Belkin Autokit issues

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

iamaustin

Website
www.austina.net
Hey, i posted about this a while back before people started getting Belkin Autokits, but now since a lot more people have them, im going to post again.

I have an issue, when i plug my Autokit into my car's (Honda Accord V6 EX) lighter socket, after about a minute or so the audio will start cutting in and out for a second every few seconds. Its almost as if it is 'skipping' except its only the sound, the ipod isn't skipping. By the way i have my belkin charger connected to my aftermarket headunit directly. The ipod is connected to the belkin charger, the belkin charger is plugged into the center dash, the audio is connected to the belkin charger and then the other end of the audio is connected to an av switch box for the headunit.

By the way, for some reason it only does this when connected to my headunit. If i plug a pair of headphones into the belkin charger, it will not cause the breif silences.

Also, these silences do not occur when i plug the audio into the ipod's headphone port directly.

Could this be the groundloop issue? I dont hear any sound, but that may be my headunit clip'ing or something...

Any help is welcome,

Austin

thenightfly42

I had pretty sketchy sound from my Belkin, until I realized that the jack wasn't inserted all the way (D'oh!). It is possible that the line you use from the Belkin to the headunit is harder to insert than your headphones are, and you just didn't get it all the way in. Alternately, there could be a cracked wire in the line from the Belkin to the headunit.

xsfo

Sounds like (heh, get it?) you have a flaky audio connection somewhere. It's not the connection at the headunit, because you can get audio into it fine with the headphone jack.

That leaves two possibilities. The audio from the charger to the headunit, or the dock connector to the iPod. Jiggle either connector while the iPod is playing and see which one causes the break up.

I'd guess it was the iPod to dock connector that was giving you problems. If it's the dock connector, I'd exchange the autokit for a new one.

xsfo

Have you figured out if it was the dock connector or the audio jack from the charger that's giving the bad connection though?

iamaustin

Website
www.austina.net
I dont think any connection is bad. The audio cable from the headunit to the belkin charger is plugged in and is not lose. The cable from the belkin to the ipod's dock port is also plugged in firmly and is not lose, a charge is constantly being fed to it.

iamaustin

Website
www.austina.net
By the way this does not happen when i use the ipod's dock at home to have line-out to my receiver. I am thinking it has something to do with the cars lighter socket.

trippy

test the voltage through the lighter socket. Could be that it is sending spikes that the belkin unit cant handle.

xsfo

My guess now, since you haven't mentioned testing it, is that there's a loose connection in that AV switchbox you mentioned.

Again my suggestion is to jiggle the suspect part and see if you can get the audio to cut out. Let me know what happens when you jiggle the following while the iPod is playing.

1) Belkin iPod dock connector
2) Dock connector cable to Belkin charger
3) Belkin charger
4) AV switchbox

Let me know what the results are for the above cases.

xsfo

Hmm, ok how about connecting the following?

iPod ]----[ Apple Dock ]----line-out----[ AV switch

then try:

iPod ]----[ Apple Dock ]----[ Belkin Charger Dock Connector ]----[ AV switch

Do you get different behaviors between the two?

xsfo

I was just thinking that you'd probably get the same result with the Apple Dock to Belkin to AV switchbox.

Do you have to use the AV switchbox? What happens if you go straight from the Belkin to the headunit? What sort of headunit and switchbox setup do you have exactly?

The Belkin seems to work, it's just that the headunit doesn't like its output. So the headunit doesn't want to play with the Belkin.

Hey, how often do the cut outs occur? Is it once every few seconds or faster? If it's faster, does the rate of cut outs increase when you accelerate the car? If it's tied to the acceleration or engine speed then I'd look into checking out your system for a ground-loop problem with the headunit or AV switch.

iamaustin

Website
www.austina.net
Its every couple of seconds, it SEEMS to happen more often as i accelerate but not always. I dont think its a connection issue because all of this works fine if i leave out the belkin unit. If i connect the audio through the dock that came with the ipod it works fine as well. The switchbox has to be used i think, its so that the screen can be used for other things besides the built in dvd.

I think its an issue with ground-loop, but i never get any noise. Should i get a ground-loop isolater and see if it fixes anything

xsfo

Is it possible to do a quick test and plug the Belkin straight into the headunit? Or is it too difficult to get to the inputs? This is to test if the AV switchbox or headunit is not liking the Belkin audio signal.

Can you power the Belkin charger with 12v other than the car's 12v? Like an AC adapter or external battery. This is to test what the voltage may or may not be doing.

iamaustin

Website
www.austina.net
the dvd headunit doesnt have a direct cd changer to rca adapter, it uses some weird connections to connect to dvd changers, external monitors, and the Kenwood Music Keg, along with that box.

b-storm

Hey man-

It may also be a defective Belkin charger too. If nothing else seems to be the problem, then yah maybe the Belkin is a lemon. Try sending it back and asking for a replacement. Belkin has a good warranty backed on there products. Mine works fine in my truck but you also sound like you have way more electronics in your car then i do. Best of luck to you.

b-storm
Apple G4 733mhz | NVIDIA GeForce TwinView 64mb | 2x512 PC133 RAM | 12x8x32 CDRW | JBL Creature 2.1 w/Subwoofer | 2x 40GB 7200RPM HD plus 50mb Network Storage | Single 17in Apple VGA CRT | Microsoft ItelliPoint 2 button Mouse w/Scroll wheel | Apple Pro Keyboard | Mouse Wrist Pad

klduke

I think I've got the same problem. I just hooked my ipod up today to my pioneer headunit and am having the same skipping for a second every few seconds issue. Mine is in a '97 Jetta. I feel like it's definitely something wrong with the adaptor because it simply stops imputing all audio for a second and then picks it back up and repeats. The ipod itself has no trouble playing directly to the headunit. This is really frustrating. I did notice it seemed to skip less when I turned the output volume of the charger down, but I don't know what that means.