Best Concept Album

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

wolfpacker

We had an interesting side discussion on another thread (change the face artist) about concept albums. I'm a big fan of the Concept Album and Rock Operas.
Any other fans? What are your favorites?

I know we have a least one vote for The Wall ;)

jedk

That vote for The Wall would be from me :) I think it's the best concept album for the way in which it tells the story of Pink, through shuffling time and space, the real and the surreal, and the painful memories of Pink's past. It is definitely one of the, if not the most complex and finely made concept albums, in my opinion. Doug Glimour posted a link to a very useful site in the other thread, which I suggest anyone should read for a lot of info on The Wall.

Anyway, that is all I will post for now because I need to be heading off shortly ;)

Doug Gilmour

Intelligentleman
Website
www.last.fm
Definitely The Wall. Next on my list would be David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, which is one of my favourite albums.

-Dan

iPodHawk

Being a big Who fan, naturally I'm fond of Tommy and Quadrophenia. I don't think that Tommy has aged particularly well as a whole, although I still like certain moments. I still like Quadrophenia a lot, I don't think that there's much in the way of weak material there.

Even better is the collection of music that Townshend wrote for the aborted "Lifehouse", much of which formed the foundation of the "Who's Next" album, which had no formal theme. Using various lists of songs that were either part of the original concept or written later during attempts to revive the story, I put together a killer mix CD of Lifehouse-related music. Now if I could only find where I put it... ;)

wolfpacker

I'd love to see your Lifehouse mix and make that a playlist. I have a TON of Who stuff and hopefully have all of the songs.
Although I think Lifehouse giving way for Who's Next was probably for the better. Who's Next is such a great, tight album. Probably a much better career move than ANOTHER Rock Opera. What a great band.

I agree, Tommy sounds dated today. It was still working in the late 70s, when at least Pinball was still around and I was discovering Rock as a pre-teen. Still a fascinating album.

In addition to my love of all things Who (and Floyd), I'm a big RUSH fan. Rush had some great concept album SIDES. 2112 is still really cool to me today. And the 2 part Cygnus/Hemispheres saga that spans two albums is great stuff.

More recently (but still quite a ways back), I really liked Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime. Quite a theatrical show they put on, up there with the Who performing Quadrophenia a few years back.

wolfpacker

Was just going thru setting stuff up for my DVR to record. Pink Floyd: The Wall is on HDNet Sunday at 9pm!

PHiX

Prince Paul: A prince Among Thieves

It's pretty much a hiphop opera... a story about some kid taking the wrong turn in life, tied together by songs.

Deltron 3030.... it's so nerdy, it's cool.

Doug Gilmour

Intelligentleman
Website
www.last.fm
wolfpacker said:
Was just going thru setting stuff up for my DVR to record. Pink Floyd: The Wall is on HDNet Sunday at 9pm!
Good thinking! How much did the DVR cost, my father was looking into getting one before...

-Dan

wolfpacker

I have Time-Warner Digital Cable, so just rent the combo set-top-box/DVR for $7/month. Best deal going for HD-DVR. There is a Tivo/Directv available for satellite users, but the HD version is pricey (like close to $1000 I think)

iPodHawk

wolfpacker said:
I'd love to see your Lifehouse mix and make that a playlist. I have a TON of Who stuff and hopefully have all of the songs.
Although I think Lifehouse giving way for Who's Next was probably for the better. Who's Next is such a great, tight album. Probably a much better career move than ANOTHER Rock Opera. What a great band.
There's a lot of interesting stuff on the whole Lifehouse project out on the internet - naturally, given Pete's personality and creative temperament, many of those sources (even his official site) can conflict with each other. As I noted before, what I've been able to gather is that there were several attempts to revive the concept, so there are some songs that I did not realize were connected to the project.

I can't get my hands on my mix at the moment, so I don't know for certain the order that I put the songs in, but here are the songs that I included:

Baba O'Riley
Pure & Easy
Behind Blue Eyes
Love Ain't For Keeping
I Don't Even Know Myself
Bargain
Going Mobile
Relay
Let's See Action
Join Together
Getting In Tune
The Music Must Change
Slip Kid
Who Are You
Won't Get Fooled Again
Song is Over
Long Live Rock

Clearly some of those songs were written for later revivals of the concept - while Let's See Action, Relay, and Join Together were remnants from the Who's Next era, for example, Slip Kid, Music Must Change and Who Are You came later on, but apparently were written for subsequent iterations of the concept. I think that most if not all of these tracks are on Townshend's big compilation "Lifehouse Chronicles" - I just cherry-picked the ones I wanted to hear the most, there are a few other songs that I have left out.

enjoilax

PHiX said:
Prince Paul: A prince Among Thieves

It's pretty much a hiphop opera... a story about some kid taking the wrong turn in life, tied together by songs.

Deltron 3030.... it's so nerdy, it's cool.
1. :D

2. Deltron is teh l337! OMG.

Actually i really like Deltron 3030, he needs to do more stuff with Automator.

But yea, Deltron 3030 is quite good.

LinkTree

Tapuz iPodForum moderator
Website
flickr.com
For my Pink Floyd are the concept album maker - even that many feels like The Wall is the only one - in some means I feel that the Final Cut and even Animals have a concept even if its not that strait forward as The Wall.

usermike2098

Gifford
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band by the beatles
I grew up with my dad listening to the Wall
2112 by rush is awesome

corndog

The Wall (Pink Floyd)
Thick as a Brick (Tull)
Quadrophenia (Who)
Autumn (George Winston)
White Winds (Andreas Wollenweider)

GreenTypewriter

The Olivia Tremor Control-Music From The Unrealized Film Script, Dusk At Cubist Castle (1996)

The Flaming Lips-Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

Last edited:

Pluto

Animals and the Wall are great.

Also, may get an argument here, but I always felt that Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was a concept album about good vs. evil.

I am also partial to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son by Iron Maiden. Don't know why but that album has great replay value, especially on long drives!