Best concerts of ALL TIME! (56k Warning)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

PrintNameHere

Please choose the appropriate forum for this topic. Thank you. Personally, I believe Pink Floyd puts on the best concerts of all time. No questions asked. I know the Beatles were the first to play Stadiums, but jesus. Pink Floyd has legendary light shows, and, well, THE WALL. Post some pics of what you consider the best concert ever put on.

I really do not think any other band can touch what they have done Live. Especially with The Wall-I mean building a 50 foot wall up on stage and then tear it down at the end was no easy feat, and they accomplished it stunningly. Pink Floyd concert's paved the road to modern concerts now.

That's all for now. Post your own.

NiTRO

Pleather BarcaLounger
I'm a big fan of Pink Floyd and I've seen their show but personally, I prefer a band that plugs in and rocks.

Prince has done both types of shows but when he just plays he's never better. He captivates his audience simply through smoking musicianship and raw energy. Rage Against The Machine also used to put on an amazing show without any props whatsoever. That's impressive to me.

dragfree

Simple-minded
Well, among the greatest performances I've attended I'd sure put the Talking Heads in 1983 near the top. McCoy Tyner with Stanley Clarke & Billy Cobham were terrific a few weeks ago--certainly the best club jazz performance I've enjoyed, right up there with Keith Jarrett, Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden, & Paul Motian back in the '70s. Elvis Costello & the Attractions, the English Beat, and the Clash all put on great performances with terrific music (isn't the music the point?). I've probably never had more fun than at shows in small venues with Steel Pulse, Taj Mahal, and King Sunny Ade & his African Beats. Tower of Power does a great show. My memory of concerts when I was a kid is a bit hazy (too many mind-altering substances back then?), but I'll never forget seeing The Who when they started their U.S. tour after releasing Tommy back in '69 or '70. A dozen years ago Lyle Lovett & his Large Band (with Francine Reed!) were superb.

Late one cold winter night in Sante Fe about 10 years ago I was passing by the plaza and heard a small band of Chilean emigres on a side street making incredibly beautiful music on pipes, harps, & guitars. Just me and them--a somewhat surreal and hauntingly beautiful experience I'll never forget.

Lest we forget, the intimacy of chamber music is hard to beat. I was fortunate to hear the Guarneri Quartet long ago--the first time I ever heard a string quartet live and I don't think I've ever heard better playing. Just a couple of weeks ago I finally got to hear the great guitarist John Williams in San Francisco, and that was superb. Andrew Manze and the Academy of Ancient Music were glorious. For consistently great performances I recommend the home team: Michael Tilson Thomas conducting the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra--though for brilliant music combined with a terrific show it's tough to beat either the Opera or the Ballet--in SF or any other fine company.

Finally--just a tip--sports stadia are for football or baseball. I've never been to a concert in one, but have been to several in basketball arenas and can't even recommend such venues--at least, not if you're interested in the music. Too much noise, too many people, lousy acoustics, and too many distractions.