IMHO
Is there a particular tape adapter that I need? I think I'm going to get the Sik Imp (for charging purposes) and also that it supports the usage of cassette adapters, which is good since I need that.

Does anyone know if there are any additional items I need for that plan - connecting wires, etc?

Thanks for all your help so far!